Getting Rid of Pendulum Stroke. Digicue Loves it.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going back to piston stroke. My piston stroke is straight and this is what I had many years ago. Have any of you tried to get rid of the pendulum stroke? Post what you have; a pendulum, a piston stroke, or do you even know?

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure I’d go with the digicue’s advice on that one. I understand why the device prefers a straight cue, but if that requires you to drop your elbow, and a stationary elbow results in a tip drop, I think the tip drop is better.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure I’d go with the digicue’s advice on that one. I understand why the device prefers a straight cue, but if that requires you to drop your elbow, and a stationary elbow results in a tip drop, I think the tip drop is better.

The DigiCue only analyzes 1/20th of a second or so (though dynamic) worth of data for tip steer and straightness. Any Busty/Efren type of movements before and after this time does not affect these measurements. As long as the tip moves between your bridge hand and the cue ball in a straight line. Additionally, you can perform a perfect pendulum stroke with a stationary elbow and still score high on the DigiCue. I made a video on youtube demonstrating this. You just have to be careful of what your wrist is doing (loosen your grip).

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

How many professionals have the pure pendulum stroke? A few, but most just let the cue stick go without a dip into the cloth.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many professionals have the pure pendulum stroke? A few, but most just let the cue stick go without a dip into the cloth.

I honestly don't believe many pros, if any, consciously decided which style stroke they would use. They just went with what felt natural, smooth and comfortable, and perfected it through repetition.

The digicue is great for analyzing the stroke, but if I had to overhaul my entire stroke, or dramatically change it in order to get a particular digicue parameter to register in the green, well, I'd probably ignore that parameter.:eek: (unless it was tip steering...that needs fixed asap)

I can understand beginners or struggling players making such changes, but a really good player that's been hitting em for a few decades surely isn't going to consider reinventing his/her stroke just to satisfy a digital aide.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly don't believe many pros, if any, consciously decided which style stroke they would use. They just went with what felt natural, smooth and comfortable, and perfected it through repetition.

The digicue is great for analyzing the stroke, but if I had to overhaul my entire stroke, or dramatically change it in order to get a particular digicue parameter to register in the green, well, I'd probably ignore that parameter.:eek: (unless it was tip steering...that needs fixed asap)

I can understand beginners or struggling players making such changes, but a really good player that's been hitting em for a few decades surely isn't going to consider reinventing his/her stroke just to satisfy a digital aide.

Well said, but still wish I could play on that mans table.

It's awesome. Don't ruin this for me.

Wv!? Shit, I'll pick you up on the way.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

What you say is true. No one should change their stroke according to a device. I think that the teachers having everyone go to the pendulum stroke the minute they see the student is wrong. Maybe if the student has trouble with the elbow dropping stroke, it might be time to convert. But, if the elbow dropping stroke is straight and true, it is a superior stroke. But IMO.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...if the elbow dropping stroke is straight and true, it is a superior stroke. But IMO.
I think most people have an exaggerated idea of how much the tip moves up and down during a pendulum stroke. Here's a simple scale diagram that illustrates how little vertical movement there is right up to hitting the CB.

The most vertical tip movement happens after the CB is gone, when the tip dips toward the cloth. This shows tip movement with a 10" bridge.

pj
chgo

Attachments

• tip dip.jpg
    tip dip.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Translation for Prairre Dog from the Digi-Cue inventor: if your pendulum stroke is good, it will register a good result. Therefore, get back to the drawing board;)

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Translation for Prairre Dog from the Digi-Cue inventor: if your pendulum stroke is good, it will register a good result. Therefore, get back to the drawing board;)

Yes, but I think we need to learn both.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Honestly, right now I have both as pendulum and a piston stroke, and I'm still deciding which I like better. I have a ton of my 9 ball game built into my shoulder movement. But I ran a 50 in 14.1 with a pendulum stroke. I might try to see if I can stick with pendulum because I dont trust my shoulder under pressure. Im not the best player but I think spending time on this will play off.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh I agree with you on the whole premise that the piston stroke is more natural and should probably be encouraged rather than the pendulum stroke. I just think you are implying that the pendulum stroke can't register a perfect stroke on the digicue, and I do not think that is correct.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going back to piston stroke. My piston stroke is straight and this is what I had many years ago. Have any of you tried to get rid of the pendulum stroke? Post what you have; a pendulum, a piston stroke, or do you even know?

I watched your 1 game video. I understand your not satisfied with your stroke but is your stroke so bad that you need to change to a different stroke style all together?

You've started so many threads about the Digicue and other gadgets, I believe the parts about "your" stance, foot placement, back leg bent or straight, front foot at ~45° + -, back foot ~45°+-, where your vision center is, which fingers you grip the cuebutt with, do you create a V at the end of stroke, your PSR, CB or OB last, step on / beside shot line, ignor shot line and use another type system, which type bridge for certain shots.......

I could go on for some time about things that not just matter but, actually "MAKE" your stroke what it is or isn't.

Are you trying to get better at pool? It sure doesn't seem like it to me.

Fellow, all we know is that you are less than solid as a player from video. On top of that, you seem to change your game like most change their socks.

I'm starting to wonder what your really doing? Its starting to become VERY CLEAR that becoming a strong pool player is not your main goal!!!!!!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree that most (if not all) pros don't decide which stroke they will use. Since so many pros do drop the elbow, and very few have ever received formal instruction. It only makes sense that people believe the elbow drop to be the most natural way of stroking.

I disagree slightly with your last statement. If the Digicue, or any other device, can provide an accurate measure of one's stroke and provide instant feedback on what's wrong. Why wouldn't someone, regardless of how good they are, at least consider making a few changes? Of course, I am assuming that a good Digicue rating always correlates with a good stroke.