Best cue tip for Mezz WX700 ?

rene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WX700(kamui black soft) feels stiffer frrom WD700(kamui black soft) .Which tip should i put ? I thought about Zan Soft. Any suggestion ,please ?

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you trying to make it feel less stiff? A new tip will not help with that, unless it's psychosomatic. Beyond that, no one can tell you your personal preference.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same as any other shaft.
The physics are exactly the same,
Just select the hardness you want and experiment with brand if you must.
But first ask your self, what's wrong with the tip that is/was on it?

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do share your frustration and am convinced that tip and shaft go hand in hand.
Before completely changing it you might try punctuating it with a Cuetec bowtie tool (or similar) A LOT. Then put on a drop of water and let settle for 1 day. Then shape / scuff again with care and try it.
It should've gotten more elastic (and also grippy) now.

You also might want to put a fiber pad (OB for exampled) below the tip.
I've read about the drilling in the shaft settling and the leather giving in at that spot.

I'd advice against Tiger Sniper and also Onyx - they start out great but are hard and stiff way too soon.
Ultraskins seems to be nice or even a Ki-Tech or Milkdud?

Cheers,
M

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I had the same problem, the WX700 was too crisp and felt a bit strange with high english. I have now on both of my WX700 the Navigator Alpha medium, and they play great, not too hard. Before I had the Ultraskin soft, and it was a LITTLE bit to soft for my feeling, but had also a great feel and sound. The Navigator Alpha medium is great, a homogeneous medium feeling similar tothe feel of a good triangle, and soft enough to play very smooth strokes also.

The G2 medium was too soft to me and sound + general feeling were not good. The Onyx was too hard, no feeling. The kamui black ss had the worst feeling.

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
WX700(kamui black soft) feels stiffer frrom WD700(kamui black soft) .Which tip should i put ? I thought about Zan Soft. Any suggestion ,please ?

A triangle is a good tip and won't break you.

Try pressing them and then putting them on.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no such answer as to what is a "best" tip for a particular shaft.

Everybody likes a particular hit and the different combinations of ferrules, shafts, and tips all go into making that "hit".

What hits right for you, may not hit right for me.

I currently use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft and it came with an Everest tip and I thought that tip sucked (it continually miscued and hit very hard, to me). I replaced it with a Black Kamui Super Soft and I thought that tip was too "bendy" and "sticky" when it was left at its original length. When I cut about half of it off, it played much more to my liking.

When it finally wore down to the nub and I had it replaced a month, or so, ago, I put on a Kamui Black Medium tip. I don't like the way it hits. To me, it hits a bit hard and is what I call "pingy". When I get the chance to buy another tip, I'll go with something else that is more akin to what the Kamui Black Super Soft was when it was cut down. Maybe a Kamui Black Soft might work. I don't like buying expensive tips and then getting rid of half of it before you shoot a ball.

Years ago, when I used a different cue and a regular shaft, I always put on my own tips and used Le Pros. I used to buy them by the box and "cherry pick" them and use the best ones in the box. I quit buying them when the quality went even further down.

I like tips that give a solid hit, without a "pingy" sound. I also don't like tips that give a lot of "rebound" to the cue ball. I prefer to "stroke" the ball around the table and be able to "feel" the ball. I don't want the tip to bounce the ball around on its own.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I had the same problem, the WX700 was too crisp and felt a bit strange with high english. I have now on both of my WX700 the Navigator Alpha medium, and they play great, not too hard. Before I had the Ultraskin soft, and it was a LITTLE bit to soft for my feeling, but had also a great feel and sound. The Navigator Alpha medium is great, a homogeneous medium feeling similar tothe feel of a good triangle, and soft enough to play very smooth strokes also.

The G2 medium was too soft to me and sound + general feeling were not good. The Onyx was too hard, no feeling. The kamui black ss had the worst feeling.

I like the crispness of the WD 700, love it in fact. I'm toying with the idea of putting a "White Diamond" tip on! More ping than a chineese phonebook!

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Try an SIB Pro.

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no such answer as to what is a "best" tip for a particular shaft.

Everybody likes a particular hit and the different combinations of ferrules, shafts, and tips all go into making that "hit".

What hits right for you, may not hit right for me.

I currently use a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft and it came with an Everest tip and I thought that tip sucked (it continually miscued and hit very hard, to me). I replaced it with a Black Kamui Super Soft and I thought that tip was too "bendy" and "sticky" when it was left at its original length. When I cut about half of it off, it played much more to my liking.

When it finally wore down to the nub and I had it replaced a month, or so, ago, I put on a Kamui Black Medium tip. I don't like the way it hits. To me, it hits a bit hard and is what I call "pingy". When I get the chance to buy another tip, I'll go with something else that is more akin to what the Kamui Black Super Soft was when it was cut down. Maybe a Kamui Black Soft might work. I don't like buying expensive tips and then getting rid of half of it before you shoot a ball.

Years ago, when I used a different cue and a regular shaft, I always put on my own tips and used Le Pros. I used to buy them by the box and "cherry pick" them and use the best ones in the box. I quit buying them when the quality went even further down.

I like tips that give a solid hit, without a "pingy" sound. I also don't like tips that give a lot of "rebound" to the cue ball. I prefer to "stroke" the ball around the table and be able to "feel" the ball. I don't want the tip to bounce the ball around on its own.

Moori Soft