Did it hit the point?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No tit. Had a touch of outside which caused the ball to dive nearly perpendicular into the bottom rail. The remaining rotation brought it into the 9 instead of out past it. Any billiards player will tell you it's easily doable. He did point to center table though.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No point. He wanted the cb where he pointed his cue, up table.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll let SJM call it. He had a great view from the first row.
Yeah, I thought that was Stu. As the announcers said, I think he hit the point/facing which killed the cue ball, changed the rebound angle and left him perfect shape in the far corner. He was supposed to come off the cushion straight back up the table for shape in the same pocket.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I thought that was Stu. As the announcers said, I think he hit the point/facing which killed the cue ball, changed the rebound angle and left him perfect shape in the far corner. He was supposed to come off the cushion straight back up the table for shape in the same pocket.

Playing at half speed, looks like he clears the point and sounds like the announcers are extremely drunk.

I think he was trying to be cute and go side/ end/ side to center table, after contact with the OB.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you go frame-by-frame, you can see the cue ball bend forward as it comes off the first cushion. As mentioned above, it is going almost straight into the second cushion when it gets there. Also, it looked like he had some right spin on the ball. Maybe he hit a little point but mostly it was what he did with the ball. He was lucky to end up with perfect up-table position. He could as easily have hit it at an angle that would have required a diagonal cut to the other head pocket.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Like just about everybody else, I also do not think he hit the point but used right/outside english intending to come up past the nine to cut it into the same corner and ran into it instead.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mistakenly said he used inside in my op. It was outside.

Seems to me he had 3 choices. I don't think the stop shot was an option because he had too much angle.

Draw one rail across the table and back across to get above the 9. Problem there is he could run into the 10.

Go three rails with inside to get above it. I might have tried that because it looks like a less problematic way to get above the 9.

The shot he chose. His only mistake was too much outside causing it to run into the 9.

I also noticed on the next shot he hit the rail 2 1/2 diamonds in front of the pocket on a 10 foot table. He is such a straight shooter I'm thinking he played it that way.