NEED HELP!!! Flying with a cue

pharaoh68

Banned
Ok. So I'm headed to Vegas in a week or so to play in a tourney and, obviously, I need to bring my cue with me.

I'll be flying out of Newark and, while they're security isn't necessarily the strongest in the industry, I know they aren't going to let me hop on a plane with my case as a carry on. And I don't want to check it.

Some people have told me that I can FedEx it to the hotel I'll be staying at but that's expensive. Is there any other way? Is there any way I can get away with taking as a carry on? Or perhaps packing the case INSIDE a suitcase?

Thanks in advance.

-B

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no way you can get it on board as a carry-on. Not unless the security crew lets it slip. Don't chance it.

I've packed mine inside a suitcase before, but you need an awfully big suitcase for a cue case to go inside of it. You realize this is still "checking it in," which you said you didn't want to do.

If you're so freaked out about checking it in, suck it up and FedEx it to the hotel. It's not that expensive.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Pack it inside your suitcase. That's what I'll be doing in a few days. I certainly wouldn't pack any cue that's really valuable though. (I've had things disappear from my checked luggage.)

Other than that, FEDEX is probably your best option.

Flex

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
if you cue is worth anything you would be crazy risking it by putting it in a suitcase. the baggage throwers (oops, I mean handlers) will surely damage or ding it and that's if your lucky enough not to have it come up missing completely.

bubble wrap, hard tube = FedEx.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time I flew I watched checked baggage get stuck on a conveyor belt and then get shoved throuh by foot.

Spend the $45 and Fed Ex it...

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard of some women flying with a broom, but never with a cue. Could this be something we'll see in the next Harry Potter movie.

pharaoh68

Banned
Flex said:
Pack it inside your suitcase. That's what I'll be doing in a few days. I certainly wouldn't pack any cue that's really valuable though. (I've had things disappear from my checked luggage.)

Other than that, FEDEX is probably your best option.

Flex

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not gonna bring anything like the Motteys, Scruggs, or the Bluegrass or any of that stuff. (Not because they're so valuable but because I sold them all!!! :D :D :D )

Its just a Frey sneaky pete. I'm not worried about someone stealing it because its valuable. I just wanna have something to shoot with when I get there. Ya know? :eek:

Dave D

Registered
I usually travel with a rolling duffle bag that I check through. The duffle is big enough to put a hard cue case inside.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave D said:
I usually travel with a rolling duffle bag that I check through. The duffle is big enough to put a hard cue case inside.

I do the same thing, a duffle bag big enough to hold my case and the rest of my stuff.

If you're really worried about your cue in the event someone kicks your case around, then you should get a better case, imo.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was talking about putting his cue inside of a regular suitcase. the cue will fit but not the case too. And the cue only fits if you put it from corner to corner. That's how I brought mine with me to Boston and back.

A dufflebag is an interesting idea though. I would make sure to wrap your belongings inside in plastic though. I had a stop where my suitcase got soaked as well as the red shirt inside it and the white (then pink) shirt undernieth it.

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the SBE in Valley Forge, Pa. this year. I put my case with cues in my suitcase. I had no problem. I was concerned the same as you and this senario worked for me.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Go to your local Big 5 or other sporting goods store and get a baseball (bat) bag.....They make them from very cheap to very nice. (some lockable)

Your normal 2x4 case will slide right in and you can pack clothes on top....Put on a small lock (if you want) and you are good to go.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You can carry on the case, just not the cues.

pharaoh68 said:
Ok. So I'm headed to Vegas in a week or so to play in a tourney and, obviously, I need to bring my cue with me.

I'll be flying out of Newark and, while they're security isn't necessarily the strongest in the industry, I know they aren't going to let me hop on a plane with my case as a carry on. And I don't want to check it.

Some people have told me that I can FedEx it to the hotel I'll be staying at but that's expensive. Is there any other way? Is there any way I can get away with taking as a carry on? Or perhaps packing the case INSIDE a suitcase?

Thanks in advance.

-B

I always wrap my cues up really good and put them in my suitcase and then carry on my cue case. If the cuecase is empty, you can carry it on with you. That way you don't have to worry as much about sticky fingers and sweat the journey.

JAden

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to share my experiences...I've flown with cues 4 or 5 times and packed them real tight in tubes and checked them. Two times the cues were put on later flights and had to be delivered to me later that day or the next day by the airline. They eventually arrived just fine but waiting like that can induce some anxiety. All those flights were with Southwest.

Something to think about if you're playing the day after you arrive.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Beware_of_Dawg said:
if you cue is worth anything you would be crazy risking it by putting it in a suitcase. the baggage throwers (oops, I mean handlers) will surely damage or ding it and that's if your lucky enough not to have it come up missing completely.

bubble wrap, hard tube = FedEx.

Yeah, cause fedex is sooo much more careful with your packages. If you wrap it well enough and use a hardsuitcase, then it;'ll be fine. I do it all the time as I'm traveling everywhere for work and always bring my cues with me.

Jaden

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a big duffle bag .... wrap my clothes around my 4x2 hard case and then don't worry too much about it... Less than 3 weeks to Vegas... that's what I'll be doing.

Also, maybe take a picture of it in the bag to have as evidence in case it goes missing and you have to make a claim against it.

I can't believe when I see single cue cases coming off with all the baggage.... especially in Vegas where 7000 other pool players are arriving in town.

Chris

pharaoh68

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys.

Again, my main reason for concern is not damage to the cue. Its a $300 sneaky. I just worry about the package being lost. I wonder which is more likely...

FedEx not getting it there on time/losing it? Or the airline not getting it there on time/losing it?

Probably the latter.

av84fun

Banned
My 2x4 case fits diagonally in my large suitcase. It is well reinforced and I've never had any problems.

However, airline insurance is now up to $2,500 (maybe 3,000 now) and the only argument you miight get is that the cue was broken when you packed it.

SO...just take a digital pic of the cue next to that day's newspaper to prove it wasn't broker when you packed it.

Regards,
Jim

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
One piece bar cue.

Anyone have suggestions? I plan on putting it in a PVC tube and checking it in with my luggage, has anyone tried this, I've heard the snooker players have one piece cues.