New CNC coming soon

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hello folks,

Have a friend of mine building a CNC for me and he is considering going to production since there is a good handful of cuemakers interested on this setup.

This CNC has only X and Y however Z can be adjusted really easy by unscrewing the spindle and make it higher or lower, depending if you are tapering or cutting points.
The CNC has closed loop steppers and the headstock is capable of turning (tapering) or indexing only (cutting points, butterflies, etc), limit switches as well.
Some of the specs:
Nema 23 motors: Model: 57hse2n-d25
Motor Driver: Model: HSS57
48v power supply
12v power supply
1.5kw air cooled spindle with vfd

All connected to 110V 15 amp power outlet.

If you are seriously interested send me a pm or text me at (385) 212-0979.
Price point has not be set in stone yet, however I can assure you that it will have a more competitive price than other pool cue CNC manufacturers. It is made by a cuemaker to cuemakers.

29c5bd748a20264a913638704b06d5fe.jpg

d381aff3680dc8cfe91c354e376e49cc.jpg

b0809f1c4a480814984473de96282363.jpg

761e8707473227d6226b0bbebddb2c7d.jpg

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I sent most of the interested folks a pm. The starting price including what you see will be about $4500. The regular steppers model will be $4000, not worth the downgrade in my opinion.
Pm me if you want to place an order and be put on the waiting list.

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price point has not be set in stone yet, however I can assure you that it will have a more competitive price than other pool cue CNC manufacturers. It is made by a cuemaker to cuemakers.
The starting price including what you see will be about $4500. The regular steppers model will be $4000, not worth the downgrade in my opinion.

Please tell us the differences between this new offering and other Taig-based CNC setups that sell for $2600-$3000 (including computer and Mach3 ready to go)? A comparable list for your offering would be helpful for prospective buyers doing their research.

I'm all for somebody improving machinery, etc. Why not list those improvements and what makes this a "more competitive price than other pool cue CNC manufacturers?"

Thanks!

Last edited:

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Beau,
Why don’t you start your own thread?
Why do you have to come up here and start calling out a specific manufacturer? Did I do that?
People have choices and this is just another one.
I will be more than happy to answer all the questions.
For starters you should see that this is a closed loop steppers option and this setup looks similar but is so much different in many ways. Why do people buy other setups and why are there other options? Are you bored today?

Did you actually read what I wrote and even compared the specs of this CNC with Todd's? Leave Todd alone, he is a super nice guy and has its own thing going on.
This is a whole new machine, similar in the looks but very, very different in specs, from motors to driver box, limit switches, lead screw, electronics to even the cabinet and spindle.

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm all for diversity of cuemaking suppliers and improvements. Based on the photos alone, I can tell someone has put some effort into the control panel. If that attention to detail extends to the rest of the assembly, I am sure it is a quality offering.

Unfortunately, details have been scarce in your post. This leaves a host of questions, including:
  • Is the entire enclosure included?
  • Who's assembling the unit?
  • Is it turnkey?
  • Is a computer, monitor, keyboard and/or mouse included?
  • If a computer is included, is it pre-configured with Mach3?
  • Any included G-code files for a shaft and a butt taper?
  • Any custom tapering g-code to your specifications included?
  • Is there any support and if so, by who?
  • What parts are included? Spur drivers, dead/live centers, router bits, etc.
  • What's the motion controller with/without closed-loop?
  • What kind of warranty for the steppers/driver? I ask since it appears to be sourced from China.
  • What kind of warranty for the spindle? Again, I ask since it appears to be sourced from China.
  • What are the feature improvements over other Taig-based units?
  • I see this is a leadscrew setup- is it ballscrew or does it use Kerk-style anti-backlash nuts? Specs please.
  • Is there manual indexing or just cnc?
  • What kind of limit switches are used?
  • Is homing setup as well as limits?
  • Is homing set up for the A axis as well?
  • Is the spindle speed/on/off configured to be controlled through G-code M & S commands?

Again, it looks like someone put a lot of thought into the machine and would like to read more about it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A simple pm could’ve been sent and those questions could’ve been asked before the price comparisons, equipment comparisons, and nit picking offerings. I’m pretty sure Tony was just fishing a lil bit to see what kind of interest there might be for this machine. It is a prototype for the most part and there are going to be some tweaks that are made to it and options can be added or deleted. I really don’t want to answer for the builder but can assure you that he will have answers to all of those questions and he will stand behind his product.

I have been using a version that’s not as updated as this machine and I LOVE mine. . It has almost 3 times the cross slide travel of most Taig based Lathe’s, trapezoidal acme rod with delrin backlash nuts to help eliminate backlash on both axis, headstock speed control inside Mach 3, mount for QCTP, and can be used as a stand alone lathe or tapering machine.

An old refurbished computer, copy of Mach3, and g codes for different shaft offerings could definitely be included. I’m also pretty sure that the enclosure can be standard or optional.

jameson

Registered
Thanks Tony, Doug, and Jason for allowing me to setup your machines and getting me to this point.

My name is Shane Jameson and I am building the machine. I am nobody special, I am just a guy that likes to play pool and work on cues. I use to do cnc plasma cutting and I got familiar with working with cnc controllers thru upgrading my machine and retrofitting other guys plasma tables in my area. I purchased a lathe from Tod at mid america a few years ago and decided to convert it to cnc and that began my building of lathes, and by chance I met a guy named Doug at a tournament from my area that purchased a cnc kit off of ebay and it was a complete mess and not accurate at all so I helped him out and updated his machine and he referred a couple of others to me and here we are now. This is the first time the public has really seen this machine.

I have put lots of time and thought into building this machine. This is the 5th design of the machine, every time I build one I find small improvements that make it better.

The machine is setup much like a large lathe with a lead screw. The screws are trapezoidal screws with delrin anti backlash nuts.

this lathe is spectifically setup for tapering and cutting pockets for points but with a change to a larger headstock motor and a quick change tool post it is capable of building a cue from start to finish. The motors can be controlled with the arrow keys on a keyboard so you are still able to use it manually and you are able to read your DRO's in mach3 for your positioning.

I will try to answer questions the best I can but I cant set on here all day, I have to many things to get done. lol

here are some very good questions and pricing is subject to what you want the machine to be able to do

Is the entire enclosure included? planned on it being standard

Who's assembling the unit? Shane Jameson

Is it turnkey? can be

Is a computer, monitor, keyboard and/or mouse included?
optional most people have a old computer laying around

If a computer is included, is it pre-configured with Mach3? if I provide the computer legal versions of software will be installed

Any included G-code files for a shaft and a butt taper? optional

Any custom tapering g-code to your specifications included? optional

Is there any support and if so, by who? I will answer questions and try to provide the best support I can
What parts are included? Spur drivers, dead/live centers, router bits, etc.

What's the motion controller with/without closed-loop? same breakout board for both

What kind of warranty for the steppers/driver? I ask since it appears to be sourced from China. Manufacturer warranty

What kind of warranty for the spindle? Again, I ask since it appears to be sourced from China. Manufacturer warranty 1 year

What are the feature improvements over other Taig-based units? Accuracy, can build a cue from start to finish, and the big feature is the cross slide travel, the quick change tool post and the router can be left on the cross slide and do not need to be removed to use one or the other like a standard taig lathe, so no more taking your tools on and off to be able to perform different operations.

I see this is a leadscrew setup- is it ballscrew or does it use Kerk-style anti-backlash nuts? Specs please. Trapaziodal screws with delrin anti backlash nuts
Is there manual indexing or just cnc? cnc
What kind of limit switches are used? proximity switches
Is homing setup as well as limits? yes
Is homing set up for the A axis as well? planning on it
Is the spindle speed/on/off configured to be controlled through G-code M & S commands? can be setup for manual or cnc control

jameson

Registered
the pictures at the top of the post are not of a finished machine, there is much more work to be done and more options to be done that are not shown in the photos. Thanks everyone for your questions and interest.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A simple pm could’ve been sent. I’m pretty sure Tony was just fishing a lil bit to see what kind of interest there might be for this machine.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the machine. I look forward to seeing more info about it in the future as well as seeing more feedback.

I'm not a fan of "fishing" posts that don't give the prospective "fish" adequate information. A simple PM would not have answered the questions for the group.

Kudos to the builder, who, as I said, clearly put thought into the machine and shared additional information.

~Beau

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the pictures at the top of the post are not of a finished machine, there is much more work to be done and more options to be done that are not shown in the photos. Thanks everyone for your questions and interest.

Welcome, Shane, and thank you so much for your prompt reply. I think you will generate increased interest by sharing details about the machine as you have done.

As you pointed out, there are poor quality hobbyist cnc machines everywhere, so I look forward to hearing about your improvements and seeing the progression of the machine.

Best of luck to you.

~Beau

jameson

Registered
Thanks ELBeau, I'm trying to put out the best product I can but keeping cost in mind. I use Chinese parts because they are cost effective and they are all tested before leaving the shop but if someone wants to pay the price for American made parts I can accommodate them.

jameson

Registered
It has an attachment that hooks to a shop vac for collecting dust from the spindle or router. This machine will accommodate either a 65mm cnc spindle or a makita router if a person wants to save a little money. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow.

stylz730

Registered
Shane has put a lot of time in designing testing and validation with this build. The improvements of the accuracy and the ability to have the extended travel on the axis was a huge addition to my cnc taig style lathe. He continues to improve his design and has created his own cnc lathe design. The big difference between his design and other in the cnc realm is that this could be an all in one unit. Not just a taper machine or and inlay machine or just a repair machine. The great thing is I don’t consider my self a cue builder I am still learning and enjoy doing it, but I have built 5 complete cues from this setup . I have cut points,inlays,wrap grooves,coring,full handles with tennons shafts stich rings. This setup with a computer, Mach 3 and MVP cue cut software you could do it all.
This would be a great setup for someone who wants to get into the hobby with one machine.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums