Who's the best pool player that also makes cues?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best player that's a cue maker? Sigel.

Best cue maker that's a player? Stroud.

Happen to notice they both started making cues at JOSS? :thumbup:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Pete Tascarella, solid A player who makes very nice cues. I was rooting for pete in the super senior event.

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Best player that's a cue maker? Sigel.

Best cue maker that's a player? Stroud.

Happen to notice they both started making cues at JOSS? :thumbup:

Could not have put that better myself, Doc. Right on the money!

Braden

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Mike Lambros.

Joe Thomas

There are many that started making cues because they were not happy with what was available or seen it as a way to make some money.

Get the Blue Book and read the profiles of the cue makers. Just about everyone has played at a high level.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Get the Blue Book and read the profiles of the cue makers. Just about everyone has played at a high level.

One need not read the Bluebook to know that. It's obvious.

What was asked though was:
Who's the best pool player that also makes cues?

Best. That kind of narrows it down real fast. :wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's too bad that time has to creep up on everyone.

Sigel was making cues, if he isn't still, so I guess you'd have to call him the best cue maker/player but, without him in the mix, Bobby would have my vote. And his cues are top notch as well. :)

This is my take....Sigel #1...Bobby Hunter #2.
Shawn Putnam doesn't have a world title in his resume.
Bill Stroud is top 5 for sure.

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Dennis Searing has won a pro tournament and is one of the best cue makers of all time!

On both counts he beats Bill Stroud.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
This topic has came up before and can be looked at many ways. Varner and Sigel would obviously be top two but imo they should not be counted. It would be like if Shane decided to make cues or put his name on them. Quality and experience are the two biggest factors when it comes to the cuemaker/player aspect. Rick Howard, Bill Stroud, Paul Mottey, Mike G, Joey Gold, Bobby Hunter, Richard Harris, Searing...etc. Paul Mottey is one you dont hear about to often and I really didnt know Dennis played that high of speed. This would have to be grouped into categories like who makes the most expensive cue but also can play a little. Erine plays some but I watched him get beat by a legitiment average APA skill level 6 a few years ago at the DCC. Dennis makes a more expensive cue than Bobby Hunter but he probably wouldnt beat him playing straight pool. Maybe someone needs to start a cuemaker's only tournament, it would definetly be something different. All in all my vote goes to Rick Howard.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic has came up before and can be looked at many ways. Varner and Sigel would obviously be top two but imo they should not be counted. It would be like if Shane decided to make cues or put his name on them.

I don't understand discounting Sigel. Varner I understand.

Sigel worked in the JOSS shop and actually became a cuemaker, you could say he apprenticed there then he went on to make his own cues. I don't think anybody is talking about the cues that were just branded with his name.

Varner has had several lines branded with his name but did not make cues AFAIK.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't understand discounting Sigel. Varner I understand.

Sigel worked in the JOSS shop and actually became a cuemaker, you could say he apprenticed there then he went on to make his own cues. I don't think anybody is talking about the cues that were just branded with his name.

Varner has had several lines branded with his name but did not make cues AFAIK.

You are correct, Varner does NOT make cues, thus he cannot be considered a cuemaker. He sells cues, that someone else makes in a factor, to the specs he wants, and puts his name on it. Nothing wrong with that at all , but it makes the person a businessman, and not a cuemaker....... He still one of the best to ever play the game :)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Guys,

How about Dan (DJ) Heidrich? Dan purchased all of Mike Sigel's cue making equipment a few years ago. Not sure if he is quite at the top of the list as a cue maker yet but he plays real, real sporty. Moved the last of his equipment from Rochester to his new home base just South of Charlotte last week. He gets my vote.

Lyn

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic has came up before and can be looked at many ways. Varner and Sigel would obviously be top two but imo they should not be counted. It would be like if Shane decided to make cues or put his name on them. Quality and experience are the two biggest factors when it comes to the cuemaker/player aspect. Rick Howard, Bill Stroud, Paul Mottey, Mike G, Joey Gold, Bobby Hunter, Richard Harris, Searing...etc. Paul Mottey is one you dont hear about to often and I really didnt know Dennis played that high of speed. This would have to be grouped into categories like who makes the most expensive cue but also can play a little. Erine plays some but I watched him get beat by a legitiment average APA skill level 6 a few years ago at the DCC. Dennis makes a more expensive cue than Bobby Hunter but he probably wouldnt beat him playing straight pool. Maybe someone needs to start a cuemaker's only tournament, it would definetly be something different. All in all my vote goes to Rick Howard.

A cuemaker's only tournament, now thats a golden idea!

I'm just going to say it becaue no one else has, but Al Romero. He still hits 'em pretty good at this age, and I hear he was a great play in his prime.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, Varner does NOT make cues, thus he cannot be considered a cuemaker. He sells cues, that someone else makes in a factor, to the specs he wants, and puts his name on it. Nothing wrong with that at all , but it makes the person a businessman, and not a cuemaker....... He still one of the best to ever play the game :)

I have never even remotely suggested there was anything wrong with it at all.

He is in fact my all time favorite player by the way.