Joe Rogan gives pool lessons

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Lol
The guy in black shirt must be paid to ask those super noob questions.
He lost me when I heard him say on one of his podcasts that Pacquiao is a top pro player.
Rogan should stick to MMA (wait wasn’t he the one who heaped mega superlatives on Rousey) :smile:

Yea, because that guy in the black shirt knows all about billiards... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not hard to clock his game. He has obviously put in enough time on the table to pocket balls and move the cue ball around, understands pattern play, and can run balls in rotation. That said, he clearly has some things to learn about pattern play and I can see from how he shoots his consistency wouldn't be there. It's hard to picture him breaking and running 4 racks of 9 ball, but it wouldn't be impossible if he was playing all of the time. But really I'd put his fargo rate somewhere in the 575 range plus or minus 10 points.

For those really interested in picking apart patterns here are some of the tells that reveal leaks in his game. The 4 to the 5 (which he had to reset up and shoot again as another poster pointed out) was crossing the line into the narrow end of the positional zone and he had to get lucky to get shape. Better would be if he could've gone across table to the other side rail instead of down table towards the end rail. If he hit just past the side he'd always have a shot and would have a natural angle to come back up table to the other end rail to get an angle on the 6 to go back for the 7. But if he had to play it the route he did it would've been better to get all the way to the end rail, to the side rail and out again. So three rails to the larger end of the positional zone. The way he played it he could've gotten straight in, on the end rail, short in the middle of the table, or even run into the 5.

Then from the 7 to the 8 he talked about not wanting to get hooked behind the 10. He hit a good shot but ended up side pocket hooked and was lucky not to scratch. I don't think this was best. I have good cue ball but wouldn't want to have to pound draw back to a small window and then draw back through the same window across the line of position for the 9. I think it's much better to use high right on the 7, follow to the side rail and spin down below the 9 for a cut on the 8. From there you will always have a shot and an angle to play shape for the 9 (how would depend on the exact angle).

I am not picking on Joe in any way, for an amateur player he is way above average and is definitely a 'real' pool player. He has obviously put in his time and has passion for the game. And when it comes to podcasts he's elite. So for being an afterthought hobby it is pretty impressive and not surprising given the heart he puts into everything he does.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he made a fool of himself saying that she was a once in a lifetime fighter. He went on to say that she would probably clear out most of the 125lb men's division.

I think most people would have been shocked at some of the guys she would have submitted. Not just 125s

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most people would have been shocked at some of the guys she would have submitted. Not just 125s

Considering the guys at 135 at the time, I doubt it.
Cruz, Barao, faber, mike Brown, dj, Benavidez, etc
At least among the top guys in her own weight
class, she would have gotten smashed.
A mix of hype and competitors with limited
skills made her look good.
She did alot for womens mma but ufc and Rogan
exaggerated her abilities.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_K7dswCvN4

That is Rousey getting worked by a high school wrestler when Rogan said she would clear out the UFC men's division.

She was a really good Judoka but came to women's MMA in it's infancy similar to that of Royce Gracie. No one knew what to do with him or her in the beginning.

She was a one dimensional fighter who should have stuck with her game plan. Tarverdyan convinced her that she had the best hands in ALL of MMA and she could beat Floyd Mayweather in boxing.

She decided to box Holy Holm, a 16 time defending world champion in 3 different weight classes and was completely out classed.

She then tried to prove a point by showing everyone that it was a fluke and she really could fight and then got obliterated by Nunes.

She was really good at women's MMA in the beginning but once it evolved, fighters caught up with her skill level and passed her. She was not willing to seek out better trainers to keep up with the sport.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he made a fool of himself saying that she was a once in a lifetime fighter. He went on to say that she would probably clear out most of the 125lb men's division.

Remember if he doesn't promote especially who Dana wants, he could be out of a job.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol
He lost me when I heard him say on one of his podcasts that Pacquiao is a top pro player.
:

'
Id have to see that to believe it. In fact I'll bet $25 he never said Pacquiao was a 'top pro player'.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
It's not hard to clock his game. He has obviously put in enough time on the table to pocket balls and move the cue ball around, understands pattern play, and can run balls in rotation. That said, he clearly has some things to learn about pattern play and I can see from how he shoots his consistency wouldn't be there. It's hard to picture him breaking and running 4 racks of 9 ball, but it wouldn't be impossible if he was playing all of the time. But really I'd put his fargo rate somewhere in the 575 range plus or minus 10 points.

For those really interested in picking apart patterns here are some of the tells that reveal leaks in his game. The 4 to the 5 (which he had to reset up and shoot again as another poster pointed out) was crossing the line into the narrow end of the positional zone and he had to get lucky to get shape. Better would be if he could've gone across table to the other side rail instead of down table towards the end rail. If he hit just past the side he'd always have a shot and would have a natural angle to come back up table to the other end rail to get an angle on the 6 to go back for the 7. But if he had to play it the route he did it would've been better to get all the way to the end rail, to the side rail and out again. So three rails to the larger end of the positional zone. The way he played it he could've gotten straight in, on the end rail, short in the middle of the table, or even run into the 5.

Then from the 7 to the 8 he talked about not wanting to get hooked behind the 10. He hit a good shot but ended up side pocket hooked and was lucky not to scratch. I don't think this was best. I have good cue ball but wouldn't want to have to pound draw back to a small window and then draw back through the same window across the line of position for the 9. I think it's much better to use high right on the 7, follow to the side rail and spin down below the 9 for a cut on the 8. From there you will always have a shot and an angle to play shape for the 9 (how would depend on the exact angle).

I am not picking on Joe in any way, for an amateur player he is way above average and is definitely a 'real' pool player. He has obviously put in his time and has passion for the game. And when it comes to podcasts he's elite. So for being an afterthought hobby it is pretty impressive and not surprising given the heart he puts into everything he does.

Well stated. Just my opinion but I think Joe is a guy who can be accepted in many of life's aspects. A bright man who finds many things interesting, and researches all pretty well. Car guys consider him welcome, so do pool guys, and that is only 2 areas he displays knowledge in.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Ronda, never step over a whizzer.......

Who???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_K7dswCvN4

That is Rousey getting worked by a high school wrestler when Rogan said she would clear out the UFC men's division.

She was a really good Judoka but came to women's MMA in it's infancy similar to that of Royce Gracie. No one knew what to do with him or her in the beginning.

She was a one dimensional fighter who should have stuck with her game plan. Tarverdyan convinced her that she had the best hands in ALL of MMA and she could beat Floyd Mayweather in boxing.

She decided to box Holy Holm, a 16 time defending world champion in 3 different weight classes and was completely out classed.

She then tried to prove a point by showing everyone that it was a fluke and she really could fight and then got obliterated by Nunes.

She was really good at women's MMA in the beginning but once it evolved, fighters caught up with her skill level and passed her. She was not willing to seek out better trainers to keep up with the sport.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol
:

Again $25 if you can point out a Podcast where he said that Pacquiao ' is a top pro player'.

Edit-Make it $50

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
So you guys all play perfect patterns and never miss while simultaneously carrying on a conversation and making reasonably watchable YouTube content...impressive.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
So you guys all play perfect patterns and never miss while simultaneously carrying on a conversation and making reasonably watchable YouTube content...impressive.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking when watching. He’s trying to give an extremely rough overview of the intricacies of the game. Not necessarily teaching the guy correct pattern play, more just showing him the thought process.

I wouldn’t want to have to clock his speed based on that video alone

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s what I was thinking when watching. He’s trying to give an extremely rough overview of the intricacies of the game. Not necessarily teaching the guy correct pattern play, more just showing him the thought process.

I wouldn’t want to have to clock his speed based on that video alone

Not sure one snip bit is a true clocking. But it would be great to see if he is a A or a B player.

I think he would beast me pretty readily...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Considering the guys at 135 at the time, I doubt it.
Cruz, Barao, faber, mike Brown, dj, Benavidez, etc
At least among the top guys in her own weight
class, she would have gotten smashed.
A mix of hype and competitors with limited
skills made her look good.
She did alot for womens mma but ufc and Rogan
exaggerated her abilities.

You're right. She would NOT have beaten any one of them, she would have had her clocked clean. I would have cleaned her clock in my younger days in the martial arts and I was hardly any champion. I was 155 pounds.

Not to mention, the bar room brawlers, with no formal training except real life experience would have killed her in a heart beat. I don't even like to fight bar brawlers back in the day, they were just mean SOB's and you had to kill them to win the fight. Fuggers could take punches all night long, how do you win that shit ? No thanks, I avoided them at all costs, you knew who they were as soon as you entered any bar in the area ;)

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol
Rogan should stick to MMA (wait wasn’t he the one who heaped mega superlatives on Rousey) :smile:

LOL
Don't remember which episode. Rogan has superlative praise for Pacquiao pool skills.
Here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBfIbF4g0M&feature=youtu.be&t=6183 where he claims Pacquiao plays at professional level. :D

That's not 'a top pro player' so im not gonna listen and u dont get $50