Rafael Martinez

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that I read that Rafael had died in Mexico a while back. Anyone out there have any info. He was/is a great player.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know it was generally understood that he had died. I have heard some rumors that he is not dead but they are very unconfirmed rumors. I hope he is alive and will play some more pool because he was/is a helluva player.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
coastydad said:
I thought that I read that Rafael had died in Mexico a while back. Anyone out there have any info. He was/is a great player.

Yes and it's beginning to look like the rumors may be true. There was a lot of talk about the rumor about a year ago and a few people who were supposed to be connected were going to do some checking to see if he could be reached, but I've not seen a thing to contradict it in the last year! It's a shame, he was truly a great player and interesting person. He spent some time in Cincinnati a few years back and we got to know one another. He came to my home a few times.
God Bless! RIP !

just more hot air!

Sherm

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I can't verify if he's dead or not.
Most say he's dead.
I talked to a man at HT who knows him really well.
He told me how Rafael was really deported. Told me he saw him in Tijuana last year down and out. Had to give him money for food b/c Rafael lost his azz on 3-c games there.
He tells me Rafael is alive in Chihuahua. He tells me this with a straight face but I don't know if I want to believe him or not.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Tom in Cincy posted on onepocket.org that rumours of his death may be exaggerated. I really hope he's right.

Still, it's been a long time since anyone has posted about actually seeing him. Morro reportedly told someone he died in Mexico. Others believe he got in money trouble which may be the reason he isn't around.

Loss of a major talent if he is gone.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
coastydad said:
From what I heard someone passed some real bad info on here about that. Pretty bad! People get all mad around here when you say that someone beat someone else in a money match but I guess you can go around saying people are dead when they aren't, and thats ok.

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
From what I heard someone passed some real bad info on here about that. Pretty bad! People get all mad around here when you say that someone beat someone else in a money match but I guess you can go around saying people are dead when they aren't, and thats ok.

You may have misunderstood the question. I am asking if anyone had any additional information regarding Rafael, not saying that he was dead. I've met Rafael many times and have the highest regard for him. Think you're getting the wrong idea here.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:

Bigdog,

I was sitting next to Tom from Cincy when he got the call that Raphael had died in Mexico. We tried to verify this and the word was out that he in fact had died somehow. We brought it up on this board back then too to see if in fact that really was the case. It was generally accepted that he probably did die. Then, gradually, there have been some rumors that he is not dead. It's kind of crazy and I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if Raphael ever shows up somewhere. I don't think anyone wishes him any harm or ill will, as a matter of fact, I'm sure everyone is hoping that he is alive and well and still shooting like he always has.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rickw said:
Bigdog,

I was sitting next to Tom from Cincy when he got the call that Raphael had died in Mexico. We tried to verify this and the word was out that he in fact had died somehow. We brought it up on this board back then too to see if in fact that really was the case. It was generally accepted that he probably did die. Then, gradually, there have been some rumors that he is not dead. It's kind of crazy and I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if Raphael ever shows up somewhere. I don't think anyone wishes him any harm or ill will, as a matter of fact, I'm sure everyone is hoping that he is alive and well and still shooting like he always has.
I hear that Rick, I just felt that people are always trying to police what is said on here about things. I just felt that if someone is going to report the death of someone it better be true.