Titanic Thompson and Greenleaf

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another Titanic tale.

A circuit riding pool player named Jim Buford had gained a considerable reputation in Joplin, Springfield, Carthage and Tulsa. He was an outstanding, but hardly great, pool player who well knew his own capabilities. He was careful never to over match himself, and always playing those he was almost certain to beat. Such reasoning had provided him with a sizable income and an enviable won-lost record. He had played a few games against Thompson shortly after the latter's earlier arrival in Joplin, but for small stakes. The fact that the man, obviously wealthy, was so conservative in his betting was no small source of frustration for a gambler looking for a big score. Thus Titanic set about to design a plan which would lure his adversary into a high stakes game.

A game of partners seemed to be the most likely proposition.

In Kansas City, a place Thompson had found to be a storehouse of hustlers and con men of all degrees of talent, he had became acquainted with a down-on-his-luck pool player named Johnny Littlepage. Littlepage was a classic example of the gambler without the proper abilities to pursue his chosen profession. Despite heavy losses he returned to the pool halls each time he managed to get a few dollars in his pocket.

When Titanic approached him with his proposition, Littlepage was broke and woefully in debt.

"Johnny," Thompson said one evening as the last game of the night was breaking up, "how are you fixed for cash?"

"Hell, man" Littlepage replied, "you know me. I haven't got a dime to my name".

"Maybe we can fix that," Thompson said. "Come to the boardinghouse tomorrow around noon."

Littlepage assured him he would be there.

When Littlepage arrived the following day he was so eager to learn of Thompsons moneymaking scheme he burst into the room without bothering to knock. No sooner was he in the room than he was staring down the barrel of a German Luger which Titanic had recently purchased.

Thompson had been lying in bed in his robe, reading the paper when Littlepage made his surprise entry. For several seconds Littlepage stood frozen. Thompson did not lower the gun as he stared without expression at the visitor. Slowly the icy gaze melted into a faint smile, then laughter. "Well you crazy fool," Titanic finally said, lowering the gun, "you damn near forced me to kill a man who is gonna help me make some big money. Might be a good idea for you to remember to knock before you come busting in next time."

The relieved Littlepage nodded and set down.

Thompson did not bother to dress , but simply went into the details. "Here's $100 I want you to go out and buy yourself a cue and a fancy-looking sweater. Your going to be my playing partner."

Puzzled but excited over the prospect of such an arrangement, Littlepage scooped up the money.

Thompson continued: As soon as Littlepage had made his purchases, he was to make a man named Harry Moskevitz aware of their partnership and suggest a game with Moskevitz and his choice of partners in Joplin in the near future. Thompson knew that on numerous occasions in the past, Moskevitz and Jim Buford had teamed up against partnerships of lesser talent. But since Thompson was relatively new to the area, it was unlikely that he would be aware of their occasional dealings. All they would know was that Thompson, a good player capable of holding his own with just about anyone around, had for whatever reason chosen a virtual no-talent for a partner. It was the kind of match Buford thrived on.

Littlepage may not have been much of a poker player but he carried out his end of the scheme in championship style. Advising Moskevitz that he and Thompson were partners and displaying usual confidence in his own abilities, he suggested Moskevitz find him a partner and take them on. Make it for big money, he said, because this fella Thompson is loaded.

When Moskevitz suggested that he might get in touch with Buford and ask him to join the game, Littlepage appeared stunned.

"Hey, now wait a minute," he said, "that guy can run a hundred balls. You guys could beat us out of $10,000 in one night. You gotta cut me in on a deal like this. I'll keep my mouth shut about Buford, and I'll see to it Thompson don't get any real help from me when we play. You guys pick up a bundle and cut me in on a small share. Sound okay to you?"

"Mr. Littlepage you get your man ready and we'll see you in Joplin."

It had worked like a charm. As soon as Littlepage reported to him that the game was set, Thompson placed a call to Ralph Greenleaf, a man who was unknown around Joplin but who had just captured the world pool championship in an eastern tournament.

"Ralph," Titanic said, "get yourself to Joplin by Friday, and I'll guarantee you'll go home Saturday morning with $5000 in your pocket. You just come into town kinda quiet like and dont be to flashy, and I'll explain it all when you get here."

