What did you learn in your last loss?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over-stroking the cue ball is the sure fire method for rattling object balls in the jaws of the pocket.....been there ....done that.

jimq49

Not to listen to the comments made by guys watching your game. Concentrate on the shot you are taking,don't worry so much about the leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
I still miss too many shots
I still need better cue ball control.
DONT save the break out attempt until last.
Don't show emotions over missed shots, etc.
I need to find the right speed of play some days.....I want to think about the shots without overthinking the shots, so I can maintain a nice pace and rhythm.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I have learned that I been on the bad end of things longer than a retired proctologist.

Lesh

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) No lead is safe.

2) Concentrate on the shot at hand, not the next three you're planning to shoot after this one.

3) No matter what the score or what your opponent is doing, play your own game.

4) Have a very short memory. If you miss, forget about it. The past can't be changed. The future can be changed by letting go of the past and concentrating on the present.

5) Some (nay, most) days I really suck at this game.

That's very true. I learned in my last match. That I shoot great pool for about 4 racks. I was up 30-6 and let my opponent came back. I think it's a mental lapse and I have to remember. I'm playing the table. Not the person.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are things we worked on in your recent lesson Bill. KISS rules! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I thought it might be fun/informative to start a thread where people could post a few short one liners of things they learned in their last loss...

Might find some quick things to think about before they happen in a loss...

I'll start, lost a close 9 ball set to a much better player. I learned...

1) Go look at the shot from the other side dummy and you would have realized a simple stop shot on the 8 works fine vs. the force 4 rail nonsense. Distance isn't the only thing to consider, in fact it's probably not even the first thing to consider.

2) Having to RUN the table is not the same as having to CONTROL the table, should have played position for safe instead of thinking the only way to win is out.

3) I REALLY don't like it when my opponent wins, then starts explaining to me what he thinks I should have done differently.

b

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Just because you can play up to the level of a better opponent does not mean you can not play down to the level of a much weaker opponent. I should have learned this many tournaments ago.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learned I should have quit sooner. Lost $500. LOL May lose more today.

J, I'm guessing you probably already know what I'm talking about but I'll try to explain it a little so any newbs Will know and benefit from it as well. If you are already playing and betting whatever to where you could lose the $500 or whatever then that means either YOU ARE, OR you have good reason to believe you are in a good game. You lost, yes this is true. HOWEVER, sometimes SHEET JUST HAPPENS. It could be you got a couple REALLY bad rolls at the worst time possible , maybe session took a bit longer and you just got tired, a call from the old lady and it caused you to lose focus, could be a hundred different things none of which could cause you to change your mind and think you are in a bad game ( it shouldn't anyway because of course if you truthfully thought you were in a bad game you wouldn't have been playing in the first place RIGHT? ).

So, coming back and playing the VERY NEXT DAY gives you ALL KINDS OF ADVANTAGES!!! Let's talk about the obvious first : if you had gotten tired you are now FULLY RESTED. If you had gotten the dreaded by so many ( NOT ME of course nor would it ever be ) call from the old lady Beeching that distracts you, you have already TURNED OFF YOUR PHONE before leaving the driveway OR have informed her you were going to volunteer at the shelter for the rest of the day, and unfortunately the shelter you are volunteering at is in fact an old shelter - a bomb shelter from the 50's and being such it has 12 inch thick lead lined Walls for safety but that your cellie DOES NOT function while you are earning your God credits - sorry baby doll but it doesn't hurt to help out those less fortunate than ourselves! 😆. Yall get the idear!!!

Next is depending on the person, you can now high roll them. While initially they may have been Nitty, with their small score the previous night they may now have some new found confidence and today you can get a half way decent bet out of them. They may not be comfortable at all with the larger bets but feel compelled to oblige you maybe because of the new found confidence ( Keep one VERY IMPORTANT thing in mind though - strictly depending on the person and how they are and what they do for a living that for most there is a daily withdrawal limit of around $1500 on the ATM ), maybe GREED, whatever. The next big thing is it may have taken them 10 hours to beat you out of the ($500 lol lol ) and if you jack it up and win $250 back in 30-45 minutes , that can be SO DEMORALIZING AND it can also truly send them on tilt and going for a NICE, LONG , REWARDING SAIL LOL!!!!!.

In any case, coming back ( THE VERY NEXT DAY ) and jacking the bet thru the roof often times can be Very VERY rewarding!!!! Good luck J002!!!! Once you snap off and break and burst this guy today please be sure to come back on and give us ALL OF THE BLOODY DETAILS!!!!!!!

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
Be aware if it's a tournament where a lady doesn't have to win a full set of games against a man.

The last loss I suffered I was playing an 8 ball tournament that was race to three, unless a lady was playing a man, where she would only have to win 2 and he would have to win 3. I did not know this or ask, and ended up losing 2-2. Was not happy, but was on me for not knowing the format.