Air between tennon and ferrule

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Bought a used breaker before o couple of weeks and was wondering why it felt so dead. While breaking it had a bad energy transfer although it was stiff enough. So I decided to cut the ferrule half of the length, and what I saw was not a surprise. The ferrule was capped and the bore inside for the tennon was much deeper than the tennon. The gap also wasn't filled with anything, so there was round about 2/10 of an inch air between tennon and cap of the ferrule.

The shaft was long enough so I flattend the ferrule until tennon and ferrule were plane. Put a samsara break tip on. Now it feels very nive and firm, breaking now is effective and controllable like it is necessary.

Here some pictures of the ferrule end that I cut off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407049130.492321.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407049151.494782.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407049162.842719.jpg

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Maybe it was a 'low deflection' breaker....lol....:wink::grin-square: just kidding.
When I install the ones I make, I have a small glue relief hole at the top, and I load the epoxy into the ferrule before screwing it on and on the tenon threads also...no gaps that way. The extra squeezes out and fills all the gaps at the same time.
DAve

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put a flat on the tennon for air and glue vent, then put the glue only in the bottom of the ferrule.No glue is put on the tennon itself , only carefully placed in the centre in the bottom of the ferrule.
I then very slowly, twist the ferrule on ,the air and excess glue all goes up the flat and out around the flange face.
Make a ferrule out of acrylic, for testing, and you will see what I am talking about and how it works.
Neil

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Maybe it was a 'low deflection' breaker....lol....:wink::grin-square: just kidding.

When I install the ones I make, I have a small glue relief hole at the top, and I load the epoxy into the ferrule before screwing it on and on the tenon threads also...no gaps that way. The extra squeezes out and fills all the gaps at the same time.

DAve

Your are right, it was a LD break shaft :) :) :)

The capped ferrule I install also like you described. Air inbetween as well as other tolerances should be avoided, then you can have a reproducable installation result...