What is the best ferrule material

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Can someone enlighten me on the difference in ferrule material, why is ivory better and is juma a plastic . is there a decent cheaper ferrule that a lot of people use, maybe Juma as I see that a lot. Trying to further my education in the pool cue market. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Can someone enlighten me on the difference in ferrule material, why is ivory better and is juma a plastic . is there a decent cheaper ferrule that a lot of people use, maybe Juma as I see that a lot. Trying to further my education in the pool cue market. Thanks
I know you're not trolling but this has been covered to death. Might just try searching this topic. There a LOT of ferrule's out there. The differences usually boil down to weight, which will affect deflection, and the hardness/crispness of the hit. Ivory is pretty and easy to clean but its also quite heavy. https://www.dzcues.com/index.html Click ferrules. Lot of good info here.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
This question is just like asking "which tip is best" or "which cue is the best" ... way to subjective to crown a winner. Ivory, Micarta, Juma, Melamine, Ivorine, etc are all fine choices but they all play different and you'll just have to try them to see what you like

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the question you asked is frustraing because no body knows for sure

no two people agree it seems

the best bet is to try them out for yourself

I know that here on Az people yak like they know,but they don't all the sophisticated talk further confuses the issue
unless Dr Dave has run test ,even then it might be that you prefer something else

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for not using the search Function. I am trying to educate my self on the matter and learning everyday, '' Don't go writing hot checks down in Mississippi and their ain't no good chain gangs'' were learning pretty well to . Or something to that effect, Again I apologize I forget to try the search function first. will do next time. I think my current cue has a Juma ferrule. I will see what my repair guy has to offer on the next go around. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for not using the search Function. I am trying to educate my self on the matter and learning everyday, '' Don't go writing hot checks down in Mississippi and their ain't no good chain gangs'' were learning pretty well to . Or something to that effect, Again I apologize I forget to try the search function first. will do next time. I think my current cue has a Juma ferrule. I will see what my repair guy has to offer on the next go around. Thanks
Juma is good. Has a softer hit than some of the other synthetics.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Actually it does. Ferrule weight has big influence on deflection and its hardness has a lot to do with how a shaft hits. Why do you think 3c players all use those really short ferrules? Keeps deflection down when spinning those big rocks.

Doubtful most can tell how much deflects because of this or that

Meh, it dont hurt effrens cueing much when hes hittin them big rocks

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember someone here on AZ that made ferrules out of Whitetail Deer Antler. Been wanting to try it myself.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that it is all about personal preference based upon trial and experience. I personally prefer ivory- but never tried tomahawk and maybe I would like it more if I tried it. But, I do know that if you play enough with ANY ferrule- you will know where to aim with that cue and the deflection will not matter. The best shooters that I ever witnessed could not care less, or maybe did not even know what ferrule material they had on their cue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There Are Substitutes But Ivory Still Remains #1.

All I know is the best cues made back in the 60’s and 70’s had ivory ferrules.
1st time I played with a cue with ivory ferrules, which wasn’t mine, I was wowed.

The acoustical sound produced by a ivory ferrule striking a cue ball has a uniqueness.
Since ivory is impervious to chalk buildup & discoloration, the ferrules remain pristine.

Playing with pool cues with clean white ferrules, properly shaped tips & smooth shafts
is very important, at least for my preferences in pool cues. Indeed, Ivory is very unique.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that it is all about personal preference based upon trial and experience. I personally prefer ivory- but never tried tomahawk and maybe I would like it more if I tried it. But, I do know that if you play enough with ANY ferrule- you will know where to aim with that cue and the deflection will not matter. The best shooters that I ever witnessed could not care less, or maybe did not even know what ferrule material they had on their cue.

I think the crux of this is that connoisseur have biased their priorities to snobbier, subtler details while good and beyond competitors have generalized their game to simply win, beat, destroy, (kidding) I meant annihilate each other. Not saying these qualities aren't attributes or mutually exclusive mind anyone...