LED Flat Panels - the next generation in lighting

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
This is the newest thing in pool lighting, it looks like a whiteboard or something, but really it's a light...

LEDpanel.jpg

It's only 1/2" thick, weighs about 18lbs, and only draws 84W of power, but it gives off 4500 Lumens of pure, white light...

image1.jpeg

The room owner has hung them using thin aircraft cable, which gives them the appearance of just floating in mid air (very cool), but they can be hung in a variety of ways, and they fit into your standard tbar drop ceilings as well. They can also be hung way higher than standard lights, because they give off so much light.

image.jpeg

Here's a ball sitting at the centre of the table, very clear edges, very soft shadow, and tons of pure light...

centertable.jpg

Oh and by the way each light panel is estimated to last more than 50,000 hours. For a room open say 18 hours a day, that's about 8 YEARS of uninterrupted use, and that's presuming you have your table lights on at all times.

Personally I was so impressed by their light output that I started repping them for the company (I posted a thread here, in the Wanted/ForSale forum, if you want more info there's a discussion there, or you can PM me here or email at brian_butler@hotmail..com. We've done a few quotes for some pool rooms and found that converting to LED, even just over the pool tables themselves, will save serious money on power bills. For the pool room we quoted on Friday with 14 9foot tables, converting to LED panels for lighting would save better than $400/month on power.

This, I think, is the future of pool lighting. If you're interested, send me a PM with the number of tables in your room and the sizes, and if possible include the types of lights you have now and the amount you are paying in kilowatts in your area and we can put together a quote that includes the estimated power savings.

Businesses around the world are moving to LED for their lighting, cities are going to it for streetlights, car manufacturers are going to it for headlights and taillights. Why? Because it's simply better, in every respect.

nbkvig2

Pool Hall Owner
Subscribed. We're currently using LED panels already but the design is not as efficient and low key. This would be a good replacement opportunity down the road. :thumbup:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Here's another sample pic of a home table...

tableone.jpeg

And here are a couple of images of the 1x4 panel over a diamond bar table. Works very well in the commercial environment...

bartable3.jpg

bartable2.jpg

bartable1.jpg

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Looks much brighter in the center

Mostly just how the camera picks it up. I mean, obviously it's going to be brighter in the center because that's where the light actually is, but it's not so much that the human eye can see a marked difference. In the first picture you can even see there are other tables around it with traditional lighting, the light coverage is very similar, as picked up by the camera anyway.

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
what is the defuser just white plastic?

Correct. Gives off great light though without much glare at all. So far I've sold a few dozen to home table buyers and not a single negative comment. They're all quite thrilled.

derangedhermit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look at the sharp-edged, slanted shadow of the 1-ball on the Diamond 7' table in the post of 10/06 above. That tells me how evenly the table is, or is not, lit.

It would be difficult to design a 4' (?) light to come close to evenly lighting a 7' table from 3'-4' away. It's much easier to use a light that's about as long as the table (or a series of lights about as wide as the table, installed parallel to the short rails).

The light panel would be much better if it was 7', 8', or 9', according to the size table, and hung higher than the 36"-42" that these appear to be above the table surface. Making it narrower could keep the cost down.

Two of these units hung end-to-end over an 8' table, flush-mount to an 8' ceiling (about 5 1/2' above the table surface), would probably provide quite a nice light.

Three of them hung crosswise with space between them, about 5'-6' over a 9' table, would probably provide a nice light also.

Last edited:

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Look at the sharp-edged, slanted shadow of the 1-ball on the Diamond 7' table in the post of 10/06 above. That tells me how evenly the table is, or is not, lit.

It would be difficult to design a 4' (?) light to come close to evenly lighting a 7' table from 3'-4' away. It's much easier to use a light that's about as long as the table (or a series of lights about as wide as the table, installed parallel to the short rails).

The light panel would be much better if it was 7', 8', or 9', according to the size table, and hung higher than the 36"-42" that these appear to be above the table surface. Making it narrower could keep the cost down.

Two of these units hung end-to-end over an 8' table, flush-mount to an 8' ceiling (about 5 1/2' above the table surface), would probably provide quite a nice light.

Three of them hung crosswise with space between them, about 5'-6' over a 9' table, would probably provide a nice light also.

It's all about cost, though. This is a very low-cost solution that uses very little power and can provide very adequate light for 7', 8', and 9' tables (for as long at 10 years with no maintenance!) and it works very well. It's also a very thin and unobtrusive light that takes up hardly any space over the table and doesn't block sight lines to the rest of the room and tv's and so forth. The room owner is quite happy with it.

You can always go bigger and better, but then you're just looking at more and more cost. It's all about trade offs.

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
Is it just me? This Sales Pitch thread has been around for almost a year and no price has ever been posted and no response to emails. This is BS .... How much are they?

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Is it just me? This Sales Pitch thread has been around for almost a year and no price has ever been posted and no response to emails. This is BS .... How much are they?

PM sent. Sorry for the delay, I guess I should use the 'subscribe' feature.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

He listed an updated price on the post he referenced in the WTB/WTS section.
UPDATE ON PRICING: I recently cut out one of the middlemen involved in obtaining these lights. From now on I can offer 2x4 lights for $300, plus shipping, and the 1x4 or 2x2 lights for $200 plus shipping, with average shipping costs for the larger panel being $80-100 and for the smaller being $50-60. This is a great deal.

I've been a DJ for over 30 years. Since DJ Lighting (and so much of all lighting) went LED they're basically all coming out of China. One of my dear friends has several direct pipelines to China for lighting. The importer/retailer has certain costs and risks to deal with, so with that in mind his prices for today are reasonable. That being said, and I don't want to blow up anyone's spot but once there are a few people selling these the price point will drop. -Z-

Last edited: