Restore an MO-3...or No?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Meucci Original MO-3 series in 1975, not long after the factory in Memphis opened. I bought it in Nashville as part of the first shipment that was sent. I bought it because it was $80, and the MO-4 (with points) was $120, and I did not have that much money. This was my second cue, my first being a leather wrapped Adam, and I wanted a second one to have when I went off to college. (The Adam was loaned to a girlfriend at college who I worked with improving her pool game. She won the annual 8 Ball tourney at the college with it. She was unwilling to give it back when we parted ways.)

I just dropped off two of my Richard Black cues with his apprentice, Scott Gilmore, so that they can be refinished. I brought some other cues that needed tips or shaft refinish and what not. The old Meucci was in one of my cases, and I told him I'd likely not do anything with it.

Scott said the Meucci was in excellent shape and that he could restore it to as-new condition. It would be in the mid-$200s. It was not really the money; I was just unsure whether I wanted to restore a cue that I purchased new for $80 and has minimal sentimental value.

I am sort of on the fence about this. When I told Scott to not restore that one, my wife spoke up and said, "Well, I can use that one, then." So, were that the case, I probably should restore it. I thought I get some reactions and maybe push me one way or the other regarding the restore.

I don't have a picture I can find of the cue. below are two pictures I found on the web. The first is the original brochure from budgetcues.com. If that's the original brochure, I don't know why they show the MO-3 at $90 when it was $80, nor why the MO-4 is shown at $115 when it was $120. The cue is not very clear, but I found a small picture of the butt of an MO-3 that looks more accurate regarding color of the wood.

Anyway, restore or no?

MO.jpg

MO-3 Butt.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For collector $ value purposes, the rule is always to leave as original as possible and not restore. Only reason to restore might be if someone is going to start playing with it again. I agree it is indeed tempting to get it restored to looking new or even better than new by a reputable cue maker / refinisher.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For collector $ value purposes, the rule is always to leave as original as possible and not restore. Only reason to restore might be if someone is going to start playing with it again.

That would make sense. But, I'm not collecting. In fact, I am getting rid of as much stuff as I can. My mother did the same thing years before she passed, and I appreciated that. I don't want to burden my wife with having to get rid of stuff that was important to me at different points in time.

So, I'm still on the fence. If I sell it, I can't see getting much for it. If I restore it AND Julie gets interested enough to play with it once the table arrives, then restoring is much cheaper than having Scott make her a new cue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you are on Facebook, join the Meucci groups and ask there for opinions. There some huge collectors there

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say no. The cue has earned each and every mark on it.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. I would get the cue refinished if you plan on keeping it.

It isn't worth much, it will never be worth much.

Collector value? Nope not really.

It has a great history, and if you like it refinish it, and enjoy the cue.

I have a couple Corvettes and folks are always saying "collector car", by far, almost none of them are collectable. Unless you have a big block or some other special model, mostly they have depreciated like most other cars. This is especially true with the C7 (2014-2019). The only good thing is guys buying a 2015 C7 with around 5K miles for $30K, and the original sticker was $60-70K.

Enjoy the cue.

Ken

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Meucci Original MO-3 series in 1975, not long after the factory in Memphis opened. I bought it in Nashville as part of the first shipment that was sent. I bought it because it was $80, and the MO-4 (with points) was $120, and I did not have that much money. This was my second cue, my first being a leather wrapped Adam, and I wanted a second one to have when I went off to college. (The Adam was loaned to a girlfriend at college who I worked with improving her pool game. She won the annual 8 Ball tourney at the college with it. She was unwilling to give it back when we parted ways.)

I just dropped off two of my Richard Black cues with his apprentice, Scott Gilmore, so that they can be refinished. I brought some other cues that needed tips or shaft refinish and what not. The old Meucci was in one of my cases, and I told him I'd likely not do anything with it.

Scott said the Meucci was in excellent shape and that he could restore it to as-new condition. It would be in the mid-$200s. It was not really the money; I was just unsure whether I wanted to restore a cue that I purchased new for $80 and has minimal sentimental value.

I am sort of on the fence about this. When I told Scott to not restore that one, my wife spoke up and said, "Well, I can use that one, then." So, were that the case, I probably should restore it. I thought I get some reactions and maybe push me one way or the other regarding the restore.

I don't have a picture I can find of the cue. below are two pictures I found on the web. The first is the original brochure from budgetcues.com. If that's the original brochure, I don't know why they show the MO-3 at $90 when it was $80, nor why the MO-4 is shown at $115 when it was $120. The cue is not very clear, but I found a small picture of the butt of an MO-3 that looks more accurate regarding color of the wood.

Anyway, restore or no?

View attachment 552132

View attachment 552133
One in really good cond. is worth about $300. Regardless of what you do to it that's where you're at.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One in really good cond. is worth about $300. Regardless of what you do to it that's where you're at.

Thanks for the info! I'm surprised it's worth that. All my cues have been stored correctly, so that pays off. I think I'll give Scott a call and see where he is on the Blacks (new linen on one and a refinish on one that had a bad batch of sealer that yellowed). I'll have him put it on the lathe and be sure everything is as it should be. Then I might restore. Better than having a cheap house cue when friends come over to play. New 9' Diamond scheduled to be complete on August 10th, if COVID cooperates.

UltraLD

I know it's a long shot, but do you still have your MO-3 and would you be willing to sell it if you do?

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Well here you go. These are the same cue. Well they are 2 different cues. One is refinished the other is all yellowed and looks shabby. The refinished one looks so much better and the other will be refinished eventually. They don’t even look like the same wood, but they are. I usually use the shabby one because I like the shaft better. A refinish can do wonders for eye appeal. Oh if anyone doubts the cues are both rosewood. The second one might not be. But Yellow plus red makes orange. And that thing is so yellowed the grey rings look yellow. The shaft ring is dark grey like on the left cue. So I’m hoping it is. And I could be wrong, but only remember the p-90 coming in rosewood.

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: