Frozen to the Cushion or not?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless this is the key game to win the set, tournament, or the money, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it, no matter which way it is ruled.

For me, I'd say it ISN'T frozen if the ball ISN'T actually touching the rail

Touching just the fibers protruding from the rail doesn't seem like it could be called frozen, because the ball can be MOVED without it actually being rebounded from or touched by the rail in the course of the shot.

There is no way to shoot a ball away from being frozen on the rail without it touching the rail, no matter what the angle is that you shoot it from.

If the ball is ONLY touched by the fibers, you could put the cue ball on the rail near the object ball and shoot it AWAY from the rail, without it ever going down the rail or rebounding from the rail.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Fibers touching = frozen.
I would generally agree, and I suspect that many rule sets would as well. But, for CSI/BCA, I would have to disagree, but only because the rules define it as such. Quoted below.

"Frozen Ball A ball that is touching another ball or a cushion. If loose strands or fibers of cloth extend from a cushion and contact a ball, that does not constitute that ball being frozen to the cushion."

Frozen.png

https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html page 15.

[edit: wasn't there an old Earl comment that the ball was touching, but not frozen?]

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I would generally agree, and I suspect that many rule sets would as well. But, for CSI/

[edit: wasn't there an old Earl comment that the ball was touching, but not frozen?]

That quote was attributed to Jonathan archer a few posts ago...so some good player must’ve said it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would generally agree, and I suspect that many rule sets would as well. But, for CSI/BCA, I would have to disagree, but only because the rules define it as such. Quoted below.

"Frozen Ball A ball that is touching another ball or a cushion. If loose strands or fibers of cloth extend from a cushion and contact a ball, that does not constitute that ball being frozen to the cushion."

View attachment 534781

https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html page 15.

I think that was about the rack not being on the rail. He said the balls could be touching in the rack but not be frozen or tight, something like that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's probably a total judgement call. For me when I make that call I look to see if I
can see light between the ball and the cushion Like I'm sure most people do.
Touching a fiber or two isn't always definitive because the fibers aren't uniform, but I believe
it's a judgement call. Sometimes you might meet with some disagreement

This is the correct way to call a frozen ball. If you can see light between the ball and the cushion it's not frozen. Sometimes you have put your hand over the ball to block the overhead light to see it better. I always put on my reading glasses on as well. :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a post about this before, the general agreement was that it's not frozen if some fibers are touching the ball but there is still a gap between the edge and the actual rail. If a bullet hits your hair but does not actually hit the skin, you are not shot, you were "almost shot". The ball is "almost" frozen.

This is my favorite explanation! I remember Tigerland at Ft. Polk when they put you though the machine gun test. You had to crawl through mud for about twenty five or thirty yards, down on your belly with your rifle cradled in front of you. Meanwhile .30 caliber bullets were flying a couple of feet over your head! That was a "live fire" exercise! I only heard of one guy who panicked and got shot.

I'll never forget the sound of those bullets flying over, like a pack of mad wasps. They made a loud whistle as they went by. Yes I was scared, but I ate mud and liked it! Most of those guys went to Nam two weeks later but I was one of the lucky ones who stayed stateside.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Soooo......every time I thought I made a good hit...it was actually a foul....:eek:

That's right, you've actually never made a good hit. Of course, neither have any of your opponents. It turns out the game of pool is just an endless series of fouls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a trick question. We all know that physics tells us that no two objects ever actually touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8rkG9Dw4s
Actually, physics and especially quantum mechanics tells us that objects extend into each other and have no precisely defined hard surface. Everything is fuzzy.

But why do we still have this horrible frozen/not frozen/maybe frozen ball rule? I think it's time to do away with it. What would be lost if contacting a frozen ball was considered a good rail contact? I see no value in the rule.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Actually, physics and especially quantum mechanics tells us that objects extend into each other and have no precisely defined hard surface. Everything is fuzzy.

But why do we still have this horrible frozen/not frozen/maybe frozen ball rule? I think it's time to do away with it. What would be lost if contacting a frozen ball was considered a good rail contact? I see no value in the rule.

Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on quantum mechanics. That's probably for the best.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To keep people from nudging the cue ball up on the object ball on the rail and then saying they "hit a rail", when the ONLY ball that touched a rail was the ball ALREADY on the rail.

The alternative is to say that the object ball AND the cue ball must touch a rail on every shot.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
To keep people from nudging the cue ball up on the object ball on the rail and then saying they "hit a rail", when the ONLY ball that touched a rail was the ball ALREADY on the rail.

The alternative is to say that the object ball AND the cue ball must touch a rail on every shot.

Correct. Without the rule (you must get a rail after contact) two players could play endless safeties off a ball against the rail.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To keep people from nudging the cue ball up on the object ball on the rail and then saying they "hit a rail", when the ONLY ball that touched a rail was the ball ALREADY on the rail. ...
The stalemate rule, which every pool game now has, avoids this problem.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the only fair way to judge frozen is if you cant see light. if you use fuzz what happens if a piece of cushion fuzz sticks out a half inch. then you can have a frozen ball a half inch off the rail.