weights

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone have weights in your shaft? a guy at the poolhall last night said he had weights added to help with full table draw.All my years playing I ever heard of this.Have you????

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
does anyone have weights in your shaft? a guy at the poolhall last night said he had weights added to help with full table draw.All my years playing I ever heard of this.Have you????

New one on me too, and I can't it doing anything to help him draw. johnnytsee

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yrybe2yt.jpg

I put led tape on my shaft. Easy way to find out what weight I wanted in a new shaft. Looks silly but it shows how a well built cue responds to a tiny amount of weight.

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you sure he added weight to the shaft and not the butt?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Check UTube if you want to see some amazing draw shot ability.

Practice and skill will do it for ya. Not shaft a ss weights.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Wow... shaft weights.
Weights you stick on to the shaft of your cue. Wow.

Im going to join Blue Hog ridr saying that this "aid" will do nothing for your ability to draw the ball. But additionally, I will ad that it would actually hurt your ability to draw. A lighter stick will give you a little more finesse. You add weight to get stability.

krychekrowe - I just do not understand how a heavier shaft, not the butt... but specifically the shaft being heavier will have anything to do with putting spin on the CB. Anything you can impart on this to help me out?

Lesh

Last edited:

Datto

Registered
I remember reading that Harvey Martin invented an adjustable weight system that went behind the ferrel, it went on to say that this was one of the first attempts at a low deflection shaft as the extra weight at the tip kept it on the cue ball longer.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Really? Then all you need is a stainless steel ferrule like Kevin Deroo uses on some of his snooker cues.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
It is funny that this thread came up. When I was visiting my local cue maker last weekend he was working on 2 brand new OB Classic shafts that the customer wanted to be taped inside the joint area so that 2 counter-sync weights could be added/removed. I found it odd but this customer has this done regularly and loves it.

I personally love heavy shafts and my current playing shaft is a Predator 314-2 that was made from a Partial and weighs 4.3 oz.

Datto

Registered
Idk, just something I read. If I remember right I read it in his section of one of B.B. of pool cues. They just mention it, but didn't say if he had any success with it or persued it any further.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
SLAP-CHOP! Yer gonna luv my nuts!!!

50% of all pool players could want these you know ;)

Oh easily 50%
I hope the word is spread wide and far about this fantastic weighted shaft product. I just cant seem to wrap my head around why I ever doubted its validity.
(Wipes off his monitor with his Sham-Wow) (//END SARCASM//)

Actual response:
Momentum is the product of mass and velocity, The energy that a Cue has on account of its motion does not change, regardless of where its mass is.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If anyone knows about altering shaft weight / balance, it would be Pat Fleming. He has done lots of experimenting in the past.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading that Harvey Martin invented an adjustable weight system that went behind the ferrel, it went on to say that this was one of the first attempts at a low deflection shaft as the extra weight at the tip kept it on the cue ball longer.

Of course that is good in theory but now we all know that LESS weight at the tip is what helps to lessen deflection.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is funny that this thread came up. When I was visiting my local cue maker last weekend he was working on 2 brand new OB Classic shafts that the customer wanted to be taped inside the joint area so that 2 counter-sync weights could be added/removed. I found it odd but this customer has this done regularly and loves it.

I personally love heavy shafts and my current playing shaft is a Predator 314-2 that was made from a Partial and weighs 4.3 oz.

Well, it would sure change the balance of the cue, and I since quite a bit of your game can come from the feel and confidence in your stroke and equipment, I can see how a cue that you like the balance of will help with a shot. It may not actually help it as better equipment, but much of a pool players equipment resided in your head.

It's like when people ask why would you get a $1,000 cue when a $300 cue could be just as well made. It comes down to how your are thinking about the equipment and I guess the euphoria (for lack of another work I can come up with) you get from playing with a well made and desirable cue.

I tend to play oddly well when I borrowed someone cue to try that I liked the feel of, or on a new table that I liked the speed and setup of. Once time I went to a new room for a tournament (Amazin Billiards in MA), never been there before. Got on a practice table with a guy, and promptly broke and ran 2 racks, something I very rarely do, I'm pretty sure it was because the table was setup very well to how I play for speed of the rails/cloth and how well it rolled.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If it really worked......... all cues would be made with it.....................

draw is in your stroke........ not in a magic weight system

Kim

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow... shaft weights.
Weights you stick on to the shaft of your cue. Wow.

Im going to join Blue Hog ridr saying that this "aid" will do nothing for your ability to draw the ball. But additionally, I will ad that it would actually hurt your ability to draw. A lighter stick will give you a little more finesse. You add weight to get stability.

krychekrowe - I just do not understand how a heavier shaft, not the butt... but specifically the shaft being heavier will have anything to do with putting spin on the CB. Anything you can impart on this to help me out?

Lesh

I just wanted to know what weight I was looking for when ordering a shaft from Mr Lambros. My judd is a bit to butt heavy. I don't think anything about the spin theory. ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the 1970s/1980s Pat Fleming sold a removable weight for the shaft. It had noting to do with draw and everything to do with keeping the shaft down when you were using a high, open bridge when you were jacked up over a ball. Another version of that was on the market a few years ago.

I think that if you have a hard time hitting low enough for good draw because of bad stroke mechanics, then changing the balance of the stick may get you to hit low enough. Of course it's generally a bad idea to add on complications to fix very basic problems.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
In the 1970s/1980s Pat Fleming sold a removable weight for the shaft. It had noting to do with draw and everything to do with keeping the shaft down when you were using a high, open bridge when you were jacked up over a ball. Another version of that was on the market a few years ago.

I think that if you have a hard time hitting low enough for good draw because of bad stroke mechanics, then changing the balance of the stick may get you to hit low enough. Of course it's generally a bad idea to add on complications to fix very basic problems.

Good point... a forward weighted cue seems to play better in my opinion.......

Kim