2009 World Ten Ball Champ still unpaid!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you're playing in a Mark Griffin type event, with a stellar rep, put the effin' money on the light. Escrow, baby, escrow!

It's amazing to me how these guys have the balls to stiff pool players. I mean, you'd think sure, let's stiff the ballet dancers, or the bell hop, but let's not mess with pool players. But they do, and the players keep coming back for more. Maybe the money is not that important to them. A title, a shiny trophy, and an IOU will suffice. :confused:

As it is, the prize money in our sport is laughable. At last years SBE I watched SVB playing in the pit against a very pregnant girl something like 7 ahead for 2 or 3 grand (see below). Sure she got all the breaks and lots of weight, but could you ever imagine Tiger playing a pregnant girl, closest to the pin, for a few thousand?

BTW, I don't blame SVB one little bit. Look at his (official) money winnings - for who he is, it's kinda pathetic. So, until prize money and payouts get fixed (if they ever do) ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.

Best,
Brian kc

That girl SVB was playing knew exactly what she was doing, and SVB knew that as well. No one had any pity on her, or him for playing her. If you felt that way, you don't know her. She is a fierce player, no matter the circumstances.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
And the beat goes on, and on, and on...
This goes along well with the snooker dumping scandal. The corruption always has and always will exist at all levels of this sport. It seems I'm always reading on hear somebody praising some hustler for taking advantage of some sucker. Small time corruption sets the tone for big time corruption. Until the people in this sport starts acting honorably on the lowest levels, the highest levels will not be any different. As the root goes, so goes the plant.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
That girl SVB was playing knew exactly what she was doing, and SVB knew that as well. No one had any pity on her, or him for playing her. If you felt that way, you don't know her. She is a fierce player, no matter the circumstances.

I saw enough of her to see she was a fierce competitor. I had no pity for her. And she did end up losing - didn't take SVB terribly long.

But my point was that here we have one of pools absolute top players, SVB, in action against a pregnant girl at SBE. Probably not gonna see anything like that in any other sport. Hence the Tiger reference.

Like I said, even pool's most elite players can't make a good living from what they earn (if they receive it) as prize money.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
The "Girl"

I saw enough of her to see she was a fierce competitor. I had no pity for her. And she did end up losing - didn't take SVB terribly long.

But my point was that here we have one of pools absolute top players, SVB, in action against a pregnant girl at SBE. Probably not gonna see anything like that in any other sport. Hence the Tiger reference.

Like I said, even pool's most elite players can't make a good living from what they earn (if they receive it) as prize money.

Best,
Brian kc

The girl he played wuz Pam Cimerrelli, very, very strong women player and gambler.(The right game) LOL

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you're playing in a Mark Griffin type event, with a stellar rep, put the effin' money on the light. Escrow, baby, escrow!

It's amazing to me how these guys have the balls to stiff pool players. I mean, you'd think sure, let's stiff the ballet dancers, or the bell hop, but let's not mess with pool players. But they do, and the players keep coming back for more. Maybe the money is not that important to them. A title, a shiny trophy, and an IOU will suffice. :confused:

As it is, the prize money in our sport is laughable. At last years SBE I watched SVB playing in the pit against a very pregnant girl something like 7 ahead for 2 or 3 grand (see below). Sure she got all the breaks and lots of weight, but could you ever imagine Tiger playing a pregnant girl, closest to the pin, for a few thousand?

BTW, I don't blame SVB one little bit. Look at his (official) money winnings - for who he is, it's kinda pathetic. So, until prize money and payouts get fixed (if they ever do) ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.

Best,
Brian kc

So pregnant women cannot get down on the pool table. You think they should not be able to play. Or do you think it should be beneath to SVB to play for whatever. I agree the players should be better payed but I do not see how this has anything to do with it. This thread is really about the players getting actually payed and not how much and definitely not knocking them for giving pregnant women some action.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
So pregnant women cannot get down on the pool table. You think they should not be able to play. Or do you think it should be beneath to SVB to play for whatever. I agree the players should be better payed but I do not see how this has anything to do with it. This thread is really about the players getting actually payed and not how much and definitely not knocking them for giving pregnant women some action.

The lady SVP played was a real good player. Kindly reread my post paying special attention to the part where I said I do not blame SVB one bit for playing an action game with a pregnant girl.

My observation is simply, how it would be real unlikely to see such side action going on in any other sport. And FWIW, I'm the physical equivalent of a pregnant man and I can play some, so I think a pregnant girl can do okay too. ;)

Did you read somewhere where I knocked SVB for giving her action, because if I did, I sure didn't mean to?

My indictment is on how our sport doesn't take good care, financially, of even its most elite players. And that's pertinent to the thread.

And as for the girl, she definitely played like she deserved to be in that game, big belly or not.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need business people running a tour

I've been saying for years that the players need to stay out of the financial end of a legimate tour and stop insisting on 4" pockets to give them a better chance of winning. The public wants to see excellence, not people hanging every other ball up, and running no racks. Standard pockets, no player involvement, and money in escrow are three things that has to be done to make professional pool happen. The players, think they know, but they don't, let a real businessman run a legitimate tour and lets let the public see some magical pool not the nonsense we see on TV.:):thumbup::)

Last edited:

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I make this post without a shred of evidence....or any first hand knowledge. It is purely speculation based upon past events and history.
The PI has a reputation for a rather corrupt government. Remember the Marcos? This promoter has apparently staged at least 3 tourneys there and has never been prosecuted for his failure to live up to his obligations, even though one of the countrys premier sports heros is on the shitty end of the stick. I suspect the "Fix" is in and this guy has no worries about auhorities persuing him. When I was there you could buy a cop for less than the price of a good dinner. I hope I am wrong and things have improved over the course of time......but I wonder........Dan

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to stick up for the players a little more here, after all it is them that have not been paid.

To say that they shouldn't travel because the money is not guaranteed is just not practical for most of them. After all, this was a world ranking event sanctioned by the WPA and all previous monies had been paid all be it not on time.

For many players these ranking points/titles are critical for qualification to the Mosconi Cup, World Cup of Pool, World Pool Masters, World 8 Ball etc

It is just not an option for them not to attend a fully sanctioned world ranking event.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I think we need to stick up for the players a little more here, after all it is them that have not been paid.

To say that they shouldn't travel because the money is not guaranteed is just not practical for most of them. After all, this was a world ranking event sanctioned by the WPA and all previous monies had been paid all be it not on time.

For many players these ranking points/titles are critical for qualification to the Mosconi Cup, World Cup of Pool, World Pool Masters, World 8 Ball etc

It is just not an option for them not to attend a fully sanctioned world ranking event.

You are of course 100% correct. It's not the players fault. They need our support!

But, what do the players do to make a change?

All I hear from them is that they don't want to be involved in the politics. Isn't about time for the players to do a move?

A start could be a players organization

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pine Apple Mafia my ass! If there was a real "organization" backing these events there would be no problem getting paid! These are individuals who are unable to come up with the promised money, as simple as that.

The mob controlled the Stardust when we had the big tournaments there many years ago. And all the money was always good! The pool players had no problem getting comp rooms and food as well. These guys loved the pool players. The real bosses in the Philippines also respect the pool players. Efren and Django are their heros too, right along with Paquiao.

I like you Vag, but you're off base here.

Mr.know it all, if you keep talking like that I will be concerned about your safety too when you visit philippines. AZB can`t afford to loose a walking encyclopedia of pool:cool:

frankwhite

Silver Member
Jealous

Many may know her under her former name-Pam Treadway.

Hey Frankie-How u doin man?

I am very, very, jealous right now of you. But I still luv ya dude!! I hope your having a great time on the west coast. I watched some streaming last night, WOW those pockets are super tight............Later

frankwhite

Silver Member
Mr.know it all, if you keep talking like that I will be concerned about your safety too when you visit philippines. AZB can`t afford to loose a walking encyclopedia of pool:cool:

Wow! That was some reply there vagabond.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you for your concern, but I'll be just fine. As for you, I'm concerned about you walking the streets of Vegas alone at night. I don't even like going down to the corner 7/11 after dark myself. And that's how it is in Los Angeles in 2010.

I'm pretty aware of where I need to draw the line in who and what I talk about. And this conversation doesn't approach that point. for the record, I can tell you that the top three players remain unpaid. Mika 60K, Lee Van 30K and Antonio Lining 15K. Warren Kiamco finished fourth and was paid his 7.5K.

So it appears that all the lower finishing players did get paid, with only the top three left unpaid. A total of 105K. I'm sure the powers that be at the WPA are also aware of this, and attempting to get it taken care of. More than anything else, it damages their credibility as a sanctioning organization.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your concern, but I'll be just fine. As for you, I'm concerned about you walking the streets of Vegas alone at night. I don't even like going down to the corner 7/11 after dark myself. And that's how it is in Los Angeles in 2010.

I'm pretty aware of where I need to draw the line in who and what I talk about. And this conversation doesn't approach that point. for the record, I can tell you that the top three players remain unpaid. Mika 60K, Lee Van 30K and Antonio Lining 15K. Warren Kiamco finished fourth and was paid his 7.5K.

So it appears that all the lower finishing players did get paid, with only the top three left unpaid. A total of 105K. I'm sure the powers that be at the WPA are also aware of this, and attempting to get it taken care of. More than anything else, it damages their credibility as a sanctioning organization.

David Alcaide is still owed $15000 for finishing joint 3rd with Antonio (Warren was 5th). Also Karl Boyes is still owed $1000. The referees and even the WPA Sanctioning Fee remain unpaid too. So that pushes the $105K figure up quite a bit Jay. I am lead to believe that 40 of the 48 who cashed have been paid. So there are another three players still waiting.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are of course 100% correct. It's not the players fault. They need our support!

All I hear from them is that they don't want to be involved in the politics. Isn't about time for the players to do a move?

I agree with this. Maybe I'll get flamed, but in my opinion the players are lazy. Everyone was talking after IPT of "player organization" this, "player organization" that. Its been 3 years and no organization to speak of. Why not?

Now, I know one stance the player's have is "I don't want to stir the pot, because I don't want to be blocked from participating in tournaments". This is bull, because thats been their attitude for years, and yet every year there are fewer tournaments. They have nothing to lose by speaking up and organizing.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

I've heard they're forming a player's union.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
David Alcaide is still owed $15000 for finishing joint 3rd with Antonio (Warren was 5th). Also Karl Boyes is still owed $1000. The referees and even the WPA Sanctioning Fee remain unpaid too. So that pushes the $105K figure up quite a bit Jay. I am lead to believe that 40 of the 48 who cashed have been paid. So there are another three players still waiting.

Thanks for this information. I didn't have the full story. Now I do.