Unknown "monster" players

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players who are largely "unknown" but possess close to champion speed? Would love to hear some stories. I will throw one name out there as an example(Vernon Elliot). He doesn't play anymore, but when he did, he was a "monster". Some of you know him and his reputation. would like to hear about him and any others that you know. Not trying to knock any action, I'm talking mainly about the "old timers".

Last edited:

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
5-7 packs...

I've heard some pretty good stories about David Rhodes. Maybe someone could shed some light on this... Northwest players??? Had the opportunity to play him a lot, but I could see that he had a crazy gear. I don't think he really loved pool though.. just everything that came with the lifestyle..:rolleyes:

No owing money stories.. not enough room for that!

matthew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry I can't get the image of the moster from Frankenstein out of my head. Standing over a pool table, cue in hand. I just find it funny.

Sorry I have nothing important to the thread. Carry on. :)

asiasdad

Banned
Josh Palmer said:
I've heard some pretty good stories about David Rhodes. Maybe someone could shed some light on this... Northwest players??? Had the opportunity to play him a lot, but I could see that he had a crazy gear. I don't think he really loved pool though.. just everything that came with the lifestyle..:rolleyes:

He was taken out of Classic Billiards in Portland the other afternoon
wearing jewelry and enough counts that he won't be playing pool
for quite some time.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me throw another name out there that some may have heard of(Weldon "Jr" Rogers). Also one of the very best one-handed players ever. before you ask, yes he has two hands.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matthew said:
I'm sorry I can't get the image of the moster from Frankenstein out of my head. Standing over a pool table, cue in hand. I just find it funny.

Sorry I have nothing important to the thread. Carry on. :)
If you had seen Vernon play in his prime, you would know that he could give Frankstein's monster the 6 out.

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
asiasdad said:
He was taken out of Classic Billiards in Portland the other afternoon
wearing jewelry and enough counts that he won't be playing pool
for quite some time.

Man.. sorry to hear that.. I didn't think he'd even go back up there. Oh well. .he's probably a count away, or already 3 strikes in now..

There is a guy who could have been the worlds greatest car salesman too. One thing I know about Dave, and is true about the elite pool players, is that he could have excelled in anything. The things he made out of pool balls on the lathe, or cues... he just had a knack.. He also liked young chicks too, which is sometimes a no no when they haven't hit 18 either!

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
monsters--

I heard Glenn Atwell, Al Perez, Bobby Zack and Gary Crane are some of the best relatively unknown players in the NW capable of beating just about anyone. I have heard that Al is maybe playing as good as anyone and Gary used to be a fierce roadplayer and Glenn and Bobby are more known around the country, but not sure, just things I've heard. But I also would love to hear more about these and other players adventures.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i remember hearing about this "country" guy from oklahoma back in the 80s that would play anybody some 10000 sets if you came to oklahoma city. always thought it was just a pool story. hes not unknown anymore. james walden.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My teacher Andy Toth was a MONSTER and basically unknown outside the PA/NY/VA/DE area. He was maybe a ball below the top flight Pros. Many a day I sat working at the pool room watching him play 50, 60, 80 no count! it was sick!! Everyone sais he lost it when he lost to Sigel in the final of our yearly 14.1 event. He had Sigel like 147 to I dunno 50, and lost. It was over from there I guess.

cheesemouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josh Palmer said:

I played a bunch of pool with/against David Rhodes in the late 70's/early 80's...at that time he was the guy to beat in Portland Ore. I could get the wild 7 and it was a good gamble unless he found a break and then it didn't make any difference. Once he caught his gear I might as well have just asked him how much of my money he want :).....I like David and had many good times playing on the 'open' golf table at the bowling alley. I took a couple road trips with him, he had a good reputation as a top player through out the country; a really tough action guy.

I remember him breaking his bridge hand arm and trying to play with the cast but it didn't work to well so he went back to the doctor and had him fashion a cast with a groove in it for the shaft. He played just as strong with the new cast....I never lost any money backing David...sorry to hear about his problems.

We use to call him the 'dough boy'...a play on his physic and his gambling skills....:)

Last edited:

enzo

Banned
Raecarmia said:
I heard Glenn Atwell, Al Perez, Bobby Zack and Gary Crane are some of the best relatively unknown players in the NW capable of beating just about anyone. I have heard that Al is maybe playing as good as anyone and Gary used to be a fierce roadplayer and Glenn and Bobby are more known around the country, but not sure, just things I've heard. But I also would love to hear more about these and other players adventures.

al should come on down to hard times, sounds like he'd clean house.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
gutshot said:
I know a pizza delivery guy here in Ohio that plays JAM UP!:)

Kelly,

I think I have seen him around too! Tommy has so much talent it makes me sick! Yeah, I am just jealous..

Pepperoni and Sausage for me!:D

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
MOJOE said:
Kelly,

I think I have seen him around too! Tommy has so much talent it makes me sick! Yeah, I am just jealous..

Pepperoni and Sausage for me!:D
Are you all referring to Tommy, as in Whitey's son?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Perhaps its my age catching up with me, perhaps its my feelings that 9 ball has reduced the beauty and depth of pool to a lesser thing, but when I think of a great player, I don't think of the ability to give up the 6 and out. I think of the ability to consistantly run over 100 balls.

Sorry Willie, hope you aren't rolling over in your grave with this 9 ball stuff, forgive them, its some of the young folks only exposure :(

Jerry Forsyth

Brian Tidwell

When I was a teenager in Greensboro, NC, there was a fellow named Brian Tidwell who lived there. He and I would take road trips to Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Roanoke, etc. He would put me in action in the pool rooms and then 'fall asleep' in the chair as I lost my set to whomever he had picked out. When I handed over the cash I would make a comment that if my 'Dad' were awake that he would take the guy on and murder him. The fish would always say "Well, wake his ass up." And I would and 'dad' would start out slow and then wind up with every penny the opponent had on him.

Brian would give me a handsome share of the take and we would drive back to Greensboro in his DeSoto. I doubt anyone has ever heard of Brian. We always used different names (part of the 'game') and hardly ever did this in Greensboro. But he could really play. I used to watch him run rack after rack of straight pool.

gotgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late 70's and 80's a guy from the midwest Illinois area who then went out west to vegas Dan Clark ''Clarkie'' was a monster player. He had major backers that would shell out major cheese on the bar box. There are a few other monsters in the midwest now Mike Laport, Josh Johnson are a couple. Just my 2 cents:D

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jayburger said:
i remember hearing about this "country" guy from oklahoma back in the 80s that would play anybody some 10000 sets if you came to oklahoma city. always thought it was just a pool story. hes not unknown anymore. james walden.
Yeah, Jay. I was gonna throw James out there, too. Ricky Gracek from Michigan is another world beater that never "tournamented."

Anyone remember Houston Whitey? He did the funniest impression of Tommy Kennedy I've ever seen. He'd have everyone in tears. "Hey, it's Johnny. Johnny Archer. He's so awesome." I thought I'd piss myself.

Last edited: