Over 80

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who do you think are the best pool players in the US over 80 years old right now?
9 ball or one pocket, are the ones I really care about .
If you know a 3 cushion or 1 rail or something , feel free to list them but no one under about 78 please.
I have something in mind, not sure if it is viable.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If your above ground at 80 or longer your doing just fine i believe

Bless those that can still play any game of billiards

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ray Martin has to be at or near the top of the list. I ran into him a few weeks ago in NC and I'm pretty sure he said he's over 80 now.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talked to several that i thought were 80,looked every bit that old but none were even 70. Pool is tough on old roadplayers.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still like Kenny McCoy in Columbus ;)

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

He still plays pretty good , nothing like he used to.
I remember him in the late 60s early 70s , not missing a ball for hours it seemed.
Especially the nine ball.
He just couldn't bring his "A" game against a big name, for some reason.
I remember road men that came through over the years that beat him, and if they had hung around for a week and he got comfortable with them, he could give them the 8 ball, and rob them.
Lots more to pool than making balls.

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he does. I was in there Sat and a guy says Kenny can you make this ball (tough back cut)? He doesn't have his coat off. Picks up the guys cue asks him which pocket the points to where he wants it and he fires it in lol.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ray Martin has to be at or near the top of the list. I ran into him a few weeks ago in NC and I'm pretty sure he said he's over 80 now.

When Ray beat Ortmann in a match at the 2011 World 14.1 event, reports said he was 76. So if that was correct, I think he'll turn 84 this coming February.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Ray beat Ortmann in a match at the 2011 World 14.1 event, reports said he was 76. So if that was correct, I think he'll turn 84 this coming February.

That sounds about right. We actually talked about our ages and how old I was when we first met in Clearwater, but for the life of me I can remember what was said. By the time I’m his age I will need to have my address pinned to my shirt so I can make it home.

Ray’s still hitting balls and giving lessons a few times a week so i would think he’d be the favorite.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
That sounds about right. We actually talked about our ages and how old I was when we first met in Clearwater, but for the life of me I can remember what was said. By the time I’m his age I will need to have my address pinned to my shirt so I can make it home.

Ray’s still hitting balls and giving lessons a few times a week so i would think he’d be the favorite.

I would love to know how Ray shoots a shot whether he is down on the cue like the pros or way up taller like the rest of us old guys. My back can not get down that low for long.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, what a subject! Trying to think of a player who still played top flight at the age of 80. One that comes to mind is the great George Rood of Ohio.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, what a subject! Trying to think of a player who still played top flight at the age of 80. One that comes to mind is the great George Rood of Ohio.

Jimmy Moore may have been the best ever over 80, still running hundreds daily and kicking ass for money! I'd put Rood second to him in that regard.
P.S. Jr. Goff played pool regularly into his 90's (he would be 93 now) and was still gambling at it. And don't forget Marshall Carpenter, still active well into his 80's. He's been in action at DCC in the last few years too!

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Moore may have been the best ever over 80, still running hundreds daily and kicking ass for money! I'd put Rood second to him in that regard.
P.S. Jr. Goff played pool regularly into his 90's (he would be 93 now) and was still gambling at it. And don't forget Marshall Carpenter, still active well into his 80's. He's been in action at DCC in the last few years too!

Squirrel would have been one of the first I thought of!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Don Feeney play last summer, he still looked pretty good.
Not sure if’ he’s 80, looked more like 65. He’s been around a long time

Last edited: