Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that UK 11 v USA 0 ?

really? "0" not one win? did we even show up? I know nothing about this event, and if we put up a well played effort and went goose egg, so be it and better luck next year team, but ...

G>

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that UK 11 v USA 0 ?

really? "0" not one win? did we even show up? I know nothing about this event, and if we put up a well played effort and went goose egg, so be it and better luck next year team, but ...

G>
European junior team, not U.K. They BAR-B-Q'd the U.S. squad.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess noone noticed here but Atlantic Challenge Cup aka Mosconi Cup junior edition just finished with Europe winning 11:0. I am playing just a messenger here and will not comment on this topic as according to certain posters my comments are derogatory when it comes to Europe vs USA comparison. Have a nice day:)

That is exactly the point which I had already mentioned before in the Mosconi cup thread where all the different reasons and problems were discussed. The results of the Atlantic cup where the young and raising stars participate from each continent show that future Europe teams should not become any weaker but only stronger with such guns like Gorst and Zielinski for example. This Atlantic cup was the fourth event and if I remember correctly more or less competitive with some opposition it was only the first event back in 2015 but from year to year the results got worse for youth USA team and 0:11 score is very sad and should make thinking about it because if the things go the same way...Should I continue? Or is it so that the raising talents in USA grow in some shadow and are not so interested to participate in this event?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That is exactly the point which I had already mentioned before in the Mosconi cup thread where all the different reasons and problems were discussed. The results of the Atlantic cup where the young and raising stars participate from each continent show that future Europe teams should not become any weaker but only stronger with such guns like Gorst and Zielinski for example. This Atlantic cup was the fourth event and if I remember correctly more or less competitive with some opposition it was only the first event back in 2015 but from year to year the results got worse for youth USA team and 0:11 score is very sad and should make thinking about it because if the things go the same way...Should I continue? Or is it so that the raising talents in USA grow in some shadow and are not so interested to participate in this event?

Quite right. American pool has not produced a true world beater in years. Conversely, Europe has Kaci and Gorst, who I believe are both under 20, have already won Eurotour titles, and are certainly counted among the world's most elite players.

Has America had a teen player worth getting really excited about since Van Boening's emergence in 2004-05? Dechaine and Bergman, arguably, but both are now thirty-somethings. Thorpe and Woodward look like the best of the twenty-five and-under American players right now, so maybe one or both of them will be counted among the world's elite soon.

Hoping for the best.

Last edited:

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
I just want to give props to JOEY for going Hill/Hill in his match. I believe he is only 13.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know nothing how the players are picked for USA team...you have a new world champion in 9-ball U-17 Parris Mahkeal who won the title in Moscow recently but I haven't seen him on board of this team. I'm also surprised April have not managed to take a single point for the team in her singles. This year girls in team Europe were certainly a weaker point in comparison with previous years with Kristina Tkach on board...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Team Europe at the Mosconi will have Kaci and Gorst, who I believe are both under 20, have already won Eurotour titles, and are certainly counted among the world's most elite players. ...

Kaçi -- yes. Gorst -- not on this year's team.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite the loss I hope the young players had a great experience. The travel, comradery, life and pool experience must have all been special. It’s not all about the win. We’ll get them next time, or maybe the time after that.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Shane, skyler, Thorpe, Bergman, or any of the top Americans ever play in this competition when they were teens? In other words, are the organized amateur ranks known for producing America's top talent?

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then USA were out played, believe one match went hill hill.

Correction there were 3 matches that went Hill-Hill

Team USA Played Hard and with a Lot of Pride and Heart.

But we don't have anything like the Euro Tour in the US. Where as most of the players on Team Europe has played Euro events and finished well. The US doesn't sponsor their players like other countries do. But the Young People from the US played well. I watched as Joey Tate (13 year old) asked to be put in. He played hard and to the final match to Hill-Hill. Great young man with lots of heart.

I wish more people would support our juniors instead of just *****ing.

Ricky Bryant

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correction there were 3 matches that went Hill-Hill

Team USA Played Hard and with a Lot of Pride and Heart.

But we don't have anything like the Euro Tour in the US. Where as most of the players on Team Europe has played Euro events and finished well. The US doesn't sponsor their players like other countries do. But the Young People from the US played well. I watched as Joey Tate (13 year old) asked to be put in. He played hard and to the final match to Hill-Hill. Great young man with lots of heart.

I wish more people would support our juniors instead of just *****ing.

Ricky Bryant

few european states sponsor pool players.. maybe poland and russia have that (?), but i doubt any others have that. euro players hunt commercial sponsors just like anyone else

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Shane, skyler, Thorpe, Bergman, or any of the top Americans ever play in this competition when they were teens? In other words, are the organized amateur ranks known for producing America's top talent?

The Atlantic Cup is only a few years old.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Atlantic Cup is only a few years old.

Yes, this was the 4th such event, as said above by Mr. Vaskovskyi.

Edit :
2015 -- 11-9
2016 -- 11-3
2017 -- 11-2
2018 -- 11-0

All wins by Team Europe

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don’t know of a decent junior program since the BCA faded.
I took a 16 year Lion to the BCA juniors in 1995....Alex was a very good player then...
,,,but he only got a 7/8 finish....he won a McDermott cue....
..which he gave to a 9 year old when he got back to Toronto...
..Alex was always a good guy.

The BCA handed out scholarships for the top finishers in those junior tournaments....
...they did some good back then...but they got more criticism than support.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, this was the 4th such event, as said above by Mr. Vaskovskyi.

Edit :
2015 -- 11-9
2016 -- 11-3
2017 -- 11-2
2018 -- 11-0

All wins by Team Europe

They equalled the number of racks won by the US Mosconi cup team for last 3 years.
2015 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Europe 11–7 USA
2016 Alexandra Palace, London, England Europe 11–3 USA
2017 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Europe 11–4 USA

No wonder they lost badly this year. Europe has kids like Zielinkski, Gorst who played with big boys in Europe and world major events. http://www.atlanticchallengecup.com/services.html

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pt109...Just FYI, the scholarships are still handed out! If you want to blame someone, blame the parents (or others that are 'influencing' the junior players), who tend to think gambling is the way to get better...and seem to eschew professional instruction.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I don’t know of a decent junior program since the BCA faded.

The BCA handed out scholarships for the top finishers in those junior tournaments....
...they did some good back then...but they got more criticism than support.