My New Cue's Linen Wrap Is Too Slick!

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About a year ago, I switched cues from one with a linen wrap to a no wrap cue. I really got used to the one with no wrap, but I decided to buy a cue that has a Black Irish Linen Wrap installed on it, just because it was such a gorgeous cue and because I didn't think there would be much of an adjustment back to a linen wrap.

I guess I will probably get used to it after a few weeks but I wanted to know if anybody has a suggestion of a way I might be able to get the grip so that it has just a little more friction? Maybe it is mostly because it is a new cue and all wraps are like that new, but if anybody has a suggestion...any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
About a year ago, I switched cues from one with a linen wrap to a no wrap cue. I really got used to the one with no wrap, but I decided to buy a cue that has a Black Irish Linen Wrap installed on it, just because it was such a gorgeous cue and because I didn't think there would be much of an adjustment back to a linen wrap.

I guess I will probably get used to it after a few weeks but I wanted to know if anybody has a suggestion of a way I might be able to get the grip so that it has just a little more friction? Maybe it is mostly because it is a new cue and all wraps are like that new, but if anybody has a suggestion...any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rubbing it down with wax paper will give it stickier feel.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
If waxpaper is not sufficient, apply a small amount of 100% natural beeswax along the length of the wrap and burnish with sheet of white paper to spread -- easy does it. I hold cues so loosely that I can lose my grip on an "unwaxed" cue.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an old Joss that I took 800 grit to.
Worked but f'd the wrap up.

Used wax paper with good results

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

This old thread might help you to find a method to get the needed result.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=409987

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This old thread might help you to find a method to get the needed result.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=409987

Thank you, sir...that was helpful. You know, the funny thing about it is that my cue is also a MEZZ. I guess the slick wrap is just inherent with their cues because they do things a little differently than others. I absolutely love the cue but my hand was slipping very badly, which made me have to grip too tight. After washing it lightly with soap and patting it with a rag to get the soap off, and then patting it dry...it now feels perfect.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, sir...that was helpful. You know, the funny thing about it is that my cue is also a MEZZ. I guess the slick wrap is just inherent with their cues because they do things a little differently than others. I absolutely love the cue but my hand was slipping very badly, which made me have to grip too tight. After washing it lightly with soap and patting it with a rag to get the soap off, and then patting it dry...it now feels perfect.
You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoy it).

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glass Burnishing Works Great On Cuttyhunk Linen Wraps Like Cortland,.

The washing lifts some of the linen strands. Periodically you can just dampen it and rub it dry
by rotationally twisting the wrap in a towel. What I found the wrap feels so much smoother and
yet it remains firm in your grip if you glass burnish the wrap. Just use a heavy round glass object
and lay the butt on a towel and start to rub the wrap from top to bottom all the while pressing very
hard and rubbing as fast as you can. You rotate the wrap so you get the entire wrap. You can do
in sections but finish by using long powerful rubbing of the entire wrap. You’ll feel the heat this
causes and when done, the wrap will have a smooth finish. This works perfect on Cortland Linen
which is on four (4) of my cues and even works on the linen wrap on my old Palmer from the 70’s.

Matt B.

p.s. Enjoy a safe 4th of July & celebrate smartly but exercise caution, i.e., COVID-19.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I brought 4 cues at different times for linen wrapping to Tiger cues. They did a perfect job, replicating the same result all 4 times. When I got the first one home it nearly slipped out of my hand due to it feeling slippery. The linen wasn't pressed too much, I think it had some sealer on it. After a few weeks of playing it turned out perfect.