Jackie Gleson high run

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The thread title, although cryptic, asks what the man's high run was. Now suddenly we decide a person has to regularly run over 100, or they really didn't do it at all I guess. But we think he could do 50 based on some magic algorithm we have in our head...but not twice in a row because that would be 100.

Even this Law and Order guy's game becomes a semantics puzzle. Someone posts that he saw him play and thinks he is cable of 100. That's just an opinion and the guys dead so why not just let a complement about his game lie? But no, someone else saw him play and has decided he could never have run 100.

Some people are so full of a combination of themselves and pure crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread title, although cryptic, asks what the man's high run was. Now suddenly we decide a person has to regularly run over 100, or they really didn't do it at all I guess. But we think he could do 50 based on some magic algorithm we have in our head...but not twice in a row because that would be 100.

Even this Law and Order guy's game becomes a semantics puzzle. Someone posts that he saw him play and thinks he is cable of 100. That's just an opinion and the guys dead so why not just let a complement about his game lie? But no, someone else saw him play and has decided he could never have run 100.

Some people are so full of a combination of themselves and pure crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP here.

Wasn't meaning to be cryptic. I just had heard JR mention the magic 100 # and thought based on what I've seen it seemed high. I figure that with all the people who where around to maybe see Jackie, they might know or have a better gauge of his speed.

Folks talk about high runs all the time (either how may packs they've run or the magic 100+ runs), and I've heard Joe say he's run a 4 pack (10 ball I believe) and thought from what I've seen not likely (without early 10s in the pack at least). But I don't know, and he does put himself out there.

Also he mentions others (Artie Lang is one) as being "Good Players" but from what I've seen not so much. But what do I know, thus asking others here...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
james garner was supposed to be an excellent shot.

E8E79FD1-87FE-46C8-82B7-E32D36C0ADB2.png

———————

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Jay Helfert actually played Jerry at Guys and Dolls....Jay brings us the goods so many
times....it should be appreciated....so many pool hall tales are like fishing stories.
Kudos to Jay

pt....who has played at Guys and Dolls and went broke on table 36....
...the tightest GCI in the joint

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jackie had a photographic memory.
The honeymooners was not rehearsed as he insisted comedy should spontaneous .
Audrey meadows and the rest of the cast were radio veterans. They wanted rehearsals but jackie got his way.
It worked out for the best , of course.
It was the funniest show ever.

"One of these days, Alice... Bang, zoom! To the moon, Alice!"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
On another note, I played and gambled with Jerry Orbach as young men in the 60's. Always at 9-Ball and always at Guys and Dolls on 50th and Broadway. He never beat me and I seriously doubt he could run 100 balls ever, unless he improved substantially in later years. He looked like a guy who could run maybe two or three racks.

He did improve a lot. I played Jerry in 1992 and was quite impressed. A good friend of his told me Jerry had run over 60.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

James Garner was from Norman, Ok, the home of Oklahoma U. I spent two years there and met and played pool with his brother, who drove a Coca Cola delivery truck. He would deliver to the campus pool room and hang out and play. He told me that James had been the best pool shooter in town.

Years later I met Garner at Hillcrest Country Club in Los Angeles. He was playing golf there. I told him I went to school in Norman and had shot pool with his brother. He said, "Really." I told him what his brother had said about him being a good player and he responded, "My brother likes to exaggerate things." I think Garner may well have been gambling with people there and wanted to keep his pool skills on the QT.

Last edited:

peterpau

Registered
Eddie "Cannonball" Keinowski and Joe Bachlor were 100 ball runners. Cannonball would play me 50 no count and I could never win.

MalibuMike

Banned
Homina, homina, homina

As for Jackie Gleason, his eyes betray him.

Those aren't the eyes of a hundred-ball runner.

What do you need, The 1000 Yard Stare to Run 100 balls? To look through the obvious, a stare beyond or through to the other side of reality? The stare all combat veterans get after prolonged trips into the boonies and combat, and is usually related to extreme consciousness during the most devastating of experiences, Today it has been better defined as PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

The 1000 Yard Stare!

Attachments

• DSC_2753.JPG
    DSC_2753.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 245
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 250
  • St81.jpg
    St81.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 254
  • str81.jpg
    str81.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 253
  • user71166_pic15226_1429131851.jpg
    user71166_pic15226_1429131851.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 247

poolflake

Mosconi

I saw Willie play an exhibiton in the 60s and he ran 71 and out, and then said he hadn't run his hundred today (implying he ran a hundred every day in practice) so he ran 30 more to finish. He was quick and smooth, no wasted motions, ready to shoot the next ball before the cue ball stopped moving (his position play amazing), a real joy to watch. Just saying!

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you need, The 1000 Yard Stare to Run 100 balls? To look through the obvious, a stare beyond or through to the other side of reality? The stare all combat veterans get after prolonged trips into the boonies and combat, and is usually related to extreme consciousness during the most devastating of experiences, Today it has been better defined as PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

The 1000 Yard Stare!

Huh?

He has the eyes of a c player. Almost as telling as a player's stroke or rhythm.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
The late Jerry Orbach of Law and Order was also a very fine straight pooler. I played against him briefly in 1992 and the guy was a very fine player, easily capable of a 100 ball run.

I have heard Gleason referred to as a "B" player, so the claim of 100 seems improbable.

I don't suppose any friends or family have any video of him playing straight pool? I would very much like to watch that.

Nccm

Registered

The 1000 Yard Stare!

I don't know about your version of a 1,000 yard stair MalibuMike but he doesn't have anything compared to being a combat vet with PTSD. ?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's difficult to compare players from yesteryear to today. Different game, different equipment, different rules, et cetera.

Look at Willie Mosconi's famous 14.1 record. Everybody raves about it. Now look at what John Schmidt is doing today with his 14.1 record.

It is important to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Look at the table Willie played on and look at the table John is playing on, and then there's the pocket size, table cloth, shooting cue, cue tip.

Put John in Willie's era, and he would have barbecue'd Willie's record after having experience with today's hardware. Put Willie in the year 2019 and have him play on modern equipment, and there might be a new Willie Moscono record.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackie Gleason grew up in a pool room in NYC. He was the rack boy. I'm positive he had talent and could run. What his high run was, I'm not sure.

Those who knew him personally say he had odd personality, but I always liked him.

Here's a cute video of Jackie playing Morley Safer on "60 Minutes." https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minute...morley-safer-played-pool-with-jackie-gleason/

No doubt about it, Jackie loved him some pool. He may have been a star, a comedian, and all the rest, but he was also one of us, a pool enthusiast who loved the game.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackie Gleason grew up in a pool room in NYC. He was the rack boy. I'm positive he had talent and could run. What his high run was, I'm not sure.

Those who knew him personally say he had odd personality, but I always liked him.

Here's a cute video of Jackie playing Morley Safer on "60 Minutes." https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minute...morley-safer-played-pool-with-jackie-gleason/

No doubt about it, Jackie loved him some pool. He may have been a star, a comedian, and all the rest, but he was also one of us, a pool enthusiast who loved the game.

I bet he hustled his way through college, too... I don't see any reason why he should be given the benefit of the serious doubt on this.

Was "I ran a hundred." the line before "I hustled my way through college." caught on?

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
always thought that was a big part of Willie's value

I saw Willie play an exhibiton in the 60s and he ran 71 and out, and then said he hadn't run his hundred today (implying he ran a hundred every day in practice) so he ran 30 more to finish. He was quick and smooth, no wasted motions, ready to shoot the next ball before the cue ball stopped moving (his position play amazing), a real joy to watch. Just saying!

I always thought that was a big part of Willie's value to Brunswick. He made running racks look so easy that those that didn't know better could think they could buy a table and be stringing racks themselves in a few weeks.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I always thought that was a big part of Willie's value to Brunswick. He made running racks look so easy that those that didn't know better could think they could buy a table and be stringing racks themselves in a few weeks.

Hu

Willie had a rep for being a bit crusty and jealous of his position in the pool world...
...some of his contemporaries said he didn’t even like the game...it was a paycheck.

But on this video, around the 21 minute mark, when he makes a good shot...
...his face doesn’t hide the satisfaction he felt...he was a pool nut like everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yym21l9_Z3U