Odd preshot?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
One of my favorite players is in this video
https://youtu.be/AZhLMsjXByQ?t=134

Watch as he holds his stick in his left hand and chalks with his right, then switches to shoot right handed.

Normally we hold the cue in our non bridge hand and chalk with our bridge hand.

Wondered if anyone thought it was odd.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Watch as he holds his stick in his left hand and chalks with his right, then switches to shoot right handed.

I chalk the same way.

IMO, it's smarter to chalk with your grip hand instead of using your bridge hand and having chalk transfer to the shaft.

I've always assumed most people did this.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

for me, chalking with the bridge hand makes the shaft and bridge hand dirtier sooner. i also find it easier to avoid the drill hole in the chalk this way

i think a high percentage of pro players chalk opposite handed actually, and among snooker players almost all of them. mike dechaine is a funky chalker, i don't know what he does with that chalk but it looks funny

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me, chalking with the bridge hand makes the shaft and bridge hand dirtier sooner. i also find it easier to avoid the drill hole in the chalk this way

i think a high percentage of pro players chalk opposite handed actually, and among snooker players almost all of them. mike dechaine is a funky chalker, i don't know what he does with that chalk but it looks funny

I'm certain that most all players that are just good players, all the way up to the very elite players, chalks with their grip hand.

I may be way off but I would think it's odd to see the players chalk with their bridge hand.

I do know there are some that hold the chalk in the bridge hand while they shoot. I tried that and it was a disaster by leaving chalk on felt, as well as, all over my fingers and as I said before, eventually all over my shaft.

I think it's a no-no,

Jeff

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest, I tend not to watch a lot of the modern day players as much as I watch the players from the 80s, and 90s. So I cant speak to their chalking habits.

But most from that era chalk with their bridge hand primarily. Dont take my word for it, youtube some matches. Some, like Efren seem to go back and forth multiple times even in the same rack.

But to take what hand someone chalks with as an indication of how they play, or to say most good players yada yada yada is completely fooking ridiculous. I put it on par with the people who worry about what their chalk looks like as it wears.

Dechaine was mentioned. He chalks like a monkey fooking a football. He is also the number 2 player in the US.

I remember Don Purdman griping about this over a decade ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until this thread i've never thought about it. Some switch, some don't. I find neither to be odd/correct.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McCumber analyzed a subject's chalking technique in Playing off the Rail.

Boners points for anyone who can recall the one-word term he used.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
both

I shoot "right handed". I generally hold the chalk in my right hand and grab the cue far enough down I don't get a lot of chalk on my bridge hand. Of course I'm not a fan of chalking every shot anyway. I chalk a couple times a rack or when fixing to use a lot of spin. Works for me with plain old Master chalk. Sometimes I swap hands chalking, no big deal.

Just to stir the pot, what seems backwards to me is the entire way we shoot pool. It seems like if we are right handed the bridge hand which is called on to do the more intelligent work, would be our right hand. We do the opposite but I have never quite understood why!

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just to stir the pot, what seems backwards to me is the entire way we shoot pool. It seems like if we are right handed the bridge hand which is called on to do the more intelligent work, would be our right hand. We do the opposite but I have never quite understood why!
“Handed” really means “armed” - it’s the arm we’re accustomed to using, like in tennis.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot "right handed". I generally hold the chalk in my right hand and grab the cue far enough down I don't get a lot of chalk on my bridge hand. Of course I'm not a fan of chalking every shot anyway. I chalk a couple times a rack or when fixing to use a lot of spin. Works for me with plain old Master chalk. Sometimes I swap hands chalking, no big deal.

Hu
Actually our left brain does the thinking/calculating and the right does the art/play so it only makes sense that we play the way we do.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

That's how I've always chalked my cue. That way the hand that handles the chalk, gets chalk on it, holds the butt end of the cue and keeps more chalk off the shaft. That's my MO on it anyway.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk with whichever hand feels more natural. You can get chalk all over your cue, your hand, your feet (if you play barefoot), your nose or your clothes regardless of which hand (grip or bridge) you chalk with.

Most of us are a little bit ambidextrous. Generally we lean towards one hand or the other for all or most of our manual activities. It’s easy enough to justify after the fact why we chalk with this hand or that hand, but we chalk with said hand because that’s the hand we pick up the chalk with while the cue is in our other hand. Not rocket science and actually not very interesting.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In that same video, what does his opponent do?
I guess no one watched the video. The opponent, Warren Kiamco, chalks with both hands. No, not simultaneously, which would be really interesting, but with one or the other. I think that's a lot stranger than sticking with either side.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the way i always chalk i'm right handed i hold the stick on my left and chalk with my right the other way feels weird to me.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think it’s a little weird the way he chalks. I’ve wondered about it before as plenty of people do it, I feel bad for them almost. Like I think they naturally feel comfortable chalking with their grip hand only so they have to transfer the cue over, chalk, and transfer back every time.

I’ve tried chalking right handed during the times I play a whole rack Left handed and it is just super awkward.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I chalk with my bridge hand....chalking with the grip hand looks inefficient to me.
...I’m a player who doesn’t need glove....but if one of my hands get any moisture...
...it’ll be my grip hand...it’s the more active one.
...so my grip hand never touches the shaft.

And I’m not a grinder when I chalk....I look at the tip and BRUSH it on....
....don’t recall ever needing a ferrule cleaning in my life.
...I hold the cue at an angle and rotate the cue with my grip hand....chalk doesn’t get on
the shaft.

pt,,,considering opening a school for chalking

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chalk with my bridge hand....chalking with the grip hand looks inefficient to me.
...I’m a player who doesn’t need glove....but if one of my hands get any moisture...
...it’ll be my grip hand...it’s the more active one.
...so my grip hand never touches the shaft.

And I’m not a grinder when I chalk....I look at the tip and BRUSH it on....
....don’t recall ever needing a ferrule cleaning in my life.
...I hold the cue at an angle and rotate the cue with my grip hand....chalk doesn’t get on
the shaft.

pt,,,considering opening a school for chalking
"Inefficient" chalking???? Seriously? C'mon man.