Shane Van Boening stroke, see video

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at SVB at the 14:48 mark when he addresses the cue ball on the 5-ball. It appears when he draws back, the tip appears to bend to his left a bit, then possibly straighten out on his follow thru and contact the CB no doubt where he wants it. Would this indicate during his back stroke he is swinging his butt hand just a bit to the right causing the cue tip to "wobble" a bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8DxlojBWI

I ask this because I have worked hard on my stroke to eliminate any side to side movement of my right hand as sometimes it would affect where I contact the CB if I don't sub-consciously straighten the stoke out during follow thru and contact the CB where I want.
Just curious if you guys see the same thing I do.
Thanks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch REAL close you will see that he completes that little hitch and THEN straightens his cue and goes into stroke mode - the hitch is just a timing mechanism that is sometime used by him and others. He is NOT actually going through the cue ball during the hitch, so his actual final stroke mode is straight in line with the shot.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB has a swooping stroke that some players have. They often practice stroke to the base of the ball and swoop up on final delivery. It’s not mainline technique but you see a few players doing it like Rory Hendrickson. I have a feeling SVB doesn’t intend to do that in a side-to-side manner. Perhaps it’s a little flaw that pops up every now and then and he’d rather it wasn’t there ever. I assume it’s a hitch that creeps up because of his swooping style. I don’t think these are things mainline guidance would have you emulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His elbow is the key. Watch it on the final backstroke as it changes position. It's actually quite amazing he plays so well with this elbow movement.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at SVB at the 14:48 mark when he addresses the cue ball on the 5-ball. It appears when he draws back, the tip appears to bend to his left a bit, then possibly straighten out on his follow thru and contact the CB no doubt where he wants it. Would this indicate during his back stroke he is swinging his butt hand just a bit to the right causing the cue tip to "wobble" a bit?

I ask this because I have worked hard on my stroke to eliminate any side to side movement of my right hand as sometimes it would affect where I contact the CB if I don't sub-consciously straighten the stoke out during follow thru and contact the CB where I want.
Thanks
Lots of players do that. As Sam Snead(golfer for those wondering) said " You don't hit it on your backswing".

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont you all wish you could do that ....Ok Experts let's hear the lowdown...like it's going to mean something....

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The topic of this thread is just "one" of the things that most all instructors "harp on" (snake oil) but, in reality most EVERY real strong player DOES NOT have ANYTHING that would even resemble good mechanics as PREACHED.

IMO....., as most strong players I know personally agree is that the very worst thing a player that is NOT a bigginer can do is:

Try to play to "machine-like"....... instead of:

Moving as fluidly as possible.

Nobody plays at their best while "thinking" about their "insert anything".....

Let your brain / muscles....... learn/burn movements THEN:

While in play and ESPECIALLY when under the gun...... you WILL NEVER THINK about all that chit.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I’ll be dogged. Whould’ve thunk? Self 1 get out of the way of Self 2. Age old problem, no matter the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stroke

I look at it like, as long your stroke is not really whacked out, and you contact the CB where you want and you get the results you want, the rest don't matter. I'm a trumpet player too. There are reams of stuff written about the proper embouchure needed to play the instrument well and much of it is correct. However, I've known some very good musicians, some at the pro level that deviate from the norm, some quite a bit and they play very well. Same principle, to some degree...…

Thanks for the replies.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
my favorite shark when playing for fun

My favorite shark when playing for fun is to point out these meaningless "flaws" in a person's stroke or stance.

A few inches of our stroke matters. Unless a "flaw" affects those few inches of stroke it doesn't matter.

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite shark when playing for fun is to point out these meaningless "flaws" in a person's stroke or stance.

A few inches of our stroke matters. Unless a "flaw" affects those few inches of stroke it doesn't matter.

Hu

Correct, it's the "last" few inches............ right at...and during contact.....as soon as the ball leaves cue tip....it dont mean chit.... or at least not much...

Then again, dont take my word.......its all I got!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont you all wish you could do that ....Ok Experts let's hear the lowdown...like it's going to mean something....

Maybe we could all get together and give SVB a stroke lesson.

Matter of fact, maybe we should buy Shane a Digicue and that other thingamgig so he can fix his stroke.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matter of fact, maybe we should buy Shane a Digicue and that other thingamgig so he can fix his stroke.

I don't think you know how the digicue actually works. I would bet the digicue says he already has a straight stroke. What he does at the end of the transition will have no bearing on results.

Seems to me pretty much every top pro from Europe and Asia has strong and solid fundamentals.

AlexZander40

The topic of this thread is just "one" of the things that most all instructors "harp on" (snake oil) but, in reality most EVERY real strong player DOES NOT have ANYTHING that would even resemble good mechanics as PREACHED.

IMO....., as most strong players I know personally agree is that the very worst thing a player that is NOT a bigginer can do is:

Try to play to "machine-like"....... instead of:

Moving as fluidly as possible.

Nobody plays at their best while "thinking" about their "insert anything".....

Let your brain / muscles....... learn/burn movements THEN:

While in play and ESPECIALLY when under the gun...... you WILL NEVER THINK about all that chit.

The elite Snooker, English 8-ball and Chinese 8-ball players have amazingly solid fundamentals. Hence, why they are the world's best cue sports players. Those rounded pockets make you have better fundamentals, or you do not making a living at their game.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you know how the digicue actually works. I would bet the digicue says he already has a straight stroke. What he does at the end of the transition will have no bearing on results.

Seems to me pretty much every top pro from Europe and Asia has strong and solid fundamentals.

Sorry, but I know exactly how it works. I've used one several times. Hit all the parameters first time I used it.

A couple friends of mine use them all the time. Their always talking about how much better the Digicue says they are stroking but..... lol .... I'm still giving them the same weight I was before they got the device.

Matter of fact, I feel that one of them are actually playing worse now than before he started to "figid" with his game.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he shoots that 5 ball like that because he's completely instroke and dialled in.

It's a huge sign of his confidence he has with his stroke. When he's using strokes like that he's at his most dangerous.

Last edited:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not knocking Shane,he is tops but mocking those who advocate frozen elbow and shoulder retardation bullshit in the contemporary field of thinking they have the handle on what a stroke should be..

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Thanks

It appears to me that he added a slight bit of spin. if so then a common technique for spin is to line up center ball and then apply spin by moving the backhand and then stroking straight through at the spin address.

Shane does have a slight hitch in his stroke though that is noticeable when you watch him enough. Kind of a little shoulder dip on the final stroke as he goes to hit the ball. But the cue comes through straight.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I know exactly how it works. I've used one several times. Hit all the parameters first time I used it.

A couple friends of mine use them all the time. Their always talking about how much better the Digicue says they are stroking but..... lol .... I'm still giving them the same weight I was before they got the device.

Matter of fact, I feel that one of them are actually playing worse now than before he started to "figid" with his game.

It is sad you belittle people who are trying to improve their game with your statements above.

My point was the Digicue would say SVB has a perfect stroke already. The Digicue would not tell him anything he doesn't know already. You completely neglected to reply to that. No worries though. I am glad you already have a straight stroke. Good job.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not knocking Shane,he is tops but mocking those who advocate frozen elbow and shoulder retardation bullshit in the contemporary field of thinking they have the handle on what a stroke should be..

I'm right there with you! Most all of the elbow drop police that I know IRL can't play dead.