CBSA - Questions?

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was directed to this forum a while ago by Scott S. & started reading the "CBSA: What A Joke" thread, but it turned into a Ontario tour name calling fiasco, so I packed it in.

Anyway Scott has recently sent to the CBSA Board some suggestions & constructive criticism that have arisen from this Forum. A lot of it deals with communication.

So, as a CBSA Board member for the last 10 years, here is what I would like to do. If anyone on this Forum would like to identify themselves & ask a question, it would be my pleasure to answer it. Some things I may not be able to go into in detail, & please accept that, but I am sure most things I can & will answer.

If you just want to talk - or type - stupid stuff, I have no time for that, & hopefully the Moderator will delete any foolish posts from this thread. I would perfer just the serious questions & concerns or thoughts. I just feel that it is time for someone other than Scott S. to address these concerns, although Scott does a great job in answering your threats & is very knowledgable in regards to CBSA.

In the last 10 years I have served as President for 7 of them & Treasurer for 1, so I do know what is happening with CBSA. In these 10 years I feel that CBSA has done a lot of good things for Canadian pool & some things that still need work, & are still being worked on.

Although I do not have a lot of time, I will find time to answer any fair question. Ball is now in your court, shoot away.

Last edited:

srs314

shooterville.com
Welcome

Hi Steve and welcome to the forums, I'm sure everyone will appreciate getting the information or sending their suggestions directly to you.

I hope everyone keeps this positive with constuctive questions or ideas to better pool in Canada. After all is that not why we're all here?

taxi man

Banned
If you don't like the show Steve,change the channel!

I think Scott has done a fine job ,and being a big part of shooterville I'm sure he keeps his comments unbias and polite.But for eveybody else it's my right to call it the way I see it.The game has been tainted the last few years in canada because of people running events lying,cheating,stealing and trying to manipulate the system.If you look at a tour like the 30k tour the finals never took place until a year later.That money in the finals was the players money,no money was added,money was stolen and not even a peep from the room owners ,just letting this circus go on because they made there money from it .See that sort of stuff is what should offend you.The game of pool draws out every piece of shit out from under there rocks to try to make a quick buck.Most people that play the game are ****ed in the head,so I guess that would explain the people running it.If pool players where tested for booze or drugs before a major event there would be like 7 people in the field including the ref.You'll never clean the game totally but hopefully people will show enough care that maybe the water will be drinkable one day.

Last edited:

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need a new channel!!!

Mr. Taxi Man,

You are a bitter man. But I will touch on some of your comments.

1) 30K Tour was a regional tour that had nothing to do with CBSA. So, not sure why you brought that up in a CBSA post. The Tour Director did inquire about spots for the Canadian Championships out of his tour a couple years back, but it did not materialize.

2) I totally disagree with your "lying,cheating,stealing and trying to manipulate the system" quote. I have ran tournaments in the Maritimes for many, many years, & have never done any of the above. And I mean never. Have you ever heard of the late Harold Danielson? He ran events for years in Western Canada, & trust me he was NEVER a lier, cheater, or thief, & I might add he was a past CBSA Board member. I can add people like Jim Wych, Darrell Canning, John White, Tony Retsinas, Ken Botham, etc.... that have ran cue sports events in different Canadian Provinces, with quite a bit of respect from the majority of the players. The only advise that I can give you is to stay away from the organizers that you do not trust. If you do not trust anyone in cue sports, then I suggest you join a bowling league or take up ping pong.

3) Another great quote from you..."If pool players where tested for booze or drugs before a major event there would be like 7 people in the field including the ref." Well Taxi Man, there are drunks & druggies in all facets of life, not only cue sports, & I betcha the percentage is no higher than bowlers or ping pong players, or doctors or lawyers. That is life.

I guess I touched on most of your points. Although I do not agree with you, I do know where you are coming from & do respect that. So all I ask in return is to respect my point of view. And I am staying on the same channel & hopefully some day you will see that it is becoming a better show.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

DelayedJuice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alberta Player

Hello Steve,

I played in the canadian 8 ball championships last year in toronto. I just want to say that i enjoyed my time and met some very nice people there.The pool hall is a nice place and the hotel was nice too. I thought the tournament was run very well and as a player i understood that the prize money wasn't going to be what people had hoped it would be. The prize money is not a big deal for me I just want to compete against the best in the country.

Only 2 questions for you sir:

1.I managed to get to the tournament last year by winning a qualifier and finding sponsors.I did not have a lot of money to get by with in toronto. I was just wondering if the CBSA is going to invest in a shuttle for the players? I understand that having no shuttle would be good if it were held in a conference room in a hotel. Although in Toronto the venue was quite a distance from the hotel and it was only manageable when 3 or 4 pool players all headed back at the same time to split a cab.

2.Will the Canadian Championships ever be held in any of the westerna provinces again? I understand there was an effort to have the event here in Edmonton a few years ago.

Last edited:

taxi man

Banned
Solve problems or make excuses,pick one!

To say I'm bitter is quite possible,but I would say disappointed is a better word.I guess pool has hit it's all time high when the only 2 sports you compare pool to is bowling and pingpong.Even those 2 sports have surpassed pool.Sponsorship for pool is like pulling teeth and it might be for the additude that since other sports have problems,that its easier to neglect the problem than to fix it.I never said anything about those people you mentioned on your thread,but now I will.The canadian 9 ball tour was a really good tour but had some major flaws that were never addressed.I believe when rules are made you have to standby them because if not then there not rules there just suggestions.On that tour you had to have your entry fee paid by a certain time or you don't get in ''period''.Now I spoke with Jim Wych who did the best job he could ,wanted to stick with that rule but had so much outside pressure to let certain ''big'' players join after the deadline that going against his better judgement, had to let them in.Great players ,good or bad players should abide by the same rules with no special treatment.Lets talk about room owners who are also part of the commitee that handicap the pool players then bet in the calcutta,I find that a conflict of interest,at least it was for Pete Rose.Anybody taking part in handicapping or running the event should not be betting on it.These problems are quite simple to solve and hopefully don't get swept under the rug like they usually do.I truly do love the game,but I think that is my biggest problem.Sometimes I wish I only liked it,then I probably would'nt care at all!

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Alberta Player

To answer your questions:

1) A shuttle was discussed last year, but did not materialize. Insurance rates are really high for such a service. The hotel was going to provide it at first. Anyway I will see what we can do for this year. Even without a shuttle service, I think I can arrange something with the people that do have vehicles at the hotel. No one should have to take a taxi with at least half of the people at the hotel had a vehicle with them. I will bring the topic up at the players meeting.

2) The location for the Canadians is decided on at CBSA's Annual General Meeting each year. Provincial Associations or a promoters submits a proposal to host the event. None of the Western Provinces has expressed an interest to host the event in the last few years. The Championships were scheduled for Edmonton in 2006 & 2007, but the individual that was organizing the event resigned. No sponsors or manpower in place, so CBSA had to change the location to Ontario. I would love to see the Championships in Alberta some day.

srs314

shooterville.com
Taxi Man

I believe when rules are made you have to standby them because if not then there not rules there just suggestions.On that tour you had to have your entry fee paid by a certain time or you don't get in ''period''.Now I spoke with Jim Wych who did the best job he could ,wanted to stick with that rule but had so much outside pressure to let certain ''big'' players join after the deadline that going against his better judgement, had to let them in.Great players ,good or bad players should abide by the same rules with no special treatment.

Lets talk about room owners who are also part of the commitee that handicap the pool players then bet in the calcutta,I find that a conflict of interest,at least it was for Pete Rose.Anybody taking part in handicapping or running the event should not be betting on it.These problems are quite simple to solve and hopefully don't get swept under the rug like they usually do.

I totaly agree with these two items.

Players who don't pay/enter by a tournament deadline are allowed in so often that they know they can take advantage of it.

Players should not be purchased by anyone who is in control of handicapping. The only way I think this is ok is if they are buying one of the highest handicap players. In the 404 for example John Morra or any 11.

Anyway, I just wanted to support your comments, these are issues that seem to never go away from tour to tour. However I don't think they are problems in the CBSA events that this forum is about.

SonnyCaine

Registered
When will they release the date/location of the 2009 Canadians?

Also whats the entry fees for pro/amatuer 9 ball and snooker>?

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canadian Dates

To SonnyCaine - The dates for the Canadians were announced across Canada awhile back. They are as follows:

Open Snooker: Wed. Aug 12th. to Tues. Aug. 18th.
Senior Snooker: Sun. Aug. 16th. to Tues. Aug. 18th.
Amateur 9-Ball (Men & Women): Wed. Aug. 12th. to Fri. Aug. 14th.
8-Ball (Open & Women): Sat. Aug. 15th. to Mon. Aug. 17th.
9-Ball (Open & Women): Tues. Aug. 18th. to Thurs. Aug. 20th.
Junior 9-Ball: Wed. Aug. 19th. to Thurs. Aug. 20th.
10-Ball (Open): Fri. Aug. 21st. to Sun. Aug. 23rd.

If you could let me know what Province you reside in, then I could let you know who you should contact in regards to fees & qualifiers.

This year's event will be played at Shooters Snooker & Sports Club in the GTA, the same venue as 2008.

On another note, the CBSA will be launching a new website in the very near future. Hopefully by the end of May. I will post the new web address here the day that it goes live.

Last edited:

SonnyCaine

Registered
I plan on playing in them all accept Juniors.......

So id like to kno entry fees. qualifiers? hmm not to interested in those but .. wouldnt hurt to know where they are

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anwser To SonnyCaine

To play in the Canadian Championships one must be entered in by their respective Provincial Assoc., in your case the Ontario Billiards & Snooker Assoc. (OBSA), or be a former Canadian champion or runner-up.

The President of OBSA is Odie Willet. I suggest you contact him for further information on playing at the Nationals. He can be contacted at:
odbilliard@yahoo.ca

If you are at the event, please say hi.

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CBSA Launches New Website

The Canadian Billiards & Snooker Association (CBSA) is very pleased to announce the launching of a new and improved website. The web address for the new site remains unchanged: www.cbsa.ca

Some of the new features on this site include an events calendar, which can be used by any promoter, Canadian Billiard Association or independent, to advertise their event, plus a profile page that will feature the accomplishments of Canadian cue sports individuals, from coast to coast.

More information will be added to the site in the coming weeks and months, leading up to the Canadian Cue Sports Championships, August 12 – 23, at Shooters Snooker & Sports Club, Toronto ON.

The CBSA would also like to thank their web master, Ross Kimble, Saskatoon, SK, for designing a very colourful and user friendly site. His time and efforts are very much appreciated.

So, please check back often, and follow the “News” link, plus the other links for up to date information on Canadian Cue Sports.

baller

Registered
Poison & Predator Sponsor $$$

Hello Mr. Cooper,
First of all, I would like to acknowledge the time and effort you have put into the Canadian billiard industry. I don’t expect that the job is very rewarding. I also realize that pool players can be very critical (as noted in these forums).

The new website (www.cbsa.ca) has listed some new sponsors for this years Canadian Championships, namely Predator Cues and Poison Cues. Will these sponsors be adding any $$$ to our biggest tournament of the year? If so, how much?

The amount of money in a particular event can drastically impact the number of players who will participate. It there a particular location where entry fees and payouts will be listed?

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer To Baller

Hey Baller,

Thanks for your kind words. The job does have some rewarding facets to it. But you are right, pool players can be a rough crowd at times, but it is all good. I have met more nice people, than bad apples.

Now to answer your question. CBSA is very pleased to have some sponsors this year that will provide financial benefits to the prize pool, such as Predator Cue, Yorkland Hotel, & Simonis Cloth. I wish I could give you a total at this time, but I can not.

The total amount will depend on how much revenue is generated from the sponsored Predator product, & how many people stay at the host hotel. The amount will be somewhere between $10,000 to $20,000 added money. These numbers are very conservative on my part, at this point in time. Could possibly be more than $20,000. How the added money will be split amongst the various disciplines will be determined once we know the total.

This will be the first year since 2005 that there will be added money for the Canadian Championships, and the most ever to date.

The prize pool at each Championship is not only cash prizes. There also is expense money to various World events, championship rings, etc....

Each Provincial Association has the sanction fees & payout information. Your Provincial contact person is very easy to find on the new website. They will also have information in how you can compete at the Championships.

Thanks for your question. If you do play at the Canadians, please make sure to introduce yourself & say hi.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the CBSA receive any federal sponsorship through grant programs for non-profit organizations and if so, where does that money get spent?