Engraving and Cue Building?

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Scrim Shaw and Engraving Examples from Dan Goeden

It just seems to me that these 2 things could be tied together. My father has been doing Scrim Shaw and Gun Engraving for years. He loves doing both and asked me the other day if Engraving could be intigrated into cues. I wasnt sure due to the weight of metal. He built this piece for a gun show down in AZ last month. Let me know your guys thoughts.

*Or possibly inlayed in to the pockets of a Case? He also hand carved the Water Buffalo in the middle.

UPDATE 03/03/10 - Here are some more examples of what he can do.

DSC_0002a.jpg

DSC_0005a.jpg

DSC_0006a.jpg

DSC_0008a.jpg

DSC_0009a.jpg

DSC_0010a.jpg

DSC_0013a.jpg

DSC_0011a.jpg

DSC_0019a.jpg

DSC_0030a.jpg

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, he's definitely got talent- beautiful work.
Scrimshaw's been done in cues for years- a search of the website will show you many examples.
The metal engraving would be a little different- not only due to the weight, but due to the different coefficient of expansion/contraction of the wood vs. the metal. Ever notice how metal rings start to "pop" through the finish on most cues after some time?
Regardless- beautiful work.

~Beau

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Ahh thats right.. I forgot all about that. Hence why many big builders do not use Metal Rings? But then again what about lets say Black Boar? I was also thinking maybe he could work on a thin enough sheet that it could be attached/inlayed onto a Case much like the exotic Snake Skins are on Jack Justis cases. I think a fully tooled case with Metal Engraving to match the Tooling would look Killer!

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Years ago, Joss offered laser engraving on their steel joint sleeves. There were a number of designs including dragons, tribal designs, etc. I believe it was an option and not part of any regular lines of cues. They also engraved the steel sleeves for special lines of cues.....Mosconi & Taylor, possibly more.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible, but from what I can tell, Black Boar uses segmented metal rings in all but his early work to avoid the ring expansion problem.
I do think the idea for inlays in the leather cases has metal, though. I don't know what it couldn't be done.
Good luck

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
plshrk22,

Your Father is an extremely talented man.
I'm sure that you'll cherish this fine example of his work for the rest of your life.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His remarkable talent defintely could be used in pool cues. It would have it's challenges, but it could work if done properly.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I am thinking Ivory oval windows in the butt scrimshawed by your dad.

Bet there are cue makers out there willing to pay for his work.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Thats what I was thinking. You should see his Scrim Shaw work. Its amazing.. I will have pics of that later this week.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Alright who wants to go in on a cue build with my pops and have him do some engraving? :)

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rings and expansion

It is possible, but from what I can tell, Black Boar uses segmented metal rings in all but his early work to avoid the ring expansion problem.
I do think the idea for inlays in the leather cases has metal, though. I don't know what it couldn't be done.
Good luck

Sorry,but rings do not expand. Many folks think that's what has happened to there cues. Wrong, the wood shrinks over time. Meassure the ring work when the cues new, and also meassure as close to the ring as possible, [ on the wood], the wood dries out more and therefore draws down. I've heard cuemakers say the rings swell, over the years. When they meassure there cues, they have a really funny look on there face when it comes up a few thou, shy of when it was built. The ring is still dead on. It has happened to ALL, cuemakers, at one time or another. In some cases the wood expands because of the high humidty,with moister. Do the rings shrink, hell no, not really, just the wood problem again..it expands.

Not trying to fuss, but after also most 40 years of experiance, I know what happens. Most guys won't admitt that there wood has shrunk...
To help to avoid this, dry your wood for years, not days.
Many guys have said, the moister reading was, 5.5 or 6.0 or whatever, it could have been when it left the mill where it was dried. When you receive it, it could read up wards of 7 , 8 or more. This depends on the humidty where you live, so that being said, moister content really changes within the shipping system and on how you take care of your wood.
Keep it in a dry closet, and by all means, use a dehumidfier, if possible. Doing this will reduce the ring shrinking, problem.. Really.
O-Well.
Blud

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have always thought engraving on the rings would be a great detail that is not highly used in the cues. Most like to use precious metals and scrimshaw is already popular.

does anyone know who can do engravings on ivory rings? i saw a cue made by edwin reyes that had some fantastic work with asian dragons.

almer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have always thought engraving on the rings would be a great detail that is not highly used in the cues. Most like to use precious metals and scrimshaw is already popular.

does anyone know who can do engravings on ivory rings? i saw a cue made by edwin reyes that had some fantastic work with asian dragons.

i have a laser ingraver who just did some work for me this week,dont know about ivory but has done lots of wood,plastic and antler,elk and deer,does beautiful work,doing this for years in another industry,on a round object he can laser all the way around,perfect demensions,if you are interested pm me for details

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a laser ingraver who just did some work for me this week,dont know about ivory but has done lots of wood,plastic and antler,elk and deer,does beautiful work,doing this for years in another industry,on a round object he can laser all the way around,perfect demensions,if you are interested pm me for details
Can you post some pictures of the work he did for you?