Corey Deuel's famous draw shot, and other options

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Nice shooting but this time, move the Measle cue ball back close to the rail instead of on the headstring. ;-)

JoeyA

Ha! Hard enough from where I shot it! And that was with 10 year younger eyes :)

-td

PS - I'm the only one who posted their attempt besides Dr.Dave and I get hecklers! Tough crowd here!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm the only one who posted their attempt besides Dr.Dave and I get hecklers! Tough crowd here!
Welcome to the "club." :grin-square:

Thanks for posting your video link.

Regards,
Dave

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Corey won in 2001 (see US Open results on Wikipedia). Could that have been the year of his shot?

Thanks,
Dave

Definitely not 2001. Taht year, the 1 ball was racked on the spot and Corey was soft breaking the whole way. In the vid, the 9 ball is racked on the spot. Also, Barry was using ring girls (after every rack). That didnt start til 2003ish? Lastly, Wendy (who was part of our group) only went in 2002, 2003 and maybe 2004?

So, going by my feeble memory, I can narrow the timeframe down but can't give you the exact year. Sorry.

Eric

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Definitely not 2001. Taht year, the 1 ball was racked on the spot and Corey was soft breaking the whole way. In the vid, the 9 ball is racked on the spot. Also, Barry was using ring girls (after every rack). That didnt start til 2003ish? Lastly, Wendy (who was part of our group) only went in 2002, 2003 and maybe 2004?

So, going by my feeble memory, I can narrow the timeframe down but can't give you the exact year. Sorry.

Eric

Your memory is way better than mine, but I do remember the rack girls. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corey won in 2001 (see US Open results on Wikipedia). Could that have been the year of his shot?

Your memory is way better than mine, but I do remember the rack girls. ;)
I'm impressed that you guys got so close to the exact year, just from 12-year-old memories. I wish I had that kind of memory.

Thanks again,
Dave

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it wasn't. This was at the US Open, Chesapeake Conv Ctr around 2003 or 2004? I can't remember exactly, but I believe this was from a Tues or Wed match? *Edit-Oops, misread.

* Dave, it looks like your object ball should be another 2 inches (approx) towards the center of the table?

https://youtu.be/qbi16gxjER0?t=23

https://youtu.be/_plsd-1TNNw?t=177

Eric

Spimp found the one I was thinking of. It was Mosconi 2003: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkK0_2KtBi4&t=40m54s

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny part of this is that Corey ran out & missed the easy 9 ball.

Yeah he made 3 or 4 tough shots in the rack, and that one fantasy shot and missed the 9 ball straight in, just shows he's human.
I've seen several people who seem to be saying they can make the shot.
Put it on a video if you can, I really doubt there is anyone that posts here regularly that can make that shot when it is set up exactly like he played it.

Edit.
Ok I was remembering the shot wrong. I apologise to Dr Dave and anyone else that made the shot.{Although I never meant to say Dr. Dave could not make it}.
I just remembered the shot much differently than it actually was. Daves shot is pretty close and he hits it great.
I thought Corey shot it from nearer the left bottom corner pocket and was almost straight in.
Daves shot seemed to have more draw and less right English than Coreys ball to me.
Anyway , I apologise if I offended anyone, my brain has left the building.

Last edited:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah he made 3 or 4 tough shots in the rack, and that one fantasy shot and missed the 9 ball straight in, just shows he's human.
I've seen several people who seem to be saying they can make the shot.
Put it on a video if you can, I really doubt there is anyone that posts here regularly that can make that shot when it is set up exactly like he played it.
I watch a tremendous amount of pro pool & I can honestly say that was the best pool shot I ever saw. And I was right next to the table when he did it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland hit a shot similar where he was trying to go 2 rail shape a drew it so hard he scratched in the corner pocket , he duplicated the shot on a you tube video

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video on YouTube:

NV H.6 - Corey Deuel's famous draw shot analyzed by Dr. Dave

Check it out. I attempt Corey's famous shot on my new table and show several easier alternatives. Which shot do you think would be the best (most accurate and consistent) choice for most good players?

Enjoy,
Dave

No offense but your shot is not Corey's shot, not even close.
The nature of the 2 shots are different:
- Your shot: normal "take it to the rail with spin" kind of shot, you have like 99% of right spin to bring back the cue ball, nearly zero draw.
- Corey shot: pure draw. I am pretty sure the CB jump off slightly off the felt to conserve backspin, he hit it so hard that the power throw the CB to the rail and back and the backspin bring the CB back. It curved forward before hitting the rail and then curve backward after hitting the rail. I'm sure you know what I mean.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ha! Hard enough from where I shot it! And that was with 10 year younger eyes :)

-td

PS - I'm the only one who posted their attempt besides Dr.Dave and I get hecklers! Tough crowd here!

My bad. I didn't mean to hit you so hard. :sorry:

FTR, I have tried the shot with mixed results. Your results were at least as good as mine.

JoeyA

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Dave puts up the image blurb of where he's striking the cue ball. Then when he strokes it and doesn't hit where he says he is going to. I find that as asinine as possible for what his intentions are.

geez does a dark cloud follow you round all day or what? miserable twat you are

guy made a helluva shot and you are not only picking it a part but knocking his character. get a grip of yourself

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So rather than actually making a video that analyzes his shot, you attempt to demean his shot with your unwitty banter? Delete this thread, delete your page you created and delete that video. If you cannot replicate Corey's shot, it's just further proof of your lack of understanding.

Edit: also this isn't the first time I've seen you use the excuse you've wrecked on your bike either. Maybe you need to get better at riding so you don't crash.

Are you really this big a jerk? I haven,t read past these first couple of comments of yours in this thread,so i hope dr.dave is a buddy of yours and you are just giving him a hard time. If not, you should get a life buddy.