Hal Houle

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I'm interested in the aiming system I've heard this guy speak of...

Anyone familiar with it?

Comments/Feedback would be appreciated... I see on his profile that he lives in Pa, I wonder if he'll be in Valley Forge.

Speaking of Valley Forge, who's going?

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
A System, You Say ?

branpureza said:

Anyone familiar with it?

Comments/Feedback would be appreciated... I see on his profile that he lives in Pa, I wonder if he'll be in Valley Forge.

Hal Houle's aiming system ? WOW !
I'm surprised that this has never been discussed here before.
Doug
( a ring carrying Houligan ) :)

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
branpureza said:

Anyone familiar with it?

I've just learned a basics of it. It works, but it does take a bit of practice and mental disciplin. You must trust the system and be able to aim perfectly... I am not an expert, as I said ...just been introduced.

S.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
I'd have to agree with Smorgy... This is definitely a topic that should be searched. There have been a lot of in depth conversations about this over the years. No reason to rehash this unless there is something new to contribute to the topic, imo.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
branpureza said:
Then try contributing something new to the topic.

Hey, at least it's pool-relative and substantive... feel free to move onto the other threads in this forum that have nothing to do with anything.

Like this:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=88089

Don't get your panties into a knot, Francis. I don't have anything new to contribute to that conversation, therefore I didn't start the topic. I was trying to help you find the information you seek. Does the information have to come from a new thread that you started? :confused:

S

Scottster

Put your glove on, grab your pocket chalker to use to dial the phone and call him at 484-623-4144.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Scottster said:
Put your glove on, grab your pocket chalker to use to dial the phone and call him at 484-623-4144.

Ha, I'll have to borrow your pocket chalker... I seem to have misplaced mine.

Thanks for the info.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
Don't get your panties into a knot, Francis. I don't have anything new to contribute to that conversation, therefore I didn't start the topic. I was trying to help you find the information you seek. Does the information have to come from a new thread that you started? :confused:

No worries. My name is Brandon by the way. Hopefully I'll see you at the tournament tomorrow. I'll come introduce myself.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very much doubt Hal will be at Valley Forge. He has to use a walker and is not able to get around too well. He's 83 or 84, after all. Call him, you won't regret it.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
branpureza said:

Anyone familiar with it?

I've visited with Hal twice and speak with him on the phone as often as I can. He is a GREAT guy that loves to talk pool.

I can guarantee he won't be at V.F. based on health reasons but I would definitely recommend calling him.
Hope to see you at VF.

Koop

champ2107

Banned
I pulled this off archers site and its houle i beleive writing this to archer, I have read alot of houle posts on other forums and he goes back to greenleaf dude, I think he was on the road with him? He seems to not like mosconi too much from the posts I read also. You can search his posts at one of the other big pool message boards.

"When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth." - Hal Houle

I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
champ2107 said:
I pulled this off archers site and its houle i beleive writing this to archer, I have read alot of houle posts on other forums and he goes back to greenleif dude, seems to not like mosconi at all from the posts I read also.

When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle

I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny

Yeah, Hal told me he did that. One interesting thing is that Johnny admits that he uses an aiming system. Honestly, I find it hard to believe he created his own.

champ2107

Banned
I cut and pasted this here, its not from me, lol

Hal Houle Point and Pivot System

The Hal Houle Point and Pivot system is a billiard aiming system that uses the geometry, layout, and design of a pool table, as well as some common assumptions to help you determine the appropriate spot on the object ball to strike with the cue ball. This method may not be for everyone, as it takes an analytical mind to wrap your head around some of the theories.

To begin, lets examine some of the assumptions that are made about the pool table, the cue stick, the cue ball, and the object ball:

You must know where your pivot point is. (Cue)
All proper billiard tables have a 2:1 ratio, meaning that they are exactly twice as long as they are wide.
The corners of the table are always 90 degree angles.
A 45 degree angle is formed when a cue is placed from the side pocket to the corner pocket.
A 30 degree angle is formed when a cue is placed from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail.
A 15 degree angle is formed when a cue is placed from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail.
When you add up these 3 angles, they total 90 degrees, which is the same angle formed by the table corners.
The cue ball relation to object ball relation shot angle is always either 15 degrees, 30 degrees, or 45 degrees.
There are only three angles for any type shot, on any table, no matter where the balls are placed. (I know this sounds absurd, but reserve this judgment until you read more.)
The Hal Houle Point and Pivot system uses these assumptions to deduce the proper angle you should take when shooting, but before we can complete the equation, there are a few more points to keep in mind here:

There are exactly two edges on the cue ball to aim with, and they are always located in exactly the same place on the cue ball.
There are exactly three spots on the object ball to set your aim toward, and they are always in exactly the same place on the object ball.
These two assumptions can lead us to calculate that two points on the cue ball multiplied by three points on the object ball totals six, which coincidentally is the same number of pockets on the table. From this we can reason that depending upon how the cue ball and object ball lie on the table in relation to each other, you can either pocket the object ball directly into a pocket or calculate a bank shot and sink it in any one of the remaining 5 pockets. The exact opposite is also true.

The balls may lie on the table in such a way that blocks certain shots, making a bank your only option. The Hal Houle point and pivot system takes this in to consideration. In fact, it provides that you will never have to look at any pocket or cushion while lining up the edge on the cue ball to the exact point on the object ball that needs to be struck. How can this be you ask? Well, you have only the three angles and so your only requirement at this point is to recognize whether your shot is a 15, 30, or 45 degree angle shot. This can be determined quickly and easily by aiming the edge of the cue ball to one of the three spots on the object ball. It will be obvious which object ball spot is correct, and there should be no doubt. You can be confident that any time one of the two edges on the cue ball is aimed toward any one of the three spots on the object ball, the object ball will surely be driven to a pocket.

Finding the Hal Houle Spots

At this point you are probably asking where these points are located, and how the heck you can find them. Good question.

On the cue ball you will find the spots on the left edge, and on the right edge. Which one you use will depend on whether you are cutting the object ball to the left or to the right.

On the object ball the three spots are the two quarters, and the center. Each of these spots face straight toward the edges of the cue ball, not facing toward the pocket.

Here is where it gets tricky so read this five or ten times so that you completely understand what is being said. When cutting to the left for 15 degrees, aim the cue ball's left edge at the object ball's left quarter. When cutting to the left for 30 degrees, aim the cue ball's left edge at the object ball's center. When you cut to the left for 45 degrees, aim the cue ball's left edge at the object ball's right quarter. When you cut to the right for 15 degrees, you aim the cue ball right edge at the object ball's right quarter. When you cut to the right for 30 degrees, you aim the cue ball's right edge at the object ball's center spot. When you cut to the right for 45 degrees, you aim the cue ball's right edge to the object ball's left quarter. Okay, now read this paragraph again.

When you aim the usual way, you will generally be coming close to these angles, but will usually be slightly off. Sometimes you'll be off enough for you to miss the shot. With this technique, you should be able to pocket any ball without looking at the pocket, or actually seeing it at all.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Call him. It will be the best phone time you can invest in pool.

Hal is a treasure that won't be here forever and the more folks that can learn and share what he knows the better.

Advice: Have a good earpiece ready to use and be by a pool table so you can do what he tells you to do.

Just the other night I was having trouble on 4.25 inch pockets and I went back to one of Hal's systems and started splitting the pocket again. Don't ask me to explain it just call him.

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Last time I talked to Hal, he had an unbelievable account of Greenleaf, and of the old days... That in itself was a gem. Greenleaf was something special.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
branpureza said:

Anyone familiar with it?

Hal and his systems are familiar to just about everybody who has been around internet forums for awhile. He reportedly has lots of systems, but the only one that's ever discussed is one where you divide the CB and OB into quarters and line those divisions up with each other in different ways to get a few easily aimed repeatable cut angles to act as helpful references in aiming.

But that's my description of the system - there is no official description of it and its users all say you gotta get it from Hal himself.

There's debate about whether aiming can successfully be limited to a small number of reference angles, but I think they can be useful either way. It can't hurt to be familiar with them.

I see on his profile that he lives in Pa, I wonder if he'll be in Valley Forge.

I believe he quit travelling in the past few years, but I hear he's generous with his time and advice on the phone. By all accounts he's a great guy whose system(s) and personalized approach has helped lots of players.

pj
chgo

RonV

AIMING,BANKING,D.SYSTEMS
Silver Member
Hi, I may be wrong but I think the guy from PA. is the guy i gave a phone lesson to on the swivel or as some call it the pivot system...I have given 4 phone lessons, Penna, Virginia,Colorado and Texas in the past week and it worked...the PA. guy liked it so much that he will be here tomorrow to take a 4 hour lesson...

RonV. VITELLOAIM@AOL.COM