Washington, D.C.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend is traveling to Washington Navy yard next week and he would like to shoot some pool out there. Do any if you guys have any recommendations?

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell him to look up Queball1, TopHat, or Triple Nines (I think) depending where he’s staying.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Atomic Billiards is decent with clean tables and chill vibes.

Never heard of atomic billiards. It seems to be in a decent enough area for fun play, I will check that out.

Triple 9s is alright. I really like the place but they have a mismatch of tables there...in their tournaments you never know what you’ll be playing on.

How long will your friend be around? If he wants some cheap action he can look for jazzyjeff87

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend is traveling to Washington Navy yard next week and he would like to shoot some pool out there. Do any if you guys have any recommendations?

There's nothing down at the Navy Yard area. It's close to the Nat4ionals Stadium, though, within walking distance if he wants to watch baseball.

Queball1 is the place to go on Central Avenue in Maryland. It's about 1 mile or so off the Beltway. Great pool room. Good equipment. Cool pool people. https://www.quball1.com/

pucksnpool

Registered
If your friend has a car, traveling to the places listed above outside DC is best.

If he doesn't, then Bedrock Billiards and Atomic Billiards are your best bets and easy to get to by metro/uber. Both are basement bars with 5 tables, 9/8 ft gold crowns.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quball 1 Llc
7945 Central Ave, Capitol Heights, MD 20743
(301) 808-7700
https://www.quball1.com/

Drinks (non-alcoholic) and light snacks.

All 9' tables, EXTREMELY tight pockets. Not really geared toward rotation pool (the owner said so). This is a mecca for one-pocket.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bank Shot Bar & Grill
3249 Laurel Fort Meade Rd, Laurel, MD 20724
(301) 483-8644
Full bar and kitchen.

Sixteen 7' and three 9' Diamonds.

This is primarily a league house for APA but there are nights when the 9' tables are open. Call first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Billiards Shady Grove
15966 Shady Grove Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
(301) 355-6177

Brand new room (less than a year old) with ten 9' Diamonds. Full bar and kitchen.

Brews & Cues on the Boulevard
7954 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
(410) 761-6161
http://www.brews-cues.com/

Eleven 7' Diamonds. Full bar and kitchen. League nights begin at 7pm. Call first for table availability.

Triple Nines Bar and Billiards
7540 Washington Blvd, Elkridge, MD 21075
(410) 799-1818
http://www.tripleninesbarandbilliards.com/

All 9' tables.

Good luck!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Buffalo Billiards in NW is a large room, with a nice atmosphere and a lot of people who come out to socialize and play.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your friend has a car, traveling to the places listed above outside DC is best.

If he doesn't, then Bedrock Billiards and Atomic Billiards are your best bets and easy to get to by metro/uber. Both are basement bars with 5 tables, 9/8 ft gold crowns.

Both are great places. Atomic has only 8' tables and Bedrock only has 9'. If you're doing metro/uber, Bedrock is your best bet. If you want more than social play, Bedrock is also your best bet.

Buffalo is ok, lots of 8' tables and a few 9' tables. But aside from league night, more serious pool players are almost never there. In that same category, there's Rocket Bar across the street from the Capital One Arena (f/k/a Verizon Center).

Hi Cue was great and close to DC, but is sadly gone.

Top Hat and Triple 9s are really far from Navy Yard. Quball 1 is not unreasonable (20 to 40 minutes from downtown depending on traffic) but far enough that I've never been.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Top Hat and Triple 9s are really far from Navy Yard. Quball 1 is not unreasonable (20 to 40 minutes from downtown depending on traffic) but far enough that I've never been.

:grin: I say this without malice...but city people have the craziest views on distance lol.

A 15 minute drive is considered a decent length. A half hour is like a road trip. I lived in Baltimore for a while and grew up a good 75 minutes away. If I asked someone to come back around my way they acted like I wanted them to drive two states over.

All about perspective I guess

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is he trying to do , bang balls , matchup if so what game , what size table , and what time of day ,

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:grin: I say this without malice...but city people have the craziest views on distance lol.

A 15 minute drive is considered a decent length. A half hour is like a road trip. I lived in Baltimore for a while and grew up a good 75 minutes away. If I asked someone to come back around my way they acted like I wanted them to drive two states over.

All about perspective I guess
Come on down to DC and drive the 15mi, to Springfield's revolution billiards, between 4:30-6. Report back?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Come on down to DC and drive the 15mi, to Springfield's revolution billiards, between 4:30-6. Report back?

Lol I hear ya. I’ve worked in and around DC for years. Living in Calvert county mostly. An hour is the shortest drive I have to any of my jobs. I was at a job on like 7th and K for a year or so and had to fade the 395 Virginians blocking up all the left lanes on my way to S capital st....every freakin day, just sitting there steaming :mad: . But that’s where the $ be.

It’s not really a city made for driving

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
25 years out of the area, but remember when DC pretty much shut down for the summer up into the later 60's. (Except moderately around the mall tourist area, before it was developed.) Commuted there for construction jobs from '71 through '93 & watched the boom become never ending. I'm with Jeff - those of us who traveled an hour plus from northern MD or PA line everyday have a different perspective. (Also commuted to NYC with crews.) I still don't quite know how to go out in the shop beside my house in upstate NY and work without a commute that includes putting on race-face and treating traffic like a melee to get the adrenaline flowing for an hour each way, competition the whole way with other construction traffic almost as a blood sport. Seriously, glad to have survived. Must have been an idiot. Don't think it's possible to drive that way anymore and a very good thing.

I still work on construction jobs in gov't buildings down there from time to time, but usually have an apartment or hotel assigned & try to put the truck in weekly parking. DC has gotten almost as bad as NYC, in terms of personal vehicle becomes a nuisance, liability, and as costly as a second apt to keep. Try to plan excursions around the Metro if possible, it saves a lot of parking hassle at each end of a short trip depending where you are going.

OTOH if you are downtown after dark, DC streets are still pretty vacant. Just wait until about an hour before sunrise, though....

smt

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
25 years out of the area, but remember when DC pretty much shut down for the summer up into the later 60's. (Except moderately around the mall tourist area, before it was developed.) Commuted there for construction jobs from '71 through '93 & watched the boom become never ending. I'm with Jeff - those of us who traveled an hour plus from northern MD or PA line everyday have a different perspective. (Also commuted to NYC with crews.) I still don't quite know how to go out in the shop beside my house in upstate NY and work without a commute that includes putting on race-face and treating traffic like a melee to get the adrenaline flowing for an hour each way, competition the whole way with other construction traffic almost as a blood sport. Seriously, glad to have survived. Must have been an idiot. Don't think it's possible to drive that way anymore and a very good thing.

I still work on construction jobs in gov't buildings down there from time to time, but usually have an apartment or hotel assigned & try to put the truck in weekly parking. DC has gotten almost as bad as NYC, in terms of personal vehicle becomes a nuisance, liability, and as costly as a second apt to keep. Try to plan excursions around the Metro if possible, it saves a lot of parking hassle at each end of a short trip depending where you are going.

OTOH if you are downtown after dark, DC streets are still pretty vacant. Just wait until about an hour before sunrise, though....

smt

Haha oh I love it. I’m a relaxed driver normally, 5-10 mph over, signals, defensive driving. But in that area you’ll never get out alive without a bit of rally racer in you. Parking is $12-20+ a day. Got my truck smashed by a lady who was getting pulled over :lol: good times