Mosconi Cup Day 4 - Lineup

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 5, alternate breaks, all top pros. Every one of these matches could come down to nothing but a lucky safe or a cue ball kicked in the hole on the break.

The X factor is the gut check, but we've all seen every one of these players dog it on key shots that ordinarily they'd be favored to make. Kazakis gifted the US a match yesterday, Justin re-gifted the Euros by missing that easily makeable final 8 ball, and Shane and Feijen have missed one key shot after another..

Bottom line to me is that other than maybe Filler, who's like a robot who's programmed to act like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove whenever he wins a match, all of these players are capable of blowing a key ball just when you'd least expect it. That's pool, Suzyn.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW what genius decided to schedule the final day of the Mosconi Cup to conflict with Thanksgiving dinners? Is this how they intend to bring pool to a larger audience?

Do they think this is the NFL? Or is this just a case of Matchroom thinking that since Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in the UK, it must not be much of a holiday. Whatever it is, it doesn't strike me as being very bright.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see USA win. Hill hill you put in Captain America.

Going to be a great match today.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tea leaves say it is 3-2 and got to hill hill

Bookmakers say score will be 3-2 for first 5 singles which means hill hill.
LOL why would it be any differen? Since first 3 days were 3-2.

Johan says the captain's pick will be collective decision with the team and not his sole decision https://youtu.be/bdho8WoaAbw?t=667

3-2.JPG

If Tyler beats Kaci will he (Kaci) have to add "In" to his neck tattoo? :D

You mean "IM".
Which would not change the meaning :D

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting line up.

Thorpe has been the shot maker in this years cup, making some amazing banks...and Shaw is just Shaw. But if Billy could jump into a lead where the pressure isn`t that much of a factor, he could well beat Shaw.

Kaci is just too strong for Styer, at least right now. Tyler is improving every season, but I think he isn`t ready to follow up his rookie MC, where he was a key to US viktory.

Kazakis isn`t the type of Player, who can handle a MC. In a normal tournament he could pull off an upset against Shane, but not in the MC.

Confidence is good, but it can bite you in the ass too...or is it just my opinion that a loudmouth deserves to fall deeeeep? Anyway, I still won`t bet against Filler.

I think Johan wants to avoid a captains pick match by all means, that is why he put up Bergman in the last match. Feijen is a fighter, but after his injury and another semi good season by his standards, I wonder if this might be Nils last MC, at least as a player.

My heart says Europe, but somehow my stomach feels a 11-9 for the USA.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
America basically has the trophy in hand. I will eat my turkey and shit in peace.

Go Skyler. That’s one point. Shane over kazakis, whoever else was playing...boom USA win.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With this lineup, Europe is favorite now. Only sure point for USA is Shane. USA best chances of winning is if Justin beats Niels and Sky pulls rabbit out of hat over Filler.
Hill hill is unlikely as there has only been one hill hill 20+ years ago and a draw more than 10+ years ago.
But what stands out is the shocking bad decision by Marcus to play Filler in 4th singles. He is probably not thinking clearly cos he badly wants his rock star boy Filler to knock in the cup winning 9 ball when Europe wins first 4 singles.
If Thorpe and Styer upset Shaw and Kaci, Europe may lose the cup without even playing their best player. He should be playing his best player earlier in first 2 singles or at worse 3rd singles so that Europe has higher chance of taking lead earlier and lessen pressure on his weaker players. Marcus is clearly inferior to Johan in the tactics strategy department.
:D
Races to 5 for players at this level, there are no sure wins or losses!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw plays a lock-up safety, but flukes a ball in, and then can’t hit his ball. Ball in hand for Billy with an open table.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy makes a close hit, the ref calls a foul, and Shaw overrules him lol. Shaw was straight in on the ball anyway. The ref set it back up where it was and Shaw ran out. 3-3.

Next game, Shaw makes a good break but is hidden from the one. Safety battle in progress.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy makes a close hit, the ref calls a foul, and Shaw overrules him lol. Shaw was straight in on the ball anyway. The ref set it back up where it was and Shaw ran out. 3-3.

Next game, Shaw makes a good break but is hidden from the one. Safety battle in progress.
Easy to beat Mr. nice guy when he didn’t even need the ball in hand!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw misses a long straight one down the rail, hitting it hard to draw back. Billy cleans up the remaining 5 balls, 4-3. Unlike on previous days, Billy not showing any emotion, staying very calm in his last match in the cup.

Billy breaks and gets an open table. Very runnable for the win.