Mali Cue history. indentifing cues?

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've searched threads on this site and have not found much info. I've also tried an extensive search on the Web. Not much luck either.
I have owned several older Mali cues and have always wondered how old and what era they may have been from.
I was wondering if everyone with Mali knowledge could take a moment and post what they know about Mali cues. Maybe ever owning a Mali, what design (Green letter, Gold letter) and what year. Even if your not sure I can piece together some history on how old these cues are. One thing I'm not certain about is which of the two are older Green or Gold letter models.

These are some cues I own or have owned in the past. A few are Green letter Mali's and the last is a Gold letter Mali.

Mali-1.jpg
Mali-2.jpg
Mali-3.jpg
Mali-4.jpg
Mali-gold ltr.jpg

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More Pics

Here are some other pics I located off the net to show, what I think to be are logos of certain eras.

I'll appreciate anyones imput, right or wrong.

Green Mali Logo
DSC_1431.jpg
green ltr.jpg

Gold Letter Mali Logo
gold ltr mali-2.jpg

Outlined text boxed Mali logo
Mali-boxed.jpg

Green boxed logo
Mvc-mali2_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wrote to Mali about 1968 about getting a custom cue. I got a nice letter in return from Fred Mali saying that they were just starting a partnership with a cue maker (in Connecticut?) who was making custom cues for them. I ordered a rosewood "merry widow" design. There was no "Mali" marking on it as I recall.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the first cue with the ebony points looks just like the one I bought in 1985 or so. thats all i remember about it except that it warped pretty quick.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote to Mali about 1968 about getting a custom cue. I got a nice letter in return from Fred Mali saying that they were just starting a partnership with a cue maker (in Connecticut?) who was making custom cues for them. I ordered a rosewood "merry widow" design. There was no "Mali" marking on it as I recall.

Great, we have the first piece of the puzzle, no logo before 1968.

cuemister

Registered
I too own a Gold Mali cue and am interested in the history.

So, is there any difference or meaning behind the different Logos?
Does anyone know which came first? Green , Gold? Years they were posibly made.......

ludwigman

Registered
"Outlined text boxed Mali logo"

That one is mine....

I think I read some where that is was late 60's early 70's???

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I ran across this older thread in my search about Mali cues.
I just bought a V-9 listed at the bottom of this page. http://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com/...er_Models.aspx?id=MALI_CUES_2005_MALI_VINTAGE

But i see they don't give you a price/value unless you buy the information. (I am guessing)

I never heard of Mali until I bought this cue. I needed a 5/16-14 jointed butt,,, for a OB2 shaft. So I don't really care so much about it playing ability. The shaft makes the stick,,not the butt.IMO.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind knowing what it cost new,,,and what it is worth now. It's a 2005,,,level 4 V-9 ,,,that is in perfect condition. Im amazed how good of shape it is in for being 9 years old. I have the original shaft also.
And a beautiful cue too.

Attachments

• P1280115.JPG
    P1280115.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 17,414
  • P1280117.JPG
    P1280117.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 17,165
  • P1280118.JPG
    P1280118.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 17,234
  • P1280120.JPG
    P1280120.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 17,815
  • P1280121.JPG
    P1280121.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 17,169

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Mali

My first cue was a green label Mali back in 1987 that was the plain Jane version of the first photo. I loved that cue and hate that I traded it for a j/b McDermott in 98 but I still have that one and it plays pretty sporty. I recently put my Tiger shaft on one of the new ones and I actually liked the way it played. Plus the new designs are old school and the prices are reasonable. I wish they would have gone old school with the name like the boxed "Mali" or green lettering to match.

Roy Vadas

Baby Seal Clubber
Silver Member
Hello Flash,

You have the most current version of the Mali that has been produced overseas since 2001. It is identified by the black text on the butt, vs green, gold, and other colors. It is the top of the tier (V9) that was produced in that series. I seem to recall it was around the $280 mark. I actually own the V1 of that series. I took the shaft off it and put a 30" ob1 on it and use it quite often. The ebony and birdseye full splice produce a really great hit IMO.

No need in trying to contact Mali about yours (or any) cue anymore. When I first retired, I was working toward making a Mali resource page, as Mali's are the cue I have played with since I was 14 (I still have that one and several others). Nobody currently working at Mali has any information on the cues. All the old guys have retired I guess. No old catalogs either :( I tried tracking it all down around 2008, I believe.

Regards,
~Roy

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two Mali's one plain jane and the other is the one they called the Black Knight. Both are nice hitting cues.--Smitty

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the 70s, Jerry Pechauer developed a friendship with Fred Mali and took his family to NY to tour the Mali shop. Soon later he opened his own billiards supply company in Green Bay (per: J Pechauer website). I would suppose that Fred Mali influenced and inspired the Pechauer brand somewhat. For whatever that is worth.

Respect, Courage, and Commitment!

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This was purchased by my Granddad in the early 70's.
No marking on the cue but it still had this decal which I probably should have left on.

Attachments

• old1.jpg
    old1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,555
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,309
  • decal.jpg
    decal.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,479

Micheal

I special ordered this in 1983, 19 oz. with 12mm longer snooker shaft. I thought it was a model M-180 but haven't been able to find that model number anywhere. The Mali logo is green.

Attachments

• 1983 Mali 1.jpg
    1983 Mali 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,589
  • 1983 Mali 2.jpg
    1983 Mali 2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,661