Any idea what wood this is ?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Hello,

I am hoping that the collective expertise here can identify this wood. Here is what I know :

- came from Malaysia or nearby, it was the cross-members on a pallet with 150lbs of Cisco gear

- very dense, I'd say like teak but not as dense as ebony (I can get an accurate number if that helps)

- machines fine, finished fine, but it is very hard (I couldn't pull the nails that held on the platform plywood :eek: )

- the heart-wood is dark and the sapwood is light, as you can see

- the grain is very straight, the light part looks a lot like red oak

Any ideas ? I'd like to have some idea before I send the square to a friend who is taking up cue building as a hobby. It's been sitting in my garage for years, and while I've made good use of a couple of the cross-members (the tool stand is a big chunk of one, finished of course), it's likely better used by my friend 150 miles to the south, so I ripped the last piece into a turning square. Yes, that unfinished square is the same wood as the finished tool stand.

Dave

Attachments

• What-wood-1.jpg
    What-wood-1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 291

DaveK

Silver Member
mahogany is what it looks like

It's much denser and harder than some Honduran mahogany I have. It also works differently, no fuzzy surfaces from any operation. It does look a bit like mahogany though ..

Dave

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And how did you know I was going to build a tool stand for my taps and bits Dave. Just kidding. A friend built a beautiful tv cabinet from pallet timbers.
They were oak. I'm a pallet theif, so whenever I'm around the industrial areas and find any pallets, I always check them out. You never can tell what may be underneath that rough sawn timber.
And if by chance you're talking about me Dave, I appreciate it. And as soon as I get to the point of building, I will definitely turn that into a forearm and not a tool holder.

Last edited:

DaveK

Silver Member
And if by chance you're talking about me Dave, I appreciate it.

:grin: PM me your shipping address Terry.

I have some furniture that is made (by my mother) from old stair treads that came out of an old school during renovations. These boards were about 14" wide and 2" thick, although they were worn down to maybe 1.5" in the center. Mom spent an evening running them through a thickness planner and then we had many many board feet of nice clean oak. Salvage lumber is a great thing imo.

Dave

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Probably oak, it's used a lot in pallets. I've found some nice oak in them aswell. :thumbup:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I recently purchased some Malaysian Rosewood that has a similar pink hue to it.
Just hard as the hubs of hell with an outstanding ping tone.
Nothing outstanding in the figure but certainly cue worthy.

DaveK

Silver Member

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Hello,

I am hoping that the collective expertise here can identify this wood. Here is what I know :

- came from Malaysia or nearby, it was the cross-members on a pallet with 150lbs of Cisco gear

- very dense, I'd say like teak but not as dense as ebony (I can get an accurate number if that helps)

- machines fine, finished fine, but it is very hard (I couldn't pull the nails that held on the platform plywood :eek: )

- the heart-wood is dark and the sapwood is light, as you can see

- the grain is very straight, the light part looks a lot like red oak

Any ideas ? I'd like to have some idea before I send the square to a friend who is taking up cue building as a hobby. It's been sitting in my garage for years, and while I've made good use of a couple of the cross-members (the tool stand is a big chunk of one, finished of course), it's likely better used by my friend 150 miles to the south, so I ripped the last piece into a turning square. Yes, that unfinished square is the same wood as the finished tool stand.

Dave

I'd say it's Nara. common in the Philippines and throughout Asia.

Sherm

DaveK

Silver Member
I'd say it's Nara. common in the Philippines and throughout Asia.

Hmmm, another possibility. The pictures that google turned up all showed Narra with more interesting grain that the wood I have, but of course highly figured woods are more common in projects and their photos. This site has an intersting test that I'll try.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/403585/narra

Thanks Sherm. BTW, you still read rcm ? I recall many moons ago learning that cuemakers use metal lathes from your rcm posts :thumbup2:

Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hmmm, another possibility. The pictures that google turned up all showed Narra with more interesting grain that the wood I have, but of course highly figured woods are more common in projects and their photos. This site has an intersting test that I'll try.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/403585/narra

Thanks Sherm. BTW, you still read rcm ? I recall many moons ago learning that cuemakers use metal lathes from your rcm posts :thumbup2:

Dave

I don't think it's narra. Narra's are not that hard or dense . Maybe Yakal.