THANK YOU, Ken_4Fun

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4Fun sent me a vintage video of Efren Reyes against Keith McCready at Ceasars in the '80s era. It is the Brunswick World Open 9-Ball Championship. Efren had only been in the States for 3 years at the time of this tournament. Reyes was playing with a cue stick that cost $15. Keith said "It's like a nightmare" to Efren when he made a good shot.

I don't have very many pictures or videos of Keith, and this is a real treasure. We both appreciate it so much.

The guy on the rail is a very young Dennis Hatch, not our John Brumback, as was thought earlier. Billy Igel is sitting next to Dennis Hatch. Dennis is so young here. Must have been a teenager.

I think Billy Incardona is also in the audience. There's quite a few familiar faces: Jim Rempe, a young Johnny Archer, New York Blackie, Joe Kerr, Tony Ellin, Hal Mix, Richie Ambrose, Grady Mathews, Freddy Garino [ph].

Barry Thompkins [ph], who supposedly does boxing today, and Steve Mizerak were commentators on this ESPN-televised match.

Efren wins the first game, and then Keith gets loose as a goose and pulls out ahead. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the match yet, but Keith mades a hell of a left-handed shot on the end to win it.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ken, for your very generous gift. There aren't many of these vintage videos in existence. :cool:

Last edited:

John Brumback

Silver Member
Ken_4Fun sent me a vintage video of Efren Reyes against Keith McCready at Ceasars in the '80s era. It is the Brunswick World Open 9-Ball Championship. Efren had only been in the States for 3 years at the time of this tournament. Reyes was playing with a cue stick that cost $15. Keith said "It's like a nightmare" to Efren when he made a good shot.

I don't have very many pictures or videos of Keith, and this is a real treasure. We both appreciate it so much.

The guy on the rail is a very young Dennis Hatch, not our John Brumback, as was thought earlier. Billy Igel is sitting next to Dennis Hatch. Dennis is so young here. Must have been a teenager.

I think Billy Incardona is also in the audience. There's quite a few familiar faces: Jim, Rempe, Joe Kerr, Tony Ellin, Hal Mix, Richie Ambrose, Grady Mathews, Freddy Garino [ph].

I would love to know who is commentating. Barry Thompkins [ph], who supposedly does boxing today, and somebody else that we're still trying to figure out who it was.

Efren wins the first game, and then Keith gets loose as a goose and pulls out ahead. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the match yet, but Keith mades a hell of a left-handed shot on the end to win it.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ken, for your very generous gift. There aren't many of these vintage videos in existence. :cool:

That Ken,Is a heck of a good guy,for sure.(Well he Is from my home st,KY)I got a little care package too.ha.John B.

Ken, you didn't tell them who sent that video to you!:angry: should be thank you Lawman888:thumbup:

In all seriousness I have been harboring that video for years. It also has the last match Jean Balukas ever played on tape and parts of the Fiat challenge with Mizerak and Steve Davis playing the straight pool portion.

Some of Keiths lines are priceless

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
OK, with all that other stuff too, I'l up it to PPUUURRTTTYY PPPLLLEEEAASSSSEEE!!!

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

I think Billy Incardona is also in the audience. There's quite a few familiar faces: Jim Rempe, a young Johnny Archer, New York Blackie, Joe Kerr, Tony Ellin, Hal Mix, Richie Ambrose, Grady Mathews, Freddy Garino [ph].

Barry Thompkins [ph], who supposedly does boxing today, and Steve Mizerak were commentators on this ESPN-televised match.

I call BS on the above item i have marked in red.... The WPA didn't have it's first tournament until 1990... There were no world championships prior to that date

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
C'mon Jen, quit danglin' the carrot.........

Maniac (whose game IS a nightmare :eek:)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
... Keith said "It's like a nightmare" to Efren when he made a good shot...

Did that video pre-date the COM which came out in '86? In other words, is there a back story of how that line got in the movie? :grin:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JAM -

Later on that DVD, there is video of Keith McCready in the ugliest shirt on the planet in a gambling match. He might have been a great poolplayer but his selection of clothes is amazing!

During that match, BEHIND THAT GAMBLING MATCH ON THE NEXT TABLE, MAY BE the YOUNG, VERY YOUNG, John Brumback at 90 pounds. He thinks not, but I still think it is.

JAM - KEEPING WATCHING that video there's more!

LOL

Ken

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I call BS on the above item i have marked in red.... The WPA didn't have it's first tournament until 1990... There were no world championships prior to that date

The WPA was formed in 1987.....
...pool was being played long before that.
A lot of world champions existed before 1987..imo

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the match yet, but Keith mades a hell of a left-handed shot on the end to win it.

I think you spoiled it Jam

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you spoiled it Jam

Not really. The best part is the entire match is what happens during the match. Some of the shots made were incredible by both players, and then there was the colloquy. Of course, I'm a little prejudiced in that department. :p

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM -

Later on that DVD, there is video of Keith McCready in the ugliest shirt on the planet in a gambling match. He might have been a great poolplayer but his selection of clothes is amazing!

During that match, BEHIND THAT GAMBLING MATCH ON THE NEXT TABLE, MAY BE the YOUNG, VERY YOUNG, John Brumback at 90 pounds. He thinks not, but I still think it is.

JAM - KEEPING WATCHING that video there's more!

LOL

Ken

I didn't have time to watch the whole match yet, but I did fast-forward to that part.

The only thing I can say is OMG! :yikes:

I will try to find out who that 90-pound young'n is and then report back in this thread. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon Jen, quit danglin' the carrot.........

Maniac (whose game IS a nightmare :eek:)

Tee-hee. I'm not at liberty to publish the DVD on YouTube, as it was a gift. The quality is not perfect, but for me, just seeing Keith dressed up in shiny black leather shoes, tuxedo pants, a beautiful long-sleeved crisp white shirt with a baby-blue bowtie, well, that was priceless. My Keith is so handsome! :wub:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken, you didn't tell them who sent that video to you!:angry: should be thank you Lawman888:thumbup:

In all seriousness I have been harboring that video for years. It also has the last match Jean Balukas ever played on tape and parts of the Fiat challenge with Mizerak and Steve Davis playing the straight pool portion.

Some of Keiths lines are priceless

Thank you, Lawman888. That vintage video is absolutely brilliant. I will always cherish it.

I haven't had a chance to check out Jean's match yet. Steve Mizerak and Steve Davis are the first match, but according to Keith, he said that it was Steve Mizerak and Bobby Tompkins, a well-known boxing broadcaster today, who were commentating during his match.

Bobby Tompkins said Keith "has a personality made for TV." ;)

How about that Dennis Hatch sitting on the rail! He was so young in that video.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Tee-hee. I'm not at liberty to publish the DVD on YouTube, as it was a gift. The quality is not perfect, but for me, just seeing Keith dressed up in shiny black leather shoes, tuxedo pants, a beautiful long-sleeved crisp white shirt with a baby-blue bowtie, well, that was priceless. My Keith is so handsome! :wub:

Did Keith hit the pool hall on his way home from the prom or something? :grin:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Keith hit the pool hall on his way home from the prom or something? :grin:

Oh, man, he's so handsome in that outfit. I'm going to see if I can snap a still shot of him and Efren in their attire. Both of them have baby-blue bowties on. LOL

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
This thread points out that videos DO exist from yesteryear. We all assume that they don't exist and that we (and future generations) will never get to see these hallowed players in action. They are in someone's closet, some television archive, some audience member's attic...

Yet here it is...a series of videos that could be distributed on youtube (or other sharing site) to preserve the golden era of our sport. These videos document moments in the careers of several legendary players.

Efren barely in his 30's?!?!
Keith in "action"?!?!
Miz vs Davis 14.1?!?!?
Jean's last professional match?!?!?

I would feel a duty to preserve this information...long-forgotten ESPN privileges be damned. JMHO