radial tap issue

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am having an issue trying to tap a new shaft with a radial tap.
I have successfully used this tap before, so I'm not really sure where I'm screwing up.
Anyway, I had the shaft chucked up on the small end, with the joint end in a collet in a ball bearing steady rest. Everything seemed very solid and secure. I center drilled, then drilled with a 1/4" bit, then bored the hole to .312. I put a little wax on the tap and ran it in a couple times, and everything seemed fine. Except it won't screw on to the cue. It almost seems cross-threaded? I tried putting another shaft (which I made with the same tap) on this cue with no problems.
I have bored out this shaft twice now and plugged and re-tapped it, trying to do each step as perfectly as I know how, and if anything, my results are getting worse. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought so too, but a different shaft, that I made using the same tap, screws on just fine. The cue is a sledgehammer.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought so too, but a different shaft, that I made using the same tap, screws on just fine. The cue is a sledgehammer.

sledgehammer uses the overseas radial, but then Samsara was doing them also but don't know what they were using. sorry josh.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
sledgehammer uses the overseas radial, but then Samsara was doing them also but don't know what they were using. sorry josh.

ding ding ding .
Same ones used on imported Omega, Nick Varner and Schmelke for a while.
They have more that 7.5 tpi.

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I held the tap next to the pin and I could easily see what everyone is saying. It is obviously not the right tap. I guess I must have done a pretty sloppy job on that first shaft, for it to fit both pins. Oh well, at least its mine, and not for a customer. Anyone know where I could find the "import" radial tap?
Thanks,
Josh

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I held the tap next to the pin and I could easily see what everyone is saying. It is obviously not the right tap. I guess I must have done a pretty sloppy job on that first shaft, for it to fit both pins. Oh well, at least its mine, and not for a customer. Anyone know where I could find the "import" radial tap?
Thanks,
Josh

I thought Schmelke sold it at one time.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't believe they carry them any more. At least a year or two ago they said that they weren't. I've got one but it doesn't work very well.

Dick

Another bastard pin. I'm glad it's going extinct.
I really don't know how a joint pin can get any better than the true radial pin.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know how a joint pin can get any better than the true radial pin.

Well Sir, Just because opinions vary and everyone wants to be special. I have quite the inventory of taps and dies. I decided not to have any more made a few years back, It's just not worth it.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was sold to me as Schmelke's tap (I bought from a trusted member here) does not work worth a damn. It looks like a driver, the "tap" compresses the threads to form in the hole. It's crap.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was sold to me as Schmelke's tap (I bought from a trusted member here) does not work worth a damn. It looks like a driver, the "tap" compresses the threads to form in the hole. It's crap.

That's what I got also.

Dick