Quitting pool

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not about winning over other person, its about winning over you. Whether you lose game, no matter, just win over yourself.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Hell, if anything you do for fun, stops being fun, it's time to move on.

I would suggest you count your blessings tho. I put my cues away for medical reasons I'm hoping can be fixed. The jury still out on that one. If I get lucky, I'll bring them out of the case again...bad skill level and all.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know you love pool. Maybe it does not love you back. Turn it into something else. Play informal sets. Play for fun or very cheap sets. Take up OnePocket. Take the pressure off of yourself and just have fun. So you're not a world class player...welcome to the club. Pool will always call you. Answer it. Play and enjoy it.....got anything better to do? Fishing?...I doubt it.

Last edited:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is sad but the purpose of life is to be happy.

Reminds me of a comment by either Billy Incardona or Grady. They were commenting on a match (TAR 1 maybe) and one of them said he didn’t like to play anymore because it was too painful to only be able to play at 90% of his former ability.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you're a very good player many of us would envy to shoot as good as, but that you have very high expectations as to your goals, which is to be commended. Maybe you just need a break to get refreshed.

Just curious - what age are your? I'm guessing maybe in your 50s? At 61, I'm struggling with accepting the reality that my best days are behind me, no matter if I take the time to play and practice more than I ever have when I was younger. It is tough, and I wish you the best in whatever your decision is.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad you feel that way. If you can’t play just for the love of the game, whether you’re doing well or poorly, then maybe it’s just not the game for you. Go find what is.

For me, pool is a passion but also a struggle. I’m not naturally talented, I work for my middling mediocrity, but I love the game and I’ll be playing regardless of how well I do compared to others. For me a bad day of playing pool is still a better day than doing most anything else.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words. I'll miss the forum quite a bit, having spent some time on here almost every day. This will be my final post.

For the gentleman who asked about my cues: My main playing cue is sold, the others are not worth selling. I have one nice cue that's being restored, that I won't sell (sentimental reasons).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't play a lick anymore but I will always be a pool player. It's in my DNA! And it's part of my identity. I always feel like I'm just a week away from getting back in stroke. :D

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words. I'll miss the forum quite a bit, having spent some time on here almost every day. This will be my final post.

For the gentleman who asked about my cues: My main playing cue is sold, the others are not worth selling. I have one nice cue that's being restored, that I won't sell (sentimental reasons).

Take a break and come back. You lost a few matches. You didn't lose your shirt, house, family, life savings. Or move to Vegas,,,everyone is a loser. If it wasn't for losing nobody would know me. :D.
Stay around for spite...just to piss everyone off.
Unhappy because of your level?....take lessons, try harder.... be gracious for what you have.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Don't blame you, if it's not fun, don't do it.

By the way, I might recommend golf. Handicaps can be pretty well figured out, a casual group moves the ball around, and there is drinking and snacking for the second half of the day. I've never seen that with pool. The loser usually storms out after he's been fooked, and even the winner ends up angry for some reason.

Perhaps golf would work out better.

All the best,
WW

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....This will be my final post....

grjgV4y.gif

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
instead of losing all the time trying to beat champs why not gamble and match up and actually start winning and making money instead of being a sucker for the best players in tournaments who take all the top money down every single time.

anyway fly fishing is just as much fun and rewarding.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play for the love of the game. Natural talent - more than most but nowhere near as much as the better players. Hard work - a lot for a "casual" player but again not enough to be as good as I could be. I lose more than I win but I choose to play at a level that results in that. I could be more selective and hustle and scrape a little bit of €£$¥ beer money together or I could give up a lot of other stuff and turn my lose-win ratio against the same opposition to a win-lose ratio. But, it's too late for all that and it's also just a hobby, a passion,a diversion, a game I love. I hope you can find the same passion, if not for pool then for something else - but hopefully pool ��. It can be frustrating, very frustrating at times, when my game isn't where it "should" be but that doesn't detract from it being fun in the long term. I also believe that regardless of what level you play at you get more out of it if you are in it for the game itself. Let us know when you dust of your cue again and find that buzz that you had when you played your first adrenaline filled competitive game.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a break and come back. You lost a few matches. You didn't lose your shirt, house, family, life savings. Or move to Vegas,,,everyone is a loser. If it wasn't for losing nobody would know me. :D.
Stay around for spite...just to piss everyone off.
Unhappy because of your level?....take lessons, try harder.... be gracious for what you have.

This is all good advice and should be the base for anyone on this forum.
Private lessons were a game changer for me. The "inner game of tennis" and a highlighter marker did more for me than any match play or DVD ever could -- not just for my pool game but for my mental state at handling life in general.

Pool has given me so much. The mental self discipline, controlled breathing, controlled aggression, mental state of clarity--it's helped me become a better father, a better co-worker, and all-around better human being. All without having won one tournament.

There are endless position drills from Ralph Eckert that I have tackled for hours at a time in my basement, by myself, and tried to defeat them. And when I do, its that feeling of accomplishment that only I can share with myself. My wife and kids do not even know why I'm sitting back in my chair, sweaty and exhausted, but happy as all hell--I just won against the table and that understanding had lead to a lifetime love for this game.

Ultimately, I have realized that pool is you versus the table. It's not about who your opponent is, or what the score is...you have an opportunity to play what the table gives you and you either do or don't. Did I put in the work necessary or not?
With that level of clarity, there is not an opponent, game, or result that would make me give up playing this game.

I was over my head in a tournament, and a very good player opened up with a six pack on me (I scratched twice on the 9 in that time so the 6 pack had help from me ) but either way I was down 0-6 in a race to 9, but I knew he was the better player coming into the match. "C'mon, let's steal a frame from this guy" "it's not over yet" "ok, I'm down, how do I handle this?"
However, down 0-6, I still had some moments like that 2 rail kick out of a killer safe he left me in, to make the ball and position to run out...and that runout to stop the bleeding and make it 1-6...those were the positive moments that I set for myself and took home with me. I ended up losing 9-1, but man, that 1 was a mental hurdle and a hell of a victory for me.

Only in pool.

Some quotes I've heard along the way.....

"In order to learn how to win, you must first learn how to lose"

"In life, it's not how hard you fall, or how many times, it's how you get back up that counts."

"Do you think you're the first person to lose someone? That's what life is all about--loss! But we don't use it as an excuse to destroy ourselves. We go on, all of us." (Gene Hackman in Wyatt Earp,1994)

Life and pool are interchangeable, that's what makes the game so amazing to me.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a lifelong player (64) who also lists straight pool as by far my favorite game, I am surprised to hear that you are giving up the game completely. That particular game lends itself so well to solitary play that I can still get lost for hours on the table with no thought of anything but the enjoyment and challenge of running racks. Somewhere along the line you seem to have substituted the desire for success in competition above the love of the game's purest offerings. Perhaps it was the motivation of success that REALLY interested you in pool to begin with?
We all engage in various forms of sport and entertainment for a variety of reasons. I have found that pool has two select followings- those who first engaged in pool for the draw of gambling and status in a certain social circle, and those who first engaged in pool out of the "pleasure of small motions". Some of us are wired for solitary play and enjoyment - some of us are not. Pool offers great solice to those that are wired that way, and many of those types also crossover to competition as well - I have done both and enjoyed pool and success in each of those two venues.
I would ask you to reach out to yourself sometime, perhaps in six months or so; try to feel the reasons why you played the game at the very beginning, try to feel why 14.1 seemed so magical to you, perhaps you will come to reconnect with that love of the game again - if not, thanks so much for sharing yourself with us within this common bond! "All the Best' to you - Mike Mosconi