Reload this Page Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth
Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth
Old
  (#1)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth - 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Okay, you're a pool hustler. Do you have a regular job, pay social security, maybe a retirement? What time at night do you have to leave your house to make some pay? Are you married? I'm asking these questions because I love the game. I think it's as complicated as chess BUT I would never admire the guys that try to make money at it. I was pretty good at golf, but we had a beer afterwards and we were home with our wives afterwards. I don't play league anymore because it starts at 7PM and hate watching a 2 or 3 play pool. I'm not sure if a pool hustler hustling right now would even own a computer, but maybe we'll see.
In the 1980's my son got interested in pool at age 13. We used to go down to the Cue Club in Las Vegas and play. Everyone told me I should come out about midnight or so to watch the world champions in 8 ball or 9 ball play One Pocket. I would love to see them play (at noon or so) but I never did, I'm in bed when they go out.
So much a different life that what most of us have.
Please tell us how much you enjoy your skill..

Member of NRA

Last edited by Prairie dog; 12-14-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
12-14-2018, 05:07 PM

Gotta be ready to go at any minute, really.

I think I've probably won more money during the day, but that could also be due to unspeakable factors

Old
  (#3)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

12-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Gotta be ready to go at any minute, really.

I think I've probably won more money during the day, but that could also be due to unspeakable factors
ÖÖÖ.just a Gigooloooooo

Old
  (#4)
FuManchu
Not a Pro Player
FuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 05:14 PM

"Pool Hustlers" are the reason this game is dying. Recreational players don't want to walk in a pool hall and be bothered to gamble by some drug addicted ball of puss trying to hustle them out of their money. There are no successful "pool hustlers" anymore. You can spot them a mile away. Most of the time they are just trying to win some fast cash to get their next fix. The world doesn't need pool huslters. The world needs more guys like Charlie Bryant that actually want to promote the game and make it better. Guys that want to create fair tournaments and stop the cheating and sideways BS that has been going on for far too long. The pool world doesn't need hustlers, stop glorifying them.

Player-SP2 Revo
Break Cue-BK Rush
Jump Cue-Predator
Case-JB Rugged

"Run racks, not your mouth"

Old
  (#5)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuManchu View Post
"Pool Hustlers" are the reason this game is dying. Recreational players don't want to walk in a pool hall and be bothered to gamble by some drug addicted ball of puss trying to hustle them out of their money. There are no successful "pool hustlers" anymore. You can spot them a mile away. Most of the time they are just trying to win some fast cash to get their next fix. The world doesn't need pool huslters. The world needs more guys like Charlie Bryant that actually want to promote the game and make it better. Guys that want to create fair tournaments and stop the cheating and sideways BS that has been going on for far too long. The pool world doesn't need hustlers, stop glorifying them.
I did not see the OP as "glorifying" them. Them guys are part of the game...like it or not.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#6)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-14-2018, 05:25 PM

most pool hustlers are bums

some call themselves pro players
seldom do they make enough to support themself
or a family

seldom do they make money gambling
my guess is that if you took the stake horse out
of the equation the average pool player would nor survive long

i refer to the main source of income is from dumping games
not all,i do not want to imply that this is the source of income of all without exception
my guess it would be closer to only 50%,their other big source is borrowing with no
intention of paying back

over the years i have always enjoyed playing players with stakehorses
because they match up easier and lose more money

another favorite is betting against the player being staked

r
there used to be a coloful band of merry men
traveling the country,playing pool and other games for fun and profit

they loved the game and often traveled to find action and compete with others
testing their abilities

some made money,most were fo quit as they couldn't make a living

these types are still around ,struggling for the most part,usually
not far from the bill collector

another bunch is composed of working men who enjoy the cowboy dream
they played and loved the game and enjoy stakes playing

guys like Alex compose another breed,he makes money somewhere
and plays stakes games,formal tournaments could never support him

i wouldn't call him a hustler,but i would think he is a typical pro player

and my guess is he is the best player alive now

i hope that i haven't ruined your image of the hustler,i hate
to be the first to call him a bum

still there is a lot of fun playing these guys who
are so smart in their own eyes

Last edited by deanoc; 12-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Old
  (#7)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
most pool hustlers are bums

some call themselves pro players
seldom do they make enough to support themself
or a family

seldom do they make money gambling
my guess is that if you took the stake horse out
of the equation the average pool player would nor survive long

i refer to the main source of income is from dumping games
not all,i do not want to imply that this is the source of income of all without exception
my guess it would be closer to only 50%,their other big source is borrowing with no
intention of paying back

over the years i have always enjoyed playing players with stakehorses
because they match up easier and lose more money

another favorite is betting against the player being staked

i hope that i haven't ruined your image of the hustler,i hate
to be the first to call him a bum

still there is a lot of fun playing these guys who
are so smart in their own eyes
I love the game of pool and admire those that have it totally knocked, just like I did the guys that can shoot 65 on a golf course. it's a total skill level that they spend years on and they are the best. BUT, how do they get along with life? Where is the wife, house, medical insurance, retirement, and the other things most of us find valuable in life?

Old
  (#8)
FuManchu
Not a Pro Player
FuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond reputeFuManchu has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie dog View Post
I love the game of pool and admire those that have it totally knocked, just like I did the guys that can shoot 65 on a golf course. it's a total skill level that they spend years on and they are the best. BUT, how do they get along with life? Where is the wife, house, medical insurance, retirement, and the other things most of us find valuable in life?
They don't exist because a pool hustler cant provide for himself more less a family and bills.

Player-SP2 Revo
Break Cue-BK Rush
Jump Cue-Predator
Case-JB Rugged

"Run racks, not your mouth"

Old
  (#9)
knifemakermike
Registered
knifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond reputeknifemakermike has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 06:11 PM

This isnít 1940, almost everyone is knowledgeable now or can be about a hustle. All hustlers do is annoy people and ruin pool. When I was in college and working at a pool hall, I might get a ďhustlerĒ or road player in once in awhile. Iím not good at pool, slightly below average but I love to play. Iíll dump $60-100 to anyone, but if you try and ďhustleĒ me itís insulting and Iíd give the ultimate hustle back. I would run a blackjack game after hours and if I got hustled Iíd let them play..... needless to say just hustlers canít hold on to their money.

Iíve yet to ever meet one that was successful and they arenít good for pool. Most decent places kick them out pretty quick.

Old
  (#10)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

12-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemakermike View Post
This isnít 1940, almost everyone is knowledgeable now or can be about a hustle. All hustlers do is annoy people and ruin pool. When I was in college and working at a pool hall, I might get a ďhustlerĒ or road player in once in awhile. Iím not good at pool, slightly below average but I love to play. Iíll dump $60-100 to anyone, but if you try and ďhustleĒ me itís insulting and Iíd give the ultimate hustle back. I would run a blackjack game after hours and if I got hustled Iíd let them play..... needless to say just hustlers canít hold on to their money.

Iíve yet to ever meet one that was successful and they arenít good for pool. Most decent places kick them out pretty quick.
I would love to hear about pool "world champions" and where they are today. We know a few of them but how many others are alcoholics and owe someone everything. Very tough to put everything into pool and make it in life forever. A few have done it.

Old
  (#11)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie dog View Post
Makes me think of ol Lee Trevino, " Pressure is playing for $10 - when you donít have a dime in your pocket.Ē

Old
  (#12)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Makes me think of ol Lee Trevino, " Pressure is playing for $10 - when you donít have a dime in your pocket.Ē
Been there, done that! How well you play is all about how you handle the pressure. LOL!

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#13)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 06:49 PM

You cannot be a world class pool player unless you have a goofyass nickname. It is mandatory!

Once you have a goofyass nickname everybody knows you and you cannot hustle.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#14)
HawaiianEye
Banned
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 07:02 PM

You need to define "hustle".

Are you talking the type of player who "hides his speed" and plays lesser players, or are you including people who play at a higher level than MOST people and don't hide their speed who make money "gambling"?

A couple of decades ago, you didn't have to play pool full-time to make lots of money. You could have a job and make as much, or more, as you could working just by staying in action during your non-working hours.

I have played for and made money thousands of times, but I've never went into a place and acted like I didn't know how to play in order to trap a sucker.

When I played outside my normal pool hall, I would walk into bars and pool halls in other towns and states and just challenge whatever table had a money game going on. Back in the day, there almost always was some sort of ring game going on and all you had to do was add your name to the list or put a quarter on the table if it was in a bar.

I never tried to "sneak up" on somebody and take advantage of them. I would say I took "advantage" over most of the people I beat out of money, but it wasn't because I was making them think they could win. If they asked me how well I played, I'd always say "pretty good", or something to that effect. I would ask them, "you think I'd be offering to get in this game with all you sharks if I didn't know how to play?" My advantage was that I started working in a pool hall as a young teen and had spent thousands and thousands of hours practicing and actually playing the town's best players for money. Another advantage I had as a "kid", was that I was a "kid". Everybody thinks they can beat a "kid" and will refuse to quit if they have a lot of their friends watching and betting on the side. It is a "manhood" thing...can't let anybody see a "kid" beating you.

More people have tried hustling me than the other way around. When you are playing alone in a strange place, people will sometimes come up and attempt to get a money game going. I was never shy about playing somebody I didn't know, so I normally would jump right into a game with them and I usually came away with their money.

Reminds of once, a few years ago, when a guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to play some cheap 9-ball. I asked him, "how much" and he said $3 a game. I've seen this guy play for lots of money before, but he'd never seen me play. He has a Gold Crown in his house and he sometimes had Allison Fisher come to his house to gamble with him when she was in Hawaii. They would play for hundreds. She always spotted him something and won.

Him and I played for an hour, or so, and I was up 18 games on him and he quit. I didn't try to sucker him into anything, even though I know I could have gotten him to play for more if I had "let him win" a few.

Most people would have "laid down" and tried to milk him. I just played my normal game and let him decide if he wanted to pump it up or ask for something. He didn't.

Old
  (#15)
Stones
YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Stones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond repute

12-14-2018, 07:06 PM

What do you call a pool hustler with no girlfriend?

Homeless!

Stones

"A friend will help you move but a good friend will help you move the body."

"My girlfriend doesn't care what I do when I'm away at the poolroom, as long as I don't have a good time."

"Welcome to all Pool Players, Railbirds and Other Liars."

Öthe old Lakota was wise. He knew that a manís heart, away from nature, becomes hard; he knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to lack of respect for humans, too. So he kept his children close to natureís softening influence.

Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: