What's your Shot??

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't do the table but will try and describe my shot. I would set up for the 5 ball to play a typical 3 rail position shot through the center of the table.

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure I could play that table either, but I would come off the rail above the four ( using a small amount of follow, after making it in the side) to get even with the five (across the table, 1 diamond down from the top rail). Shoot the 5 in the corner using a small amount of draw, maybe 1 tip, depending on exactly where the cue ends up after the 4.

I believe this would cause the cue to slide down table and break out the 6-7. Now...getting a leave on the 6 is another challenge all together (and why I'm not sure i could finish out this table)

John

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Since we are playing the ghost, we can't choose to cut the 4B to the side rail (just below the side) & leave our opponent on a 4B-8B combo...CB frozen to the end rail.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't much care for the two rail breakout, as the cue ball can carom off either the six or the seven into a scratch, and the standard three railer is blocked by the nine.

My choice would be to get the angle on the five that would allow me to draw the cue ball straight up the long rail, hitting one or even zero rails on my way to the six and seven.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to shoot it from position A, but would probably go with B coz there is greater margin for error.

How would I know how to hit it? Years of success and failure;)

Seriously though, A is a pure feel shot, with L) spin; B is about the maximum end of where CB goes coming out of that corner.

I think B has a far lower chance of a workable shot on the 6, but it is a much better chance at touching the cluster.

CueTable Help

Last edited:
Reactions: Siz

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O.K., that's one way. But.... how do you KNOW you would go through the center of the table, or would you just guesstimate it??

Actually it is one of my practice shots. My angle would determine how I would play it but typically 1/2 tip below center with a tip of right with the shot I am thinking of. My 1st rail target is around a ball past the center diamond short rail. That should bring me just under the 7 which would reduce the risk of me getting hooked behind the 7 while not having to over power the shot.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you KNOW what that angle is, and how do you know how to aim it without missing them??

For me it's pretty much just feel. I visualize the angle, determine how to hit the cue ball and that's pretty much it. Do you use some type of system for judging shots like this?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'd like to shoot it from position A, but would probably go with B coz there is greater margin for error.

How would I know how to hit it? Years of success and failure;)

Seriously though, A is a pure feel shot, with L) spin; B is about the maximum end of where CB goes coming out of that corner.

I think B has a far lower chance of a workable shot on the 6, but it is a much better chance at touching the cluster.

CueTable Help

I like position 'A' on this, BB.
Low with lots of left..shoot for the rail/seven hole....almost every hit
gives you a shot.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I feel that the two rail route I took, or the draw off the 5 are about equal. Equal when you know HOW to aim them. I went the 2 rail route, it went as shown, the cb came in just behind the 7, lightly bumped it out, and the cb ended up just off the rail for a duck on the 6. Yes, I will be the first to admit that there was a certain amount of luck involved, but it was also planned luck.

This is what I did- I first decided on the two rail route, I'll get into why in the next post. Looking at the diagram, you know see an added 3 ball, 10 ball, and 1 ball. The one is the spot I want to hit by the 7. The 3 ball obviously is the ghost ball. The ten ball lies as close as I can guess to halfway on the line between the spot on the rail I want to hit by the 7, which is the 1 ball, and the ghost ball. I then take that spot, (the 10 ball) and find the angle with my cue to the pocket I want to go around. I then transfer that angle with my cue to come through the ghost ball, and see just where that hits the rail. I mark that spot in my mind.

Next, I look at the tangent line off the 5 ball, and see just where that hits the rail. In this case, they happen to be the same spot! Makes everything easier! If they weren't the same spot, I would now know if I needed draw or follow to hit the "10 ball" spot. That spot is where I want the cb to hit the rail.

Now, on paper, this works great. Different tables, different conditions, can change it up a little. But, the system works pretty accurately, and gives you something to actually aim for instead of just guessing. In my case, it just so happened to work out perfectly this time. It could just as well of hit the 7 instead of the rail, and I might even of got hooked.

This system, once you are used to it, only takes seconds to do. And, it gives you a definite aim point instead of just a guess that might be clouded at the moment by pressure in the game.

CueTable Help

Your red line ignores the running english you'll get - whether you want it or not - as the CB comes off the first rail. If your CB follow the first two segments of that red line you drew - the one from the 5 to the rail, and the one from the first rail to the second - then the third segment would point either to the corner pocket, or maybe even long to the end rail.

-Andrew

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
How would I know? Well, in the opening scenes of the Last Dragon when the student is going through his martial art practice routine, his master was shooting arrows at him to which the student would chop before they hit him. The arrows had a red band on them.

The master shot one arrow with a blue band to which the student caught the arrow instead of breaking it.

The master asked of the student "How did you know that was the blue arrow?"

The student replied " I do not know how I knew, I just knew."

The master replied " I can not teach you no more. You have reached the highest level....to know without knowing."

So, you just have to know what to do based on hours, hours and hours of practice with some gut instincts thrown in to boot.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I still like the 0 or 1-rail into the 7B (your CB position "A") that I diagramed above.

If you come into the 7B from the 2-rail route, you are hitting the 7B along the line formed by the 6B & 7B, which will tend to hook you behind the 7B (minimized movement of the 7B & CB) & send the 6B away.

If you hit it the way I diagramed, you will be hitting the 7B such that it will tangent off the 6B & cause both balls to separate & move away from the CB…maximum separation of all balls involved = less hooks = open clusters.