Word had spread quickly through the Joplin gambling community of the match. By eight, o'clock that Friday evening the pool hall was filled, buzzing with anticipation. Thompson was the first of the key figures to arrive, nattily dressed, carrying his custom cue. A few moments later Littlepage, wearing the sweater he had recently purchased, came in and took a seat by the wall. He was followed a few minutes later by a nondescript man in an overcoat who took a seat next to Littlepage. Shortly before the scheduled starting time Moskevitz appeared followed by Buford. Moskevitz, the spokesman for the partnership, approached Thompson, shook his hand, and said,"well Mr. Thompson, what is it you have in mind exactly?"

"Just want to play a little pool for some money."

"Well now, it just so happens thats what we came for. You just pick yourself a partner and we'll get on with the game."

"I'll just do that if you can give me some assurance that it'll be worth my time. I'll get me a partner up here if you boys want to play for $10,000. Thats my deal. $10,000. You pick a partner and I'll pick one. Lets get it all down on paper before we chalk up."

Even before the ground rules were set to paper, side bets were being made through the room. As written, the rules stated that Moskevitz was to select a partner and Thompson was to do the same. They would play ten games at $1000 per game, and both teams would put the money in the hands of the stakeholder before play was begun.

Moskevitz introduced Buford as his partner. " Okay Thompson," he said "you pick your man."

Titanic went straight to John Littlepage as everyone involved had expected him to do. But just as he spoke, the man sitting next to Littlepage rose and said, "Mister, I'd be happy to play as your partner, and I'm certain I'll do you proud." Littlepage already unpacking his cue, ignored the man. But not Thompson.

"Well," he said, "it seems I've got two partners to pick from all of a sudden. I suppose the only fair thing for me to do is flip a coin." Littlepage's mouth flew open. Doubtless so did those of Moskevitz and Buford.

"Now then, if its heads, Mister I take you. If its tails, John, your my partner." With that Titanic Thompson flipped the double-headed quarter he carried with him all the time. He slapped it to his arm, uncovered it for anyone who would care to see, and announced."Heads it is."

As the onlookers alternately cheered and watched in hushed amazement, the quiet spoken man Thompson had chosen as his partner repeatedly ran the table. And with Titanic playing well himself, it really was no contest.

They had won eight straight games when someone in the crowd was able to identify the mysterious player. "I thought he looked kind of familiar. Only I remember him as being one of them real fancy dressers. I'm here to betcha that man holding that hot cue is none other than Ralph Greenleaf."

Overhearing the revelation, Thompson said, "You are absolutely right. He aint nobody but Ralph Greenleaf himself. Like I always say, 'If you cant beat'em, get off your rear and find someone who can."

That he had done. Winning the last two games from their enraged competitors was quickly done and the prize money collected. "Now" Titanic said, "there's no cause for you fellas to get your feathers up. This was about as fair and square a game as I ever played in. We had everything down in writing before we ever chalked a cue. If you gentlemen would like a rematch, we'd be pleased to put another $10,000 up right now."

Moskevitz and Buford stormed from the pool hall toward their car while Greenleaf, thoroughly enjoying himself, stayed to give further demonstration of his skill to the crowd which remained.

Thompson collected his half of the $10,000, another couple of thousand won on side bets, paid the still-shocked Littlepage $1000 and left for the boardinghouse.

I hope you enjoyed this tale from Thompsons book. I'll do another later on about when Hubert Cokes and Thompson almost killed one another over some gambling winnings.

S

skip

Thank you so much for sharing this story. Always nice reading about the old legends. Keep them coming. :)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Cool story, but I question whether it could have happened that way. Moskevitz and Buford only agreed to the game because of how weak Littlepage was. There's no way they'd go along with it when game-time came around and suddenly Thompson wants to lock down the bet before the partners were chosen.

-Andrew

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Thank you I really needed that. It has been a long time since I heard a good story. Keep them coming.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Cool story, but I question whether it could have happened that way. Moskevitz and Buford only agreed to the game because of how weak Littlepage was. There's no way they'd go along with it when game-time came around and suddenly Thompson wants to lock down the bet before the partners were chosen.

-Andrew

Thompson was someone who understood human nature and the power of assumption.

He knew that by wording the terms the way he did that they would ASSUME that Littlepage was going to be the partner that was picked and since they thought Littlepage was going to dump they had no need to stipulate Thompson's partner in writing.

That's why Thompson worded it the way he did and wrote it all out in a contract that way.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story

A nice story and surely the type of scheme that Titanic would come up with. The only minor flaw is that Titanic was not much of a pool player. He could play a bit, but not even shortstop speed. He was world class at golf, a pretty good bowler, and a great shot. But he never became much of a pool player.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A circuit riding pool player named Jim Buford had gained a considerable reputation in Joplin, Springfield, Carthage and Tulsa. He was an outstanding, but hardly great, pool player who well knew his own capabilities. He was careful never to over match himself, and always playing those he was almost certain to beat. Such reasoning had provided him with a sizable income and an enviable won-lost record. He had played a few games against Thompson shortly after the latter's earlier arrival in Joplin, but for small stakes. The fact that the man, obviously wealthy, was so conservative in his betting was no small source of frustration for a gambler looking for a big score. Thus Titanic set about to design a plan which would lure his adversary into a high stakes game.

In Kansas City, a place Thompson had found to be a storehouse of hustlers and con men of all degrees of talent, he had became acquainted with a down-on-his-luck pool player named Johnny Littlepage. Littlepage was a classic example of the gambler without the proper abilities to pursue his chosen profession. Despite heavy losses he returned to the pool halls each time he managed to get a few dollars in his pocket.

When Titanic approached him with his proposition, Littlepage was broke and woefully in debt.

"Johnny," Thompson said one evening as the last game of the night was breaking up, "how are you fixed for cash?"

"Maybe we can fix that," Thompson said. "Come to the boardinghouse tomorrow around noon."

When Littlepage arrived the following day he was so eager to learn of Thompsons moneymaking scheme he burst into the room without bothering to knock. No sooner was he in the room than he was staring down the barrel of a German Luger which Titanic had recently purchased.

Thompson had been lying in bed in his robe, reading the paper when Littlepage made his surprise entry. For several seconds Littlepage stood frozen. Thompson did not lower the gun as he stared without expression at the visitor. Slowly the icy gaze melted into a faint smile, then laughter. "Well you crazy fool," Titanic finally said, lowering the gun, "you damn near forced me to kill a man who is gonna help me make some big money. Might be a good idea for you to remember to knock before you come busting in next time."

Thompson did not bother to dress , but simply went into the details. "Here's $100 I want you to go out and buy yourself a cue and a fancy-looking sweater. Your going to be my playing partner."

Puzzled but excited over the prospect of such an arrangement, Littlepage scooped up the money.

Thompson continued: As soon as Littlepage had made his purchases, he was to make a man named Harry Moskevitz aware of their partnership and suggest a game with Moskevitz and his choice of partners in Joplin in the near future. Thompson knew that on numerous occasions in the past, Moskevitz and Jim Buford had teamed up against partnerships of lesser talent. But since Thompson was relatively new to the area, it was unlikely that he would be aware of their occasional dealings. All they would know was that Thompson, a good player capable of holding his own with just about anyone around, had for whatever reason chosen a virtual no-talent for a partner. It was the kind of match Buford thrived on.

Littlepage may not have been much of a poker player but he carried out his end of the scheme in championship style. Advising Moskevitz that he and Thompson were partners and displaying usual confidence in his own abilities, he suggested Moskevitz find him a partner and take them on. Make it for big money, he said, because this fella Thompson is loaded.

When Moskevitz suggested that he might get in touch with Buford and ask him to join the game, Littlepage appeared stunned.

"Hey, now wait a minute," he said, "that guy can run a hundred balls. You guys could beat us out of $10,000 in one night. You gotta cut me in on a deal like this. I'll keep my mouth shut about Buford, and I'll see to it Thompson don't get any real help from me when we play. You guys pick up a bundle and cut me in on a small share. Sound okay to you?"

It had worked like a charm. As soon as Littlepage reported to him that the game was set, Thompson placed a call to Ralph Greenleaf, a man who was unknown around Joplin but who had just captured the world pool championship in an eastern tournament.

"Ralph," Titanic said, "get yourself to Joplin by Friday, and I'll guarantee you'll go home Saturday morning with $5000 in your pocket. You just come into town kinda quiet like and dont be to flashy, and I'll explain it all when you get here."

Word had spread quickly through the Joplin gambling community of the match. By eight, o'clock that Friday evening the pool hall was filled, buzzing with anticipation. Thompson was the first of the key figures to arrive, nattily dressed, carrying his custom cue. A few moments later Littlepage, wearing the sweater he had recently purchased, came in and took a seat by the wall. He was followed a few minutes later by a nondescript man in an overcoat who took a seat next to Littlepage. Shortly before the scheduled starting time Moskevitz appeared followed by Buford. Moskevitz, the spokesman for the partnership, approached Thompson, shook his hand, and said,"well Mr. Thompson, what is it you have in mind exactly?"

"Well now, it just so happens thats what we came for. You just pick yourself a partner and we'll get on with the game."

"I'll just do that if you can give me some assurance that it'll be worth my time. I'll get me a partner up here if you boys want to play for $10,000. Thats my deal. $10,000. You pick a partner and I'll pick one. Lets get it all down on paper before we chalk up."

Even before the ground rules were set to paper, side bets were being made through the room. As written, the rules stated that Moskevitz was to select a partner and Thompson was to do the same. They would play ten games at $1000 per game, and both teams would put the money in the hands of the stakeholder before play was begun.

Moskevitz introduced Buford as his partner. " Okay Thompson," he said "you pick your man."

Titanic went straight to John Littlepage as everyone involved had expected him to do. But just as he spoke, the man sitting next to Littlepage rose and said, "Mister, I'd be happy to play as your partner, and I'm certain I'll do you proud." Littlepage already unpacking his cue, ignored the man. But not Thompson.

"Well," he said, "it seems I've got two partners to pick from all of a sudden. I suppose the only fair thing for me to do is flip a coin." Littlepage's mouth flew open. Doubtless so did those of Moskevitz and Buford.

"Now then, if its heads, Mister I take you. If its tails, John, your my partner." With that Titanic Thompson flipped the double-headed quarter he carried with him all the time. He slapped it to his arm, uncovered it for anyone who would care to see, and announced."Heads it is."

As the onlookers alternately cheered and watched in hushed amazement, the quiet spoken man Thompson had chosen as his partner repeatedly ran the table. And with Titanic playing well himself, it really was no contest.

They had won eight straight games when someone in the crowd was able to identify the mysterious player. "I thought he looked kind of familiar. Only I remember him as being one of them real fancy dressers. I'm here to betcha that man holding that hot cue is none other than Ralph Greenleaf."

Overhearing the revelation, Thompson said, "You are absolutely right. He aint nobody but Ralph Greenleaf himself. Like I always say, 'If you cant beat'em, get off your rear and find someone who can."

That he had done. Winning the last two games from their enraged competitors was quickly done and the prize money collected. "Now" Titanic said, "there's no cause for you fellas to get your feathers up. This was about as fair and square a game as I ever played in. We had everything down in writing before we ever chalked a cue. If you gentlemen would like a rematch, we'd be pleased to put another $10,000 up right now."

Moskevitz and Buford stormed from the pool hall toward their car while Greenleaf, thoroughly enjoying himself, stayed to give further demonstration of his skill to the crowd which remained.

Thompson collected his half of the $10,000, another couple of thousand won on side bets, paid the still-shocked Littlepage $1000 and left for the boardinghouse.

I hope you enjoyed this tale from Thompsons book. I'll do another later on about when Hubert Cokes and Thompson almost killed one another over some gambling winnings.

See, I love this story. But, the "I don't believe in gambling guys" will act like this isn't entertaining. It's terrible, to say the least. Despicable. Horrible. Thieves!

Then, they will re-tell this story with people being "their friends or uncle" and like he's a god. But, gambling is terrible.......

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By the way, there will be many a nut swinger on this one. But, they don't think gambling or hustling is a help for the pool world.

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome post and some well deserved rep points given :)

Keep 'em Coming Hambone :thumbup:

Willie

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A nice story and surely the type of scheme that Titanic would come up with. The only minor flaw is that Titanic was not much of a pool player. He could play a bit, but not even shortstop speed. He was world class at golf, a pretty good bowler, and a great shot. But he never became much of a pool player.

Thats very true Bill. The Beard (Fred Bentivegna) published a short story on my experiences with Titanic. I'm quite sure you've read it.

For anyone else that wants to, I will try and furnish the link...give me a minute to find it.
Those unfamiliar with the Beard...He has a great web site, for all things pool related.

Try this link...http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=453 My stories are #3 and #5...and they are as true as I can make them. Also another interesting story, is #4, by Johnny Hughs, an old Dallas scuff I knew quite well.

All stories about Ti are fascinating, whether they can be substantiated or not...good job Hambone.

SJD

Last edited: