Kevin Varney BEM/Purple Heart Cue Review

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have had this cue for about three weeks now, and let me tell you, it usually takes me quite a while (months) to get used to a cue. This one however feels like I have played with it for a very long time. I just feel the hit and balance was custom made for me, but the truth is I purchased it used. The previous owner (whom I do not know) fortunately for me, let it go, and it fell into my hands via a close friend who deals in new and used cues. In fact one of the things that intrigued me about this cue was that Mr. Varney posted a few comments on the for sale thread. He provided some insider cue maker information on the history of this cue that made me think "How interesting, the builder of this cue shows interest of a cue he built, and has no personal gain from a used cue sale."

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=263094&highlight=varney

This tells me that he cares enough about even his older work being passed onto a new person, and takes the time to tell the inside information on the cue. Pretty cool I thought. Now to get onto the cue performance.

Well, the tone of the hit is sweet in my books. That "ting" hit on a great stroke comes very often even with my non professional stroke, and the balance is just right for me. No weight bolt, just great construction, and I must agree with his opinion that Birds Eye Maple forearm combined with a Purple Heart handle makes a fantastic marriage of woods to give you that hit. Even though this cue is about three or four years old and it has been an every day player the finish is still superb, clear, smooth, shiney and nothing is chipped or lifting at any joint or ring area. No rattles or buzzes, still tight and solid with great feedback on how I am stroking.

Unfortunately I cannot say how a Varney shaft performs as this cue came with an original Predator 314 blank fitted with his matching ring work as well as an OB Classic shaft also with the matching ring work. So far I use just the 314 and it suits me just fine.

I have even ordered a custom made set of J/P's from Jim Baxter for my new aquisition as I plan on never letting this one go. My now every day player.

My thanks to Mr. Varney for making a great cue, and also to Scott for giving me the shot at purchasing this cue.

I am in no way associated with Kevin Varney, nor do I work for him. Just love this cue and wanted to pass on my review.

Cheers

Walter aka headmuses. :thumbup:

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Walter thank you so much for the review & I'm pleased you've found a cue worthy of being your every day player. Please don't hesitate if you ever need anything at all. Welcome to the Varney family. :)

Below are a few pics of Walters cue...

Attachments

• 100825 (1).JPG
    100825 (1).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 100825 (3).JPG
    100825 (3).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,315
  • 100825 (2).JPG
    100825 (2).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,384
  • 100825 (4).JPG
    100825 (4).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,367

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Just to share a few more pics...here are a few of Walters cue early in the build. His is the nearest one in the pic with the better bem. :)

Attachments

• 100801 (1).JPG
    100801 (1).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 100801 (2).JPG
    100801 (2).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 100801 (4).JPG
    100801 (4).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 100801 (5).JPG
    100801 (5).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,306

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
By request I've had a couple asking to see what the lesser bem cue looked like completed...below are the pics. Thank you for looking.:)

Attachments

• 100914 (1).JPG
    100914 (1).JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 100914 (2).JPG
    100914 (2).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 100914 (3).JPG
    100914 (3).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 100914 (5).JPG
    100914 (5).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,270

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the pictures Kevin, now everyone can see what a beauty it is.

By the way...where is the second cue?...LOL, Just kidding, if I buy another one my wife is going to put me in the dog house.

Going to go shoot a bunch of racks again tomorrow. My interest in pool has been re-awakened. :D:D:D

W.

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Kevin also makes a great break/jump cue. I have 3 of his cues, and they all play better than I do.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Kevin...

By request I've had a couple asking to see what the lesser bem cue looked like completed...below are the pics. Thank you for looking.:)

I have to say that that is probably one of the best uses of purple heart I have seen in a cue. I typically don't like purple heart, except in rare occasion, it just seems too drab to me, but that use of it really works.

Jaden

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if its ok to ask, may i know the balance point of this cue?

Balance point is 16 and 1/4 inches from the joint face. Also I had Jim Baxter make me up a set of matching joint protectors for the cue. He makes great J/P's.