R chudy
J McWorter
T Guerra
K Davis
and on and on.
I have had a mali play light out.
alot of people like the old adams cues.

paul dayton.

these are just some of the west coast guys .

why cant we like all of them.

ted tidwell makes a fair cue.

some pinoy cues al of black pearl customs . dino perez rip .

jim baxter
tom hay makes cues.
code 63.

MMike

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing how well JOSS is doing so far. Outside of "other" it seems to be running neck and neck with Scruggs. Don't forget Scruggs came out of the JOSS shop. :wink:

There are numerous great makers. The reality is a top notch pool cue can perform beyond most players IMHO, and there are certainly numerous makers that would fall under "other". So there are numerous possibilities for "the best". I just have to note that one that is considered "mass produced" is running neck and neck with one that is considered "custom". I would also note that Mr Janes is a Hall of Fame member while Mr Scruggs still awaits the honor. Mr Scuggs is a former officer of the ACA, and a legendary cue maker in his own right, of course. I just point out the obvious.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Amazing how well JOSS is doing so far. Outside of "other" it seems to be running neck and neck with Scruggs. Don't forget Scruggs came out of the JOSS shop. :wink:

There are numerous great makers. The reality is a top notch pool cue can perform beyond most players IMHO, and there are certainly numerous makers that would fall under "other". So there are numerous possibilities for "the best". I just have to note that one that is considered "mass produced" is running neck and neck with one that is considered "custom". I would also note that Mr Janes is a Hall of Fame member while Mr Scruggs still awaits the honor. Mr Scuggs is a former officer of the ACA, and a legendary cue maker in his own right, of course. I just point out the obvious.

Meh... I get what you're saying but I wouldn't put too much stock in this poll.

You can't make comparisons until everyone that voted has owned every single cue listed.

Lot's of people have owned Joss cues... if Meucci was listed it'd probably blow everyone out of the water. :grin:

It's all subjective anyway...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh... I get what you're saying but I wouldn't put too much stock in this poll.

You can't make comparisons until everyone that voted has owned every single cue listed.

Lot's of people have owned Joss cues... if Meucci was listed it'd probably blow everyone out of the water. :grin:

I don't put much stock in the poll. I was just pointing out something obvious. And of course, we really can't say anything until the poll is "completed".

Certainly Meucci has numerous loyal fans.

Bob Meucci no longer works in the Meucci shop AFAIK though, and as far as I understand has not done so for some years. Dan Janes, as far as I know still works in the JOSS shop on a daily basis and still in fact produces one-off custom cues out of that very same shop.

Meucci survives as a legend. Bob Meucci himself is a great cue maker, but has essentially nothing to do with Meucci cues today.

Meucci made their name with basically thin ferrules that cracked then moved to flat laminated shafts then "stalled" and were overtaken by imports like Predator. JOSS made laminated shafts (special order) then moved "full circle" back to "plain" maple traditional shafts that now incorporate a short ferrule. There have been import counterfeits of JOSS actually, you never saw such a thing with a Meucci.

The last "off the shelf" JOSS shaft that I weighed came in at over four ounces. That's "off the shelf" from a "mass produced" cue. Many "custom" cue makers will brag about such a shaft weight.

Pick your poison I guess. But for the money, I think that JOSS is a very safe bet.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Efren's $15 cue.
A Hagan laminated bubinga cue.
A Petersen and a Gus.
All great but not as good as an olivewood player's and a bocote sneaky I made.:wink::grin-square:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
cues

Efren's $15 cue.
A Hagan laminated bubinga cue.
A Petersen and a Gus.
All great but not as good as an olivewood player's and a bocote sneaky I made.:wink::grin-square:

joey
I was going to put your name in my list i just didnt know what you name you call your custom cues.

MMike

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best cues I've owed are:

40's Ebony Titlist Conversion by AE Cues w/ Steve Lomax old growth shaft
Tascarella
1974 Joss
1981 Schon S14

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Best cues I've owed are:

40's Ebony Titlist Conversion by AE Cues w/ Steve Lomax old growth shaft
Tascarella
1974 Joss
1981 Schon S14

I agree on the A-E Titlist conversion
I have a purpleheart Titlist from A-E and it is a great playing cue.
Jeff Fugal does a remarkable job on Titlist conversions.

wade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have went thru a lot of high end and low end cues but I have had my Jensen conversion longer than any of the rest. Then my old tascarella would be next in line.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too narrow

As others have said, the list is too narrow to represent anything but a nice poll of these 25 cue makers. Notable missings are:
Showman
Searing
Tascarella
Jensen
Joss West
Rauenzahn

All are known for the way they play, not just how they look. The missing list may be long enough for another survey.

Did Paul Motley retire so he could go on tour again?

Greg

Last edited:

Scratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard needs to be on this list. Although give me my Bill Mcdaniel anyday. A great player to me is a cue that give you convidense. What does that for one maybe not for another. Just my 2 cents.