St. Louis is now Smoke Free

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
So far it has been an interesting ride into a smoke free 2011. A lot more fear and uncertainty that facts were on our minds during 2010. Its only been 6 days but so far we have seen a few regular chain smokers cut their time in our room. But more non smokers have stayed longer for playing pool. Pool time hasnt changed yet, but it is still early. Statistics say we should have a drop for the first few months. Hopefully it will be minimal. We are cleaning daily and are not even 10% done, but hear a LOT of compliments on the change in SMELL. A lot of women are happy with this. So hopefully more women will start playing pool. That in turn may bring in some new male players. Time will tell. Just sharing one pool room's story with a change in smoking laws.

The Pool Hall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope for you and your business that its the best thing that ever happened. I don't see it happening in my area anytime soon but I don't think it would matter................just make changes is all.

Dustin_J

Commence the Jigglin!
Silver Member
Hi Craig,

As someone who has frequented your room in the past, I must say that the smell really was pretty minimal, especially compared to other rooms. However, I imagine that I'll spend more time in the room knowing that I'll be able to go out afterward without having to go home and change/shower due to the smoke from other patrons. I really hope this doesn't adversely affect your room since it is IMO, hands down the best room in St. Louis. Of course, this is just 1 man's opinion.

Last edited:

JStarkweather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think everyone will adjust to the change well enough. IL has been this way for sometime now and everyone mostly has transitioned just fine, including me. Now that I smoke electronic cigarettes, it doesnt matter to me anymore.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Maine has been smoke-free for 7 years or so, if I remember correctly. There are as many places to go out to now as before, probably more.

I can't speak to pool rooms specifically, as I wasn't playing then. But if there were more places to play at that time I would be quite surprised, as I was a bit of a barfly in the years preceding the smoking ban. I don't recall any other "bigger" pool rooms existing then, other than what we have currently.

People adapt. You may lose some hard-core people over it, but they will be replaced by those who couldn't stand the smoke before. (I was one. I would have to shower when I got home, or my wife would become completely congested and couldn't breathe well.) Those two groups are a small percentage, the great majority will just deal with it. We non-smokers allow breaks quite liberally for our smoking friends. Hell, many times I go to the outdoor smoking area with them, to continue our conversation, just staying upwind. It all works out.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Thank you for the feedback Dustin. Its good to hear that. We made a very conscious effort about the smoke for years. We installed smoke eaters 15 years ago and have maintained them regularly. We also make a strong effort to clean the walls and carpet whenever we can. The ventilation fan helped out too sometimes. Its good to know it made a noticeable improvement.

I do believe MOST people will adjust. I am sure there will be a minimal amount of people who's addiction is so strong that will not be able to transition to a smoke free place. But in a few years when ALL places will be smoke free, those customers would be lost anyways. The exemptions will expire in a few years and all the controversy will be gone...well prolly not. The arguments will always be there with a small group I guess.

I think when people start to notice that the tables play better due to cleaner cloth that may increase the serious players pool time to offset some losses.

It will be a year of changes and experimentation to find out what works best for us. I am sure I will learn a lot from this.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sincerely hope your numbers stay the same or improve, best of luck to you. Are very smart and I'm sure will figure out a way to make it work,

Best
Eric:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A comment on the smell... In PA the smoking ban took hold a few years ago. I'd estimate it took a full year, and some places even two or three, for the smoke smell to be gone from the rooms. By gone, I mean when you got home, you clothes, hair, and body, didn't stink.

Right now in your room, the smokers can't smoke, yet the non-smokers will still stink when they get home. If you can shorten this time period (which can take several years if you do nothing), this will benefit you non-smoking clientele much sooner. Its nice to hear you are already on this path with the cleaning.

Also watch out for your employees. At one place I frequented, they would allow their friends to smoke late at night after the bans. This made the smell linger much longer, and of course carries penalties if caught.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Keep up the good work Craig,

I bought some spray smoke odor eater and sprayed every night after closing and before I went home, took all the smells away.
It took a while for my business to come back after Pa went smoke free.
Now people just need jobs to help the economy and have spending money.

Good luck

highrun55

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
highrun,

are you talking about the Ozium? That works good. I am using OUST right now. Any other suggestions for smoke smell?

mjlil81

Smoke eaters

Hey,

Glad to hear you all are smoke free & it will help with the family & female business.

Just wondering if anyone wants to sell their smoke eaters now that you don't neem them anymore.

We still need them in Rolla

Let me know if you hear anything

Mike L

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I know we are planning on keeping the smoke eaters for now. Dust is still a huge problem with a huge room and they help keep the dust down. Maybe further down the road we will sell them.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you decide to paint any of your surfaces I'd highly reccomend a first cost of oil based kilz. I have painted for more than 35 years professionally and have seen smoke damage that was really bad. The oil based kilz was the only primer that I found to seal back the smoke odor and stain permanently. After it is fully dried apply a minimum of two coats of good quality interior semi gloss acrylic latex paint. The semi gloss will be washable and more durable than a lower gloss or a flat. There is no money saved by buying cheap paint it's a labor intensive job. PM me if I can ever give any advice.. You'll enjoy the smoke free environment and I bet in time business will pick up. There are way more non smokers than smokers.
Dan

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Thank you Quesports. I have already started the painting process and did use KILZ before I painted. Also had to scrub the walls with a mix of bleach and ammonia. T'was fun. Still debating the whole ceiling painting tho. That will NOT be fun.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Quesports. I have already started the painting process and did use KILZ before I painted. Also had to scrub the walls with a mix of bleach and ammonia. T'was fun. Still debating the whole ceiling painting tho. That will NOT be fun.

I think you must be kidding me when you said you mixed bleach & ammonia!! If you did that you'd be in some serious trouble. Here is some info about it just in case!!

Because the giant warning on the bottle in bright red print with a skull and cross bones isn't enough, hundreds of people are wheeled into emergency rooms every year after mixing a deadly combination of ammonia and bleach- a corrosive concoction that can cause the lungs to fill with liquid.

Household bleach is 5% sodium hypochlorite. Mix it with ammonia and mono- and di-chloramines are formed. These nasty fellows will cause lovely symptoms such as respiratory tract irritation, tearing, and nausea. To make things better, add water to get hydrochloric acid and nascent oxygen- also known as chlorine gas, the chemical weapon of choice of Nazi Germany in World War II- for the added bonus of drowning in your own fluids!

I can tell you many horror stories associated with painting accidents because workers were not properly trained. Two painters blew themselves up and died using kilz in a closed room when the gas fired wall heater ignited. Two others were eloctrocuted walking an extension ladder into a power line. I have read so many accident reports and all have many similarities. Most are caused by a lack of training...
Sadly now we see many hispanic men being injured in construction accidents and many of them are hurt because of exhaustion, (they usually work two jobs to make ends meet) add to that many have severly limited english skills making training very difficult.

Anyhow I have gotten carried away!!!
Congrats to you for working so hard to clean up and make a good environment for you, your customers and your employees!!!
If I'm ever down near St Louis I'll look you up!
Dan

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Actually I tried different cleaning methods using both. But I didnt just add ammonia and bleach together. White things I used some bleach to try and get the yellow out. Plaster I used some pine sol ammonia cleaner to scrub the residue off the walls... Will make sure I keep those seperate tho. I did keep using the same rags and buckets. Prolly should have rinsed them out better tho...lol. Live and learn.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Craig, When I was a kid we used to add white lead paste to our paint when we were painting the old fishing boats in Gloucester. It came in a quart can and we would scoop it out and add a quart to a five gallon bucket of marine formula paint.. Like you said live & learn; but be carefull when you mix chemicals or around any solvent based products. I am lucky to have married a chemical formulation scientist and she keeps me out of trouble, most of the time!!

Itsnotme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other suggestions for smoke smell?
Buy a carbon filter, ducting and a blower fan from your local hydroponics shop. Carbon filters work wonders on smoke and other various smells... Also, activated carbon absorbs and cleans the air as it passes through. A little pricy, but worth every penny...

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Actually pondering if I want to repaint our drop ceiling. It will be a year long project I am sure. But the smoke stains really stand out now that the walls are painted.