OB Plus Shafts...

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the title of this thread is OB Plus Shafts...I thought I would give my impression of my OB2+ shaft and get the thread a little bit more on track. Let me start by saying it was love a first stroke! Literally I screwed it on my cue at Seyberts, chalked up and first shot I took, I was in love! The hit compared to my Z2 S-tuned is just so much better to me. The feel is amazing! I think I have played with my Z2 one time since, and that was so my buddy could try out the OB. I am not a scientist when it comes to deflection but cue ball on head spot full three tips of english aim at the center dot on the other end, stroke the heck out of the ball and it hits the center dot. Might as well be no deflection as far as I can tell. On the other hand, if you need to hit it softer with that much english, I am getting so much spin on the cue ball that its spinning the ball away from the shot line! So I just have to keep that in mind. Love the feel, love the spin, love the shaft! Highly recommended!

Now please stop leaving me in suspense!!! Put some info up on the website about the new break shaft!! A nice picture and a $$ amount would be nice too!! Also it would be amazing if you could send Seyberts a test break cue, so I can break with it and see how bad I need it that would be lovely!! :grin:

Thanks for the review! I'm getting super excited about my new Classic+. It shipped out a couple weeks ago to schon so they could put their specific joint on it and laser engrave the schon logo and everything. Should be about done by now.. I CANT WAIT!

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
O got another question to OB: Does OB - or os OB able to - recommend a certain weight that fits most to the characteristics of the new Pro + ?? Would be interesting to hear something from OB about this issue. My new original bocote sneaky with the pro + now has 18,45 oz with a 47 cm balance point. Feels very well balanced and I could imagine, that such a high performance, highly efficient shaft fits better to 18,5 oz than to 19,5 oz.

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my OB+1 last week, really like it will probably get another one in the future as my back-up. Had other OB, 314 and Lucasi LD this one feels the best to me.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Guys are really maken me want one. I've heard few say things about the taper what's the difference from the old taper?

geemoney

Registered
Got my OB Pro + two weeks ago and compared to my 314 2 , OB1 and the wd700, the OB Pro + blows them all away, it has a great solid feel and 11.75 mm was an easy adjustment and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Awesome shaft!

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my OB Pro + two weeks ago and compared to my 314 2 , OB1 and the wd700, the OB Pro + blows them all away, it has a great solid feel and 11.75 mm was an easy adjustment and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Awesome shaft!

a good report. I am wanting an ob+ shaft but am waiting for the local supplier to have them in stock....that could be a wait). I was wondering why you chose the OB Pro + over the other choices; 12.25mm, soft hit versus hard crisp hit? did you try all of them first or just settled on that one? trying to do a little research before I send the $$$$. can't decide between the soft or hard hit just yet.

geemoney

Registered
I like the solid feel of the Mezz WD700 and the low defection of the Predator 3142 and the OB1. The new OB Pro + seemed to be a good combination of the solid crisp hit of the Mezz with the deflection of the 3142/OB1 and as for the 11.75 diameter I borrowed my friends Z2 and liked the control. I my opinion OB has made the perfect shaft for my game.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Hope I get to try one somewhere & soon !

AtLarge

That's really a great question!

First a little background.
If you take a good look at our SR6, and now SR6+ construction process, you'll see something that just doesn't happen in any other style of blank or shaft construction. That something is stress relieving. The SR in SR6 stands for Stress Relieving.
When you turn parts round, between centers, you are stress relieving. The wood gets to settle in to whatever shape or configuration it wants to be in, and then the high sides get cut away leaving a straight piece. Then, the piece rests and finds a new shape. It gets cut again, and rested. Shafts have been made this way for as long as they've been made. They get a small cut to take off the high spots, and then they get a rest. After they have settled in to whatever spot they want to be in, the high spots get cut off again. And so on until the shaft is at final size and pretty much stable.
With our SR6 and SR6+ we get to stress relieve the individual pieces that go into the blank itself, and then do it again by stress relieving the whole shaft as we turn it down.

Ok, now about the wood.
Way back many years ago, when we started, laminated was by far the best choice for a number of reasons. Availability and consistency were big factors.
Now, after about a year of research and creating some new methods for cutting and drying, we are able to change from the laminated pieces to solid maple pieces. This was not an easy transition. You can't just use 6 shaft blanks to make each shaft as it would cost way too much. This new process leads all the way back to which trees are chosen for our cue shafts. The milling process is different. The drying process is different, and the sorting process is different.

Moving to solid maple improves the hit or feel of our cue shafts as well as the visual appearance and the smoothness.

I hope that helps!

Royce

Although I do like my stripe- grained laminated OB-2, it does have a little deflection still. Changing to solid maple and changing the process may eliminate that last stitch of deflection. I will look forward to trying one.

Can you put a stripe or two down the length of the shaft just for ole-time sake ? :wink:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Although I do like my stripe- grained laminated OB-2, it does have a little deflection still. Changing to solid maple and changing the process may eliminate that last stitch of deflection. I will look forward to trying one.

Can you put a stripe or two down the length of the shaft just for ole-time sake ? :wink:

I'm telling myself the same thing in order to justify buying an OB2+. I don't think I'd notice the difference in deflection because I'm rarely at the far limits on the CB. I hope the "feel" is enough to justify it, although I like the feel of the regular OB2 just fine.

Heck, I admit it -- I just want to buy something :D

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After lots of reading into a new shaft, I've finally decided to settle down on an OB shaft. I'm looking into buying the OB-1 + shaft sometime this week. I played with the OB-2 today and it was way too small, it felt like a snooker cue. I never knew 1mm made such a difference.

There's something I hope Rob or someone can answer as I'm still learning about some terminologies. The description for OB Plus shafts says it evolved into a solid maple spliced SR6+ (Stress Relieving +?) . By solid, does that mean the shafts are no longer laminated? I kinda wished there was a new image that can allow us to see a physical visual of the new construction. The photos from the original OB shafts looked very beautiful and I enjoyed seeing how it's cut and made before its shipped out to retailers.

Also funny question but what happens when OB releases a third generation shaft? Would it be OB ++? More plus signs for future successors? Haha just a thought.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After lots of reading into a new shaft, I've finally decided to settle down on an OB shaft. I'm looking into buying the OB-1 + shaft sometime this week. I played with the OB-2 today and it was way too small, it felt like a snooker cue. I never knew 1mm made such a difference.

There's something I hope Rob or someone can answer as I'm still learning about some terminologies. The description for OB Plus shafts says it evolved into a solid maple spliced SR6+ (Stress Relieving +?) . By solid, does that mean the shafts are no longer laminated? I kinda wished there was a new image that can allow us to see a physical visual of the new construction. The photos from the original OB shafts looked very beautiful and I enjoyed seeing how it's cut and made before its shipped out to retailers.

Also funny question but what happens when OB releases a third generation shaft? Would it be OB ++? More plus signs for future successors? Haha just a thought.

The plus shafts differ from the previous models in several ways. The biggest difference is that the *pieces* that they laminate together are now made of solid maple, rather than laminated maple. So the older versions were actually double laminated...they laminated pieces that were laminated. Now they laminate pieces that are solid maple. Hope this clears it up. I have now tired all the varieties of + shafts. I personally play with the Pro + and have come to like the small diameter. However, the new Classic + is absolutely amazing. Maybe the best in the bunch. I would try that one if you prefer the 12.75mm size.

KMRUNOUT