ER-11 vs ER-11A Collet Nut

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,
I have a 48VDC air-cooled spindle on my CNC inlay machine. It has a "ER-11" collet holder on it. It indicates pretty well, but I thought I would enhance that by getting one of Precise Bits ER-11 precision collet nuts. Well, little did I realize there is an ER-11 nut and an ER-11A nut. The "true" ER-11 won't fit on an ER-11A holder assembly. The ER-11A has a larger diameter screw thread.
Unfortunately, I held onto the Precise Bits collet nut past their return date. They haven't refused to take it back, but it was my fault, so I'm hesitant to ask (though I did just send them an email).
Then I thought I would simply pull the collet holder off my my current spindle and see if I couldn't accurately press a true ER-11 holder onto it (8mm shaft). That way I could continue to use the Precise Bits line of tools.
However I cannot find a true ER-11 collet holder ANYWHERE (McMaster-Carr, Amazon, eBay). When you dig into the details, they are all ER-11A.
So has anyone else tried to do this and did you have any success?
Should I look for an ER-16 or ER-20 collet holder and go that route?
Does anyone know why there are both ER-11 and ER-11A setups?
Sorry for all the questions, but I thought my misfortune might save someone else the same hassle in the future.
Thanks for any info,
Gary