Mirror training aid

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought one of those. Might be exactly what I've been needing.
Thanks Bob!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought one of those. Might be exactly what I've been needing.
Thanks Bob!
I think it's probably most useful for instructors, but let us know how it works for your game. What does it reveal that you are currently unaware of. I wish I had one of these about 50 years ago.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i also bought one
will give a review after i get it and use it

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Made something similar last nite. Looking into it and assessing not easy likely as Bob stated need some to do the looking for you or video.

. Another thing looks like it may not be a mirror but a reflective material as the guys face
Seemed quite blurry.

. Look forward to the reviews.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one. I going to set it on the rail behind an object ball and line it up to a contact point or fraction. I'd also like to see if I'm moving off line as I get down on the shot. Thanks, Bob! :smile:

Best,
Mike

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a training aid that looks pretty useful. It is similar to one done by Bart Mahoney a few years ago but it has some added features. There is a video link in the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snooker-Pool-and-Billiards-Cue-training-aid-/141688771615

The price seems very reasonable.

i just got mine
its well made , sturdy and its easy to set up
comes with a dvd to demonstrate how to use it
i found it to be to be helpful in finding my vision center and watching my stroke for side motion and maintaing a straight stroke
i have problems shooting jacked up (trying to get draw when the cue ball is very close to the rail) and could quickly see how off line i am when i set up
i think this device will help me in my alignment when jacked up
over all i would recommend it as a useful training aid

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received my Cue Training Aid, today. It was around 30 bucks. It's not a glass mirror and it's a little flexible. You don't have to worry about it being too flimsy, yet it has a mirror finish to reflect images pretty well.

I lined up the cue stick and noticed right away that it was quite a bit better than just using a mirror or video camera to figure out my vision center. I immediately noticed the slightest changes in my head position which moved my eyes off of the shot line.

After working with it for about 15 minutes, I could see that this could be a real asset to my game. It showed the slightest change in my alignment and easily picked up any stroke flaws, especially, as it says..."at pace".

I'd give it a big thumbs up :thumbup: for players at every level. It could help any player who thinks they have a straight stroke, find any small flaws. It's simple, yet accurate. Who knew?

Best,
Mike

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if a semi-reflective translucent product like this could be useful as you could see through and shoot through to object balls using it, while still being able to check the reflection.

Some colored perspex on an angle may do the trick. I've seen it used in graphics classed to trace symmetrical designs.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An interesting device, to say the least, but still better likely adapted with video analysis in tandem, so that slow motion or frame by frame can still be seen, or replayed over and over. Some subtleties of one's stroke cannot be seen with the naked eye...but the camera never lies! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I lined up the cue stick and noticed right away that it was quite a bit better than just using a mirror or video camera to figure out my vision center. I immediately noticed the slightest changes in my head position which moved my eyes off of the shot line...

Best,
Mike

An interesting device, to say the least, but still better likely adapted with video analysis in tandem, so that slow motion or frame by frame can still be seen, or replayed over and over. Some subtleties of one's stroke cannot be seen with the naked eye...but the camera never lies! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I found it to be better than video to establish my vision center. The camera has a dominant eye and doesn't blend what both eyes see.

Best,
Mike

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know its been five years now but does anybody recall what this training aid was?

Perhaps Bob can chime in here.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know its been five years now but does anybody recall what this training aid was?

Perhaps Bob can chime in here.

r/DCP
Well, of course the Ebay link is gone. In a quick search, I found this item which may or may not be the same. I don't exactly remember....

The "Cue-Line" cue sports training aid

Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxS-QnkKA8

And in case the youtube video goes away, here is an image:

CropperCapture[540].jpg

It does match my original description of the aid that Bart Mahoney used to sell.

The price is about $50 including shipping from Australia. I think they need to sell it through a US distributor.