does one pocket hurt your 9,10 ball game?

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Im sure this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what your thoughts were? I find myself lagging balls for a game or two after I switch from one pocket to either 9 or 10 ball.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sure this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what your thoughts were? I find myself lagging balls for a game or two after I switch from one pocket to either 9 or 10 ball.

If anything it will help elavate your safety game playing rotation.

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally feel one pocket with improve your game in 8 9 and 10 ball. The only thing it won't help with is the break (obviously). But one pocket teaches you to play good patterns once your opponent has sold out to you. There are plenty of stroke shots involved, decent amount of banking as well. You must play strong safe, so it helps your speed and touch going multiple rails.

I personally don't see how it hurts... The only game that "hurts" your other pool games in MY opinion is bank pool. Its just a different stroke.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
If anything it will help elavate your safety game playing rotation.

I agree, my safety play improved dramatically after a year or two of playing one pocket, but I still have that transition period of a game or so where Im still in lag mode. Do you know what I mean? I could go from one pocket to golf and never miss a beat.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
totally helped my game. my banking improved as did my cueball control and position play and defensive play.

im a firm believer that playing all games improves all games. in 2013 I want to play some 3 cushion. I was watching rafael martinez play on some bigtruck videos and you can totally see how 3 cushion has improved his pocket billiard skills.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I can't think of any other pocket billiard game that will offer the combination of improving:

- your CB control

- your banking prowess

- your combinations

- your caroms

- your safety play

All of these facets will definitely improve all the other games you play IMO. Now... Just playing one hole for months on end will mess with your potting ability, so mix it up!

KK9 <--- hated learning and playing one hole til I got "proficient"

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Don't play a lot of it, but in general I think people overrate being "warmed up"... either to shoot pool in general, or to shoot 9b/10b.

We spend years getting good at pool and burn different shots into our muscles. You don't forget 10 years of muscle memory overnight. And it's not like you can play 1p for 3 hours and have to shoot zero long shots or tough cuts. Just playing pool at all will warm you up for more pool.

The more you worry about this stuff, the worse it will affect your game, so my advice is to treat it like it doesn't matter... because deep down, it really doesn't.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think

one pocket requires more skills than all the other games put together. any half way decent banger will win a few games of 9 or 8 ball eventually, but very seldom will he ever win at one pocket.
i myself have schooled a few upstart 9 ballers at the old one hole game. they might have ball striking skills better than mine, but not the chess like moves and thinking to takes to win.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
No doubt one pocket will improve your overall game, as mentioned primarily in the areas of safety play, cueball control, pattern play and banking. You also train your eye to recognize all those two-way shots that will come up, albeit less often, in rotation games.

In safety play, you learn to really snuggle the ball into tight spots. I'm talking about frozen ball marriages. With the advent of the jump cue and superb kicking of some opponents, this may be a game changer in rotation, as evidenced in the recent Mosconi Cup. One hole will also teach you patience and the calculation of risk vs. reward odds.

If feasible, when switching to rotation, I always run through a few racks on the practice table with some stroke shots included. Hit everything crisp and firm. This gets the "bunt" mentality out of your mind, and if you've played plenty of rotation in your life, it doesn't take long for the brain to automatically re-adjust to the stroke dynamics required for rotation based on my experiences.

Good luck and best wishes.

~Razor

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've only played pool (8,9 and 10-ball) for one year, and 1-pocket for about 2 months. But it's really improved my banking, especially cross-cut banks. Long term I think I'll enjoy one-pocket more than the other games because it adds the "chess" element to the game.

Has it hurt my other games? Well, I'm not very good to begin with so it's hard to know.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
I've only played pool (8,9 and 10-ball) for one year, and 1-pocket for about 2 months. But it's really improved my banking, especially cross-cut banks. Long term I think I'll enjoy one-pocket more than the other games because it adds the "chess" element to the game.

Has it hurt my other games? Well, I'm not very good to begin with so it's hard to know.

I don't see how playing on of the toughest games of pool can hurt you at all :)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There was a time I thought this. Also a time I thought 3C hurt too.

But over time I have learned that, unless you have a solid understanding of your game and mechanics, it is all too easy to blame the game when you start doing whatever it is that you need to start doing to succeed at each game.

Over the years, perhaps because I am just a recreational player, it has taken me a very long time to understand this and am very slowing coming to solidify my technique enough to play different games without ill effect.

It ain't easy.

Having said that, I think for the average player: yes, playing the different games can easily throw you into bunt stroke or whatever the malady is for 3C.

Lou Figueroa
DW -- you're on "one"
110 today

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have to master 9 ball before you become a good one pocket player, coming from 30 years one pocket experience. Better yet, mastering all 4000 shots possibilities in pool then one pocket or other games.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you find that One Pocket is hurting your game, them you probably didn't have much of a game to begin with. Blame it on something else.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I think it does. One of the best all around players I know personally told me that one pocket ruined his pool game. He told me the only game he's strong at after playing one pocket for the last decade is one pocket. The way he explained it to me made perfect sense. He said that the patterns you play in one pocket are particular only to one pocket, they're vastly different than any other game. After playing only one pocket for a long enough time, you try to play a different game and all you see are one pocket patterns. He also told me that in one pocket, you primarily roll balls around. There aren't a lot of shots in general that you really need to put a stroke on and move the rock like you do in 9/10 ball. So when you switch games and find a shot you really need to stroke, it can be uncomfortable and a little unnerving to do so, leading to missed shots or botched shape.

That's how it was explained to me, and given the reputation and aptitude of the person telling me, I believe it. Personally, I'm not much of a one pocket player. 10 ball, banks, and 14.1 are my games of choice.

Jimmy Reid

US Open 9 Ball Champion
don't just jump into a 9 ball or 10 ball game, after playing one pocket...You need to hit some balls for about 30 minutes and get back into that POWER frame of mind first.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't just jump into a 9 ball or 10 ball game, after playing one pocket...You need to hit some balls for about 30 minutes and get back into that POWER frame of mind first.

There ya go. One pocket is such a defensive orientated game that you need to get back into an aggressive frame of mind.
Personally I hate the game. I like games where the focus is on firing balls in the pockets. Playing safe after safe is just plain boring.