soft case comparison mezz mz48t and black leather case

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.gameroomsusa.com/lc3.html
http://www.mezzcues.us/gear/cuecase/mz-48/color.html

i want to say it's a silver fox case or maybe a lucasi case but i see these around a lot. they're pretty popular and imo a great case for the money.

my tastes in cases has changed a lot from a few years ago. i used to own an instroke and i loved it. i still love those cases but after a while the weight starts to wear on you. the cases are built like a tank and you'd basically have to try to damage your cues once you put 'em inside. but like i said the weight started to get to me.

i got one of the leather cases (the one in the link) for christmas and honestly i couldn't be happier with it. the case holds everything i need easily and is extremely comfortable to carry. i've had anywhere form 1 but 1 shaft to 6 cues and like 10 shafts. it was a little cramped but it still held everything

i got a chance to pick up one of the mezz cases because i read sarah rousey's blog about once a week. after she got sponsored by mezz i hit her up and she put me in touch with caroline pao who made getting the case possible. the cases aren't sold state side yet so she had to special order it form japan for me.

the differences in the cases are pretty small but i really dig the little tweeks to the design that mezz did. both cases are designed for 2 buts 4 shafts but the mezz case seems to be a little smaller and holds the cues a little tighter imo. they added a way to lock the case
CIMG0404-1.jpg

and they added a handle so you don't have to use the shoulder strap if you don't feel like it
CIMG0406-1.jpg

and they've made the flaps that cover the sleeves a little longer. i don't like this because you kind of have to open the case all the way to get your cues out
CIMG0405.jpg

the jump cue pouch is way bigger. i use a j/b so that doesn't really mean anything to me but i still thought it was a little better
CIMG0403-2.jpg

the strap on the leather case is way cooler because it's 1 leather and 2 covered in an imitation fur that's real soft on your shoulder. i'm planning on throwing that strap on the mezz case

anyway take this review/comparison for what it's worth to you. and remember "DON'T TRUST THE FUZ!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz case

Very nice and informative review. I was watching the TAR stream this weekend and they were giving kudos to these Mezz soft cases. I believe they said the crew from Mezz will probably have a few for sale in Vegas. Extremely reasonably priced as well. I'd pick one up for storing cues but then I'd have to buy cues to put into it! :grin:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The leather one you linked is indeed a Lucasi, LC-3. BTW, your OP says they are both 2x4's but I believe they are both 4x8's.

Sterling also makes a line of similar soft cases: Sterling Angora Cases

They're near the bottom of the linked page.

Last edited:

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucasi

I have a Lucasi.And I can say it's a great case for the money.As far as soft case's go it's very high on my list.It's very similar to a silver fox.If you picked one up I'd say you can't go wrong.IMO.I really like mine.It offers a lot of flexibility.I have to give it a big :thumbup:

J.R.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have a Lucasi.And I can say it's a great case for the money.As far as soft case's go it's very high on my list.It's very similar to a silver fox.If you picked one up I'd say you can't go wrong.IMO.I really like mine.It offers a lot of flexibility.I have to give it a big :thumbup:

J.R.

The Silver Fox is supposed to be a nice case, but what I don't like about it is I believe the cues on each side of the case are stacked on top of each other, so you have to fold out the sleeve containing the cue on top to get to the one beneath it. With the Lucasi all the cues are right there when you open the case. With the Lucasi it is easier to access the cues from the top without having to lay the case down on something and unzip it all the way.

S

skip

I own an use the black case pictured. It protects well an is very lite. An I think it looks cool. Skip :thumbup:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I cut out all the sleeves and put in hard case tubes. I can carry as many or as few as I want with lots of storage for stuff and lite weight. I usually carry 2x3 cues and my stuff including a book or two and a couple towels.. which are nice to have. Great protection and great convenience.

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
i have the black mezz 4x8. great case, the best so far for me on soft cases. i also have the sterling angora. it could be better if it were longer. my JP's are protruding and it's hard to close the zipper. if it were as long as the mezz, i might not have bought the mezz as the sterling build is quite okay.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
i have the black mezz 4x8. great case, the best so far for me on soft cases. i also have the sterling angora. it could be better if it were longer. my JP's are protruding and it's hard to close the zipper. if it were as long as the mezz, i might not have bought the mezz as the sterling build is quite okay.

Were can you get that kind of cases .. ???

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The only drawback to the Lucasi is that neither of the exterior pockets are long enough to accept a jump butt or cue extender. But since the inside is so roomy you can really just throw a jump butt or extension inside when you zip 'er up.

evanandpeaches

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really starting to like the butterfly style cases because of the ease of use and versatility of them. I cant carry an 18" hager extension in any other case. I like them both but really want one of JB's butterflys (maybe my present when I graduate nursing school.) Nice review thanks.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchased a Lucasi about 2 months ago and love it. Looks good and most important its light weight with a wide shoulder strap. Previous poster is correct that the zip pockets are not big enough for extensions but there is so much room inside its not an issue for me.
I carry a Jump Cue, Break Cue, Playing cue with 2 shafts, and a extension for that and still have room. I throw 2 Towels on the inside and have room in the zip pockets for my glasses and other items. A great buy for 65.00.

mastertarium

Registered
i want to buy one of those Mezz softcases.

But i dont know how tight the butts and shafts sitting in those case?

greez from munich!

mastertarium