Any pro plays with 13mm shaft?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I encourage it. Maybe it's not as hard for others as it is for you.

pj
chgo

Well, come on over where I am in Taiwan and convince some of these world beaters that you know more about pool than they do.

And, bring your wimpy 9mm shaft with you to show them, at the table, how much better it is than a 13mm shaft. I love hearing laughing, whooping, and guffawing in Chinese.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in an objective sense i doubt it matters. what matters is consistency, sticking to your gun. some people i know change shafts like they're changing socks and it's not helping their game

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, come on over where I am in Taiwan and convince some of these world beaters that you know more about pool than they do.

And, bring your wimpy 9mm shaft with you to show them, at the table, how much better it is than a 13mm shaft. I love hearing laughing, whooping, and guffawing in Chinese.

Your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
13 mm and 4 ounces have been the gold standard for years, mostly now for resale purpose. If 13 mm and 4 ounces are so good to play with, why do most all top LD makers not make a 13 mm shaft and also try to keep them lighter weight. Whats Filler play with, or Wu? You see more 12.9 Revo shafts for sale than you do 12.4, you also see them for sale longer.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Whats Filler play with. ...?

Karl Boyes said yesterday that he spoke with Filler about that and Filler is using an 11.5 mm Predator Z shaft. He didn't say Z2 or Z3, but I don't know whether it is really the original Z version.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like those Chinese and Taiwanese players on US Open mostly use thick tips and short tapper... did anybody notice that?

It’s always kind of hard for me to tell just by looking, but Haitao Liu’s shaft looked to be 13mm easy. I play with a 13.25mm shaft and, to me, his looked bigger. Maybe he just has small hands.

......and get your minds out of the gutter people, lol.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do and thats all that matters

tenor.gif

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody who believes smaller tips produce more unwanted spin have a theory for why/how they do?

A smaller tip is just a larger tip with a tiny outer layer removed - the part that only contacts the CB when extreme spin is used. Otherwise they’re identical - and they contact the CB identically, even with stroke errors.

pj
chgo

P.S. Smaller pockets favor the stronger player - makes less difference to them.

I assume people think "smaller tip = smaller target" but idk if there's any merit to that. Seems right, but that means nothing lol.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Does anybody who believes smaller tips produce more unwanted spin have a theory for why/how they do?

A smaller tip is just a larger tip with a tiny outer layer removed - the part that only contacts the CB when extreme spin is used. Otherwise they’re identical - and they contact the CB identically, even with stroke errors.

I assume people think "smaller tip = smaller target" but idk if there's any merit to that. Seems right, but that means nothing lol.
What’s the “smaller target”?

pj
chgo

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
smaller target is that it may easier to visualize/find the center of the cueball. but smaller has its downfalls as well.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 1970's, 14mm was the pro standard, used by almost all the pro players. My first "custom" cue was built by Bill Stroud in 1975, and it came with two 14mm shafts, with no direction from me.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

A few years back, like maybe early 2000’s, Raphael Martinez was using a 14mm shaft.

There were a couple of Accu-Stats tapes. He played depressingly well with it, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

What’s the “smaller target”?

smaller target is that it may easier to visualize/find the center of the cueball.
In my experience that is easier with a smaller tip, but I'm not sure that's what buckets meant.

but smaller has its downfalls as well.
I haven't noticed any, and I use a very small tip (snooker size). What downfalls do you mean?

pj
chgo

JC

Coos Cues
I like a bigger shaft because it closes better in my bridge naturally. Too small makes me contort my fingers.

JC

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 1970's, 14mm was the pro standard, used by almost all the pro players. My first "custom" cue was built by Bill Stroud in 1975, and it came with two 14mm shafts, with no direction from me.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Every cue I ever had made or bought production, up until the last few years, I ordered with 14mm shafts.

I played with 14mm shafts for decades and still prefer the feel of them.

The only reason my recent cues were bought with 13mm, or less, diameters was that I was just buying the cues for the hell of it and I thought they could be resold faster without the thicker shafts.

I was playing with CJ Wiley's old Million Dollar Challenge McDermott cue a couple weekends ago and I was using a 13.25mm shaft that I had Schmelke make for it. It played damn good and I think I'll be breaking it out more often. I like the feel and action of a good hitting shaft and I prefer the thicker shafts because I use a closed bridge and that feels better to me.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it gets down to what you're used to and the feeling that goes with it. I played with a Black Dot shaft at around 12.3 mm for some years. Then I ordered 2 shafts, The Pro at 12.5mm and the Ultimate Weapon at 11.65mm. When I first tried the 2 new shafts I had some troubles with the 11.65mm UW. I liked the taper/diameter close to tip of that one better, though.

It took me much longer to get used to the 11.65mm. Now I only play with that one.

I believe it may be due to the optics aiming with the shaft. As everyone else has said, you see more of the cb with the thin shaft. However, I may also have gone further outside with the thin shaft. The optical illusion may be that a 13mm shaft is "extending" like 6.5mm to the outside of the actual spot you hit. The 11.65 extends only 5.8mm and thus it seems that you are not as close to the miscue limit. Obviously, this is not scientifically correct if you hit the exact same spot on the cb but I believe I may have gone further outside with the 11.65 and thus had more spin - but more miscues as well. If that makes any sense.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The optical illusion may be that a 13mm shaft is "extending" like 6.5mm to the outside of the actual spot you hit. The 11.65 extends only 5.8mm and thus it seems that you are not as close to the miscue limit.
At maximum spin you’re contacting the CB on the inner edge of the tip, so just about the entire tip width is outside that spot - in other words, the visual difference is twice as much as you imagine.

pj
chgo

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At maximum spin you’re contacting the CB on the inner edge of the tip, so just about the entire tip width is outside that spot - in other words, the visual difference is twice as much as you imagine.

pj
chgo

Yes, you're right there. Makes it even a bigger difference, optically. I guess this is what I had a problem with in the beginning changing to a thinner shaft.