OB Carbon Fiber - June 3rd

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah I saw it. They were looking for a name for the new shaft.

I think it should be called the boomerang.

:thumbup: 'cause you know they'll be getting a lot of them back.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here it is, on sale today

Attachments

• 3D071A81-5C97-4F54-BBC5-0AF37D58BF82.jpg
    3D071A81-5C97-4F54-BBC5-0AF37D58BF82.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 702

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yep.... and is it me or the pics. They don't look like carbon. Laminate wood maybe. But hey, I'm still new to carbon. Carbon was always black in my book.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no foam inside the carbon. It is a maple shaft with a carbon core. They say the shaft will be flexible as well. In my opinion that is a huge benefit. Personally I have never liked the look of the black carbon shafts so a wood outside is genius. I think the OB-1 carbon might be the way to go because the wood ferrule will take away the stiffness and give more feel comparable to a maple shaft. Needless to say I am very excited to try one of these shafts out.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz has done Carbon Cores for awhile... I'm wondering how close to a Mezz it will hit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no foam inside the carbon. It is a maple shaft with a carbon core. They say the shaft will be flexible as well. In my opinion that is a huge benefit. Personally I have never liked the look of the black carbon shafts so a wood outside is genius. I think the OB-1 carbon might be the way to go because the wood ferrule will take away the stiffness and give more feel comparable to a maple shaft. Needless to say I am very excited to try one of these shafts out.
They say its the stiffest shaft they've ever made. Wood ferrule is to reduce front-end mass. Putting it on a shaft this stiff will do nothing as far as flexibility. Neither will the wood over the CF core. It will affect the sound of the cue and of course how it feels in your fingers.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They say its the stiffest shaft they've ever made. Wood ferrule is to reduce front-end mass. Putting it on a shaft this stiff will do nothing as far as flexibility. Neither will the wood over the CF core. It will affect the sound of the cue and of course how it feels in your fingers.

they also say it has the lowest deflection
from ob page on the carbon shaft
ob carbon fiber cue.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it plays like a Revo but feels/sounds more like wood i'd really like to test drive one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In case anybody's wondering whether these are contradictory, they aren't. Very stiff shafts can also be very low squirt.

pj
chgo
Yep. For sure. I was amazed when i hit the 12.9Revo. Very stiff and next to nil in deflection. Carbon shines in this regard. Low mass yet stiff.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Cuetech was doing carbon core shafts years before the Revo came out. What makes this new OB shaft different? And are they claiming it is on par with the Revo and Cuetech CF? And more importantly, have they remedied their QC and customer service issues?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Cuetech was doing carbon core shafts years before the Revo came out. What makes this new OB shaft different? And are they claiming it is on par with the Revo and Cuetech CF? And more importantly, have they remedied their QC and customer service issues?
Cuetec did fiberglass over wood iirc. Don't recall any carbon-fiber cored CT cues, at least nothing using the carbon-fiber available today. We'll just have to wait for the reviews to start. As for CS? I've only had one instance where i had a problem(ferrule related) and they took care of me PRONTO. No complaints here. I've heard the stories but my deal was taken care of well.