Ronnie O'Sullivan 147

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I took the time to watch Ronnie after reading another thread.I never paid attention to Snooker and had no idea how exciting it could be. Well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IHkQE5uQtc !!!!! Wow, What else have I been mising?

Two things to note about that perfect game. The position he played from the last red to the black was pretty sporty, and I think he spun the ball a little. The last pink where he had to stretch for it was played left handed.

You may want to catch his most recent 147 and see how he deals with the last red. It is more impressive than any shot he did in the break above. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxCLqD996o

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things to note about that perfect game. The position he played from the last red to the black was pretty sporty, and I think he spun the ball a little. The last pink where he had to stretch for it was played left handed.

You may want to catch his most recent 147 and see how he deals with the last red. It is more impressive than any shot he did in the break above. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxCLqD996o

Had to love Ding's look knowing he was done by IMHO the finest cue player the world has ever seen ,,
On a side note Ding is a god in his country he has over 400 centuries runs and helped raise snooker to over 60 million players
No not thousands millions and number one game there ,,

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right Bob, he plays with either hand seamlessly. What a stroke! I am a fan.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right Bob, he plays with either hand seamlessly. What a stroke! I am a fan.

Hard not to be he's a eccentric complex individual who fights he's demons a lot like Earl in some respects , thanked his shrink after a world title win couple yrs back ,
I'd love to see him play live one day

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd love to see him play live one day
I had the great luck to play him this summer. The good news is that it wasn't snooker, which would have been embarrassing -- we played 8 ball. The bad news is that it didn't make any difference. I tried to get him to play 3-cushion and he was willing but the table was busy.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing !!!!

Its unreal to watch him rush around the table, and still play pin point position!..If he had been raised on pool, instead of snooker, we'd all be saying "Earl who, Efren who"?..The man is unbelievable, who could have possibly beat him?..13-147's..all against top level competition! ..How many balls do you think he'd miss on an 8' table, with 5" pockets?..He would probably have doubled Mosconi's high run, in half the time! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS..Its fun to watch the referees try to keep up with him! :bow-down:

PPS..I wonder how many centuries he blew off, going for 147's?..He would probably be well ahead of Ding there too!..Those 147's pay some monster $$$ in most of those tournaments!

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PPS..I wonder how many centuries he blew off, going for 147's?..He would probably be well ahead of Ding there too!..Those 147's pay some monster $$$ in most of those tournaments!

Huh?

Ronnie is atop the pack for most centuries.

Ronnie O'Sullivan 851
Stephen Hendry 772
John Higgins 639
Neil Robertson 481
Mark Selby 450
Ding Junhui 433
Marco Fu 430
Judd Trump 424
Shaun Murphy 398
Mark Williams 368

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its unreal to watch him rush around the table, and still play pin point position!..If he had been raised on pool, instead of snooker, we'd all be saying "Earl who, Efren who"?..The man is unbelievable, who could have possibly beat him?..13-147's..all against top level competition! ..How many balls do you think he'd miss on an 8' table, with 5" pockets?..He would probably have doubled Mosconi's high run, in half the time! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS..Its fun to watch the referees try to keep up with him! :bow-down:

He did beat Earl in the Mosconi Cup in the mid 90's.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if there is a bonus for a 147. He shot the pink left handed and fired in the black at the end at warp speed.

I kept waiting for him to open up the red next to the pink and he almost messed himself up by waiting so long. Great run and thanks to the op for posting.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the time to watch Ronnie after reading another thread.I never paid attention to Snooker and had no idea how exciting it could be. Well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IHkQE5uQtc !!!!! Wow, What else have I been mising?

Pretty good article from the new yorker called the unhappy king of snooker or similar:

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/30/follow-the-white-ball

Interestingly, he says a couple of times in the article that he hates the game of snooker, and told his son that he would never support him if he ever wanted to play....doesn't sound appreciative of the game that has allowed him to put food on the table...

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if there is a bonus for a 147. He shot the pink left handed and fired in the black at the end at warp speed.

I kept waiting for him to open up the red next to the pink and he almost messed himself up by waiting so long. Great run and thanks to the op for posting.

of course there's a bonus for 147, they are worth way more than just the pride of doing it in tournament play. The bonus prize has gone lower these years, with more common bonuses being 20-10k but the large tournaments still have the whopping 100k bonus. I believe in 2015 Ronnie was on his way to another 147 but when he heard it was 10k he deliberately shot a pink instead of a black to make a statement that the bonus needs to be higher.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
of course there's a bonus for 147, they are worth way more than just the pride of doing it in tournament play. The bonus prize has gone lower these years, with more common bonuses being 20-10k but the large tournaments still have the whopping 100k bonus. I believe in 2015 Ronnie was on his way to another 147 but when he heard it was 10k he deliberately shot a pink instead of a black to make a statement that the bonus needs to be higher.
Here is the controversial 146.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBDuWvcy7U
Check out the final blue if you don't watch the whole thing.

There was a lot of talk about this break. The way I see it is that he gave the audience something to remember and talk about for the rest of their lives -- not merely yet another 147.