Wrap materials

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I know a guy who rewrapped his cue with clear nylon fishing line. It's kind of a translucent green in color and to me is a bit slick, but he likes the way it feels/plays.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I used to live on an island with a guy named Gilligan and a bunch of other people. There was a guy who we just called professor that made a pool table out of materials on the island. Never ceased to amaze me that he could build a pool table but he couldn't fix a 2 foot hole in a boat. Anyway, we had bamboo pool cues and they had palm tree wraps on them.
Quite nice actually.
Just kidding of course.
If you're Scottish or Irish, the thought of using a clan Tartan crossed my mind. I guess the cloth might be easy to put on but it would have to be cleared over.
The Tartan material comes in different gauges.
I have Stewart blood, and our winters are too cold to wear a kilt without farmer johns underneath.

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guy I know fishing line is what they first used to wrap the cues.

This is true however fishing line used to be made of linen. In the late 70's they changed the material that fishing line was made from flax or cotton linen to Dacron which is a polyester which is great for fishing lines as it doesn't rot but it is horrible for a wrap on a cue.

Dick

Last edited:

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I have seen electrical tape a few times & even duct tape a time or two. A local player used the duct tape on his Bud Light cue & he had a case that said "My First Cue"...LOL!!! Don't forget the current World Barbox 8-ball champion who prefers tennis racket handle wrap.:wink:

MINDSEYE153

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One customer thought my price to re-wrap his cue was unreasonable,
so I told him that it wasn't that hard to do, and he could do it himself.
Just go to the local bakery and ask for some string, then wind it on, not hard at all.

He did!

One guy I know uses bicycle handle bar tape, it's actually pretty nice,
another loves the feel of bicycle tube, he uses it on all his cue's.

Paul
<@>

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I never thought of fishing line for a wrap.

The original "Irish linen" wraps that were used by most all cue makers including Gus and George, Are either #9 or # 12 linen fishing line. The most common one used was from the "Cortland line company" #9 white with green spec.

Ashaway brand fishing line was also commonly used. It is almost always mistakenly referred to as "an original Cortland wrap" There are many cues with solid color linen wraps in existence as well. Solid green is awesome, the whitish cream is cool, and solid brown is very rare to see but is/was really really nice.

Most of these company's either went out of business or went to Nylon or Dacron exclusively, in the late seventies.

Silk fishing line is also found on some cues here and there. I had an early Viking with an amazing black silk wrap. It had a very nice feel. super soft but grabby enough to not feel overly slick.

The wrap found on Lazerrus's Adam cue here is a vinyl product. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=177389 these actually have a great feel to them believe it or not.

Last edited:

deadstroke13

The Banker
Silver Member
One customer thought my price to re-wrap his cue was unreasonable,
so I told him that it wasn't that hard to do, and he could do it himself.
Just go to the local bakery and ask for some string, then wind it on, not hard at all.

He did!

One guy I know uses bicycle handle bar tape, it's actually pretty nice,
another loves the feel of bicycle tube, he uses it on all his cue's.

Paul
<@>

I never have thought of bicycle tube. Thinks to himself " I have a spare bicycle in the shed.