How many luman's and what color temp do you think is good for my table's light?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an FYI, there’s a number of free phone apps you can use for measuring Lumens at various parts of your table. For me the middle of the table is highest Lumens and it drops off at the corners. I used three 2x2 LED panels (home depot, about $40 each, 5000k) centered over a 9ft table, mounted about 5’8” from the floor. Comfortable color and plenty bright in the corners, high enough to keep from banging your head or cue into... happy with it. The Lumens will vary on the table surface depending on how high the light is hung. With more Lumens you can hang higher, but you don’t want it so high so you’re always seeing a blinding panel. Think about hanging at a height to get an arena effect with the table bright and the rest of the room dim, that’s a nice look.
This is the route I want to go, three 2x2 panels.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you have any pics you can share or links of the lights you used?

Around $50 with tax for 4 pkg. Home Depoe
At 700 lumens/65w each, 2800 for the table.
2 rows of these may be over kill.
To eliminate shadows, that's what it will take with the lamps
on that slight angle from the outside in.

newlightcam.b600.jpg

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
While it isn't setup, the light I'll be using has four 8' LED lamps at 4000k.

I cut some egg crate diffusers, painted them black and they will be set in frame to mimic other popular lights.

At some point when the room is done I'll put some photos up. The light came with table, it was stained ebony but I may sand it and paint it black. Unsure yet. Unless the pic shows up below.

Table Light 4000k https://imgur.com/a/KSCVYlC

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it isn't setup, the light I'll be using has four 8' LED lamps at 4000k.

I cut some egg crate diffusers, painted them black and they will be set in frame to mimic other popular lights.

At some point when the room is done I'll put some photos up. The light came with table, it was stained ebony but I may sand it and paint it black. Unsure yet. Unless the pic shows up below.

Table Light 4000k https://imgur.com/a/KSCVYlC
Looks good. I think a LED(s) panel is the way I'll go. Question is, will I still need a diffuser? I've never heard of painting them black.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Finely diffused LED @ ~4300k - 5000k temp (closest to pure white) is super over a table regardless of cloth color or other variables. It's good clean/crisp, easy on the eyes, and when using a good panel doesn't allow a lot of light pollution.... The light 'footprint' covers the table, while the room itself remains relatively dark if you wish.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Looks good. I think a LED(s) panel is the way I'll go. Question is, will I still need a diffuser? I've never heard of painting them black.

I may end up rebuilding that fixture in the future with panels, but I want to see how it spreads light over the table first. I only painted them flat black to help with any potential glare from white egg crates.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may end up rebuilding that fixture in the future with panels, but I want to see how it spreads light over the table first. I only painted them flat black to help with any potential glare from white egg crates.

The best diffusers to use are the chrome plated ones as they reflect the light best for a more effective spread. I would think you aren't going to get great coverage with flat diffusers as it defeats the purpose of reflecting.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are going to go with LED's and plan to use diffusers, make sure the panel are designed to be used with diffusers. My buddy retrofitted his fluorescent fixture to use LED bulbs. He bought the clear LED tubes which caused the light to be tiger stripped with the diffusers. Upon research, you need to use frosted LED tubes with diffusers. I'm not sure how this translates to panels.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
The best diffusers to use are the chrome plated ones as they reflect the light best for a more effective spread. I would think you aren't going to get great coverage with flat diffusers as it defeats the purpose of reflecting.

X2:thumbup:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Diamond table and matching light, but they are not scheduled for delivery until late next month.

I ordered the Diamond recommended LED light bulbs, which are 5000K. I was stacking up more stuff for the Gameroom yesterday and noticed on the packaging that the bulbs they sent are 4000K.

I contacted the company and they shipped out the 5000K bulbs this morning. They told me to keep both and have the electrician try both before finalizing the setup. They have found that customers tend to prefer one over the other but did not indicate which was the more popular.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to go with LED's and plan to use diffusers, make sure the panel are designed to be used with diffusers. My buddy retrofitted his fluorescent fixture to use LED bulbs. He bought the clear LED tubes which caused the light to be tiger stripped with the diffusers. Upon research, you need to use frosted LED tubes with diffusers. I'm not sure how this translates to panels.
Makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4000k is what I have. It puts out a bright white light but not lightning white, if that makes sense.
Yeah I'm leaning between 4000 & 5000k. 5000 is preferred for a workshop, but not sure if I want it for my home practice table.

Gearheadzs

I converted my Gc4 9' light to Led panels. Used two 2x4 5000k dimmable Led panels from home depot, added parabolic lovers (aka diffusers), (3\8) squares if I recall, from an online vendor( hard to find), and added a wireless dimming module and wireless switch plate that sticks to the wall to turn on and dim with (also stores favorite brightness setting). Basically, a dimmable light without extra wires in the wall needed. Plug and play. As bright or as dim as I want, 0 brightness in eyes anywhere around the table, no grid lines, shadowing or bright spots on table. 51" from Playing field to louvers.
works great, have had no complaints.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I converted my Gc4 9' light to Led panels. Used two 2x4 5000k dimmable Led panels from home depot, added parabolic lovers (aka diffusers), (3\8) squares if I recall, from an online vendor( hard to find), and added a wireless dimming module and wireless switch plate that sticks to the wall to turn on and dim with (also stores favorite brightness setting). Basically, a dimmable light without extra wires in the wall needed. Plug and play. As bright or as dim as I want, 0 brightness in eyes anywhere around the table, no grid lines, shadowing or bright spots on table. 51" from Playing field to louvers.

works great, have had no complaints.
Sounds nice. Can you provide and pics? I was thinking two 2x4 panels would be too much.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe this applies to all light

And here it is hung. It's too high for sure. Near 8' to the bottom. I just needed light to work on the room.

https://imgur.com/gallery/C2Em7Yu

Building was completed today so it's getting close to being a room.

I was dealing with UV lights long ago and learned that the strength at twice the distance was only one-fourth as strong. Adjusting distance on a light that doesn't please once the table is in may be all it needs.

Hu

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was dealing with UV lights long ago and learned that the strength at twice the distance was only one-fourth as strong. Adjusting distance on a light that doesn't please once the table is in may be all it needs.

Hu

The intensity of radiation (any form) is inversely proportional the the square of the distance.
For example: At 1/3 the distance, intensity (brightness) is 9X.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Makes it even more important

The intensity of radiation (any form) is inversely proportional the the square of the distance.
For example: At 1/3 the distance, intensity (brightness) is 9X.

Thanks! That makes distance even more important. The numbers I gave happened to apply to the very close distance of the medical lights I was dealing with.

Hu

RoadRash57

Registered
I installed 4 2x2 led panels in my basement's drop ceiling.The panels are color tunable and dimmable. They cost about $40 each. I use a meter to measure light levels, and use a dimmer switch to set the lights at 600 lumens at the table surface. I have the color temperature set to 4000K which I find to be the most comfortable setting.

Here are some helpful links:

WPA light specs: https://wpapool.com/equipment-specifications/#Lights
LED panels: https://www.lightup.com/2ftx2ft-wattage-adjustable-color-tunable-led-backlit-flat-panel-36-45w-dimmable.html
Light meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018QLIVSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